Author Topic: Looking for feedback - A food question  (Read 4859 times)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Looking for feedback - A food question
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:23:22 pm »
Thinking about a food change -
Anyone using/used :

Natural Balance Ultra Premium (Dick Van Patten)
Eagle Pack Holistic
Wellness Super 5 Mix Chicken
Innova

(my pups are almost 14 months and I am ready for a change - we are using Science Diet Large Breed Adult - rec.  by the vet - my gut tells me it is time for a change to something more healthy)

Vander is a healthy - not fat 132 pounds
Jadis is shorter - but healthy at 117 pounds.

I can't do raw at this time but we make all their treats at home.

Comments/suggestions PLEASE!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for feedback - A food question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:57:20 pm »
Yes, Cass & Sam both are eating Wellness Super 5 Healthy Weight with great results.  Sam now eats 100% Wellness & Cass is eating 2/3 Wellness & 1/3 Innova.  I switched them from 100% Innova for Cass & mostly Duck & Potato for Sam because both were getting a little bit hefty.  Also, I wanted to give them a food that includes blueberries for good urinary tract health, since Cass had a UTI a few months ago.  Their weights are both dropping slowly and they are looking great.  I've been very happy with it as their poops are small & they really like the food.  Innova is also a really good food, so we still use it in combination with the Wellness.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:21:52 pm »
Thank you for the quick feedback.  We are going to see which of the choices is more readily available where we live.  I know I can score all down in Anchorage so I can go with either Innova or Wellness, but I would like to see what we have closer to home in case we would ever need a quick fix.  We are about an hour out of the city but have some great feed and pet stores local as well and I suspect I can get most here as well.  Heading out to check this pm so we can slowly move into the new food.  Sounds like either are a much better choice and you have had no problems!  \\Thanks again!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 05:32:41 pm »
"the girls" used to eat Innova large breed (adult, 25 percent protein/$49 per 33lb bag) and did pretty well.  Sera was the only one that still had ichy, licking problems.  We decided to switch to Innova EVO red meat/large bite, grain-free(protein is 43 percent and $58 per 28lb bag)  Suppose to be the closest to raw diet as a kibble can be.  This has definately helped with the itching and licking, however, Mika has been chunking out on her backend/hips.  I would like them to be on the same food, but I'm realizing that this will not happen.  Mika will need to have less protein to get back and maintain her sleek figure. Shasta (110lbs) has chunked out since we got her.  she gets the same amount of food as Sera(90lbs), but gains or maintains her "heftness".  Shasta isn't as sensitive, so probably will also go back to a less protein diet.  Love the Innova brand for my girls, but the recipe depends on each individual dog.
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005