Author Topic: Spaying a great dane at 6 months  (Read 15697 times)

Offline luvndanes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Spaying a great dane at 6 months
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:37:22 am »
Hi Every one, My name is Jayle and I am getting a great puppy next month.  I have been looking for facts about spaying early and I have also been looking for a great dane forum that doesn't have all the fighting between people.

I found a forum called Danetalkers and they have some discussion in a topic and one of the messages, someone posted a link to what seems like good information about not spaying until my pup is older.  I would like as many opinions as possible.  This is the link to the topic and the message is the next one to the last from a member by the name of Danelover,  http://danetalkers.org/forum/index.php?topic=210.0

I am new to all the message boards so I dont know exactly how to link to that specific message, sorry .  There are other messages talking about spaying in that message board but after I read it, I couldnt find it again.
Let me know what everyone thinks.  Thank you.

jesday

Re: Spaying a great dane at 6 months
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:51:02 am »
I don't know about Great Danes, but when we got our Newfie girl. Our vet said studies have proven that dogs spayed at 5 months of age have virtually none of the problems found in older female dogs who have never been spayed or spayed later in life, even as early as one year.

Basically, the earlier the better.

When we got Sophie back later in the day you'd never know she underwent anything. She was just happy to me home.

Hope this helps

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:05:29 pm »
I would just ask our vet. We asked our old vet how long we should wait before we got our dogs spayed and nuetered and he said at least a year maybe two if they were a larger breed but then our new vet (old vet retired) said that we could have done it as early as 5 months of age after waiting til they were 2. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:07:33 pm »
And this is a GREAT board.  No fighting between owners.  Just ppl that love thier pets and want to share it with ppl that "understand" ;)
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

marypyrs

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:11:59 pm »
Hi Jayle! Welcome aboard! Congratulation s on your new and upcoming puppy. I'll bet you can't wait.

I have NO experience with Danes. I've just loved them from afar. But I think you've come to the right place. There are lots of Dane people here with tons of experience.

Again - Welcome.

Jane

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:08:54 pm »
Welcome, Jayle! The best thing to do is to make yourself as informed as you possibly can on the pros and cons as they pertain to your breed and your situation. Here are two more studies from which to glean information. Whatever decision you make, make it because you really did your homework and you felt it was right for your dog.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

http://www.akcchf.org/pdfs/whitepapers/3-23-08DiscoveriesArticle.pdf
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline elaine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:26:35 pm »
HI,
Already you have had lots of good advise and articles.  My experience with spaying my pyr/GSD cross at 5mnths is still very fresh.  At 10 mnths she started dribbling urine and lots of licking to clean herself to leaving wet patches where she slept or relaxed.
Our vet doesn't think her incontinence is due to being spayed, just that it happens to some bitches.  She is on stilbesterol, which works if taken every 2 days, but cutting back to twice per week (as advised) is not enough. So we're trying a homeopathic along with the stilbesterol, so far (only 10 days) the combo looks like it will work.  I'm also looking into other herbal treatments.
To get back to my point!  If I had all this info. 7mnths ago, I would have waited until after her first heat before having her spayed.  I have always had male dogs previously, which I always had neutered, so this is my first spay experience.  She gets upset when she "leaks" and it did interfere with her concentration at a few obedience classes.  We've since finished those and are now doing puppy agility, which we are both enjoying. She certainly doesn't have the drive of those border collies, trotting is a more ladylike pace!!
Thanks again to all BPO's wonderful advise,
Elaine

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:57:45 pm »
While I don't have a dane, I have done both the early spay and the later spay on my dogs.  I have never seen any problems with either way I went on development.  The only thing that has happened is that Kaila developed spay incontinence after she was spayed.  She is on 1/2 tablet of Proin daily.  She was down to 1/2 tablet every other day but she started leaking again.  I have high hopes that I can drop her back down again soon.  Other than that she is doing fine.  Kaila was spayed before her 1st heat and her sister Cinder was spayed after her 1st heat.  You have gotten some great info.  Good luck in your decision and with your new puppy.  Welcome to the board.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:00 am »
I just had my dane girl spayed at 10 1/2 months. She is only 4 days post op but seems to doing well. She also had her tummy tacked as a preventative measure. She so far has not had incontience problems (keeping my fingers crossed)! If this is your first dane you will love them to pieces! They are so sweet and easy to spoil rotten!  ;D Show us some pics when you can!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties