Author Topic: Need help to "retrain" an older dog  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Shadow1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Need help to "retrain" an older dog
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:45:27 am »
I am the owner of an Alaskan Malamute - about 7 - 8 years old.  My son found her walking along a road and after trying to find her owners - she adopted us.

We haven't had too many major issues with her, she is is a very sweet tempered dog.

The problem I am having with her is that she defecates all over the back yard.  Is there any way to train her to only use one part of the yard? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated -

Lori

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to "retrain" an older dog
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:01:39 am »
Congrats on your new family member. You can take her out on leash and take her to the spot to potty. Since she is older and in a new surrounding this could be part of her way of "marking" her territory. I know Adak likes to go in certain places. It may take a short time, but should work.

Offline Shadow1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:24:58 am »
Thank you, I'm going to try this - starting first thing tomorrow!  Its gets hard to always watch where you step!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »
and you have to post some pics! We love them!!!

Offline Shadow1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:22:13 pm »
I would love to post a picture - but I'm a big loser and can't figure out how to do that!  Can someone take pity and tell me how to do that?  :)

Lori

Offline Shadow1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:32:37 pm »
Wait Maybe I'm not such a loser after all???

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:26 pm »
She looks very happy with your family! My little many loves smaller dogs, he even thinks he is a lap dog and can sit on the back of the couch!

Offline Shadow1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 04:52:53 pm »
She seems to be happy although she complains at least once a day to get a treat from me. We were very nervous when we brought her into the house because we also have a cat.  All three can actually be in the same room and they all seem quite content.  We have never had a dog this size before so we have had to learn quickly.  She is actually the best dog we have ever had.  I HAVE to get her to learn to poop in one area of the yard though - I've already thrown out 2 pair of shoes and my husband went to work with some pretty stinky shoes on the other day - he was not happy :)