Author Topic: Dogs digging out of fence  (Read 8421 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Dogs digging out of fence
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:32:35 am »
Well Buble and Baxter have decided to start digging out of thier yard into ours when we are inside so they can get to the door.  This has been going on for about 2 months  We have tried just refilling the holes and putting objects in the hole so defer them from digging. 

Well this week everyday they are now digging out of thier yard and then going and digging under our privacy fence and getting OUT! Luckily if I am inside I have all the blinds up so I can see our whole front and backyard. 

They also have only gotten as far as the nieghbors house before I am running outside calling thier name and then they come back. 

Does anyone know any tricks or ways to get them to stop digging under their fence or the privacy fence?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs digging out of fence
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:29 am »
I am *bumping* my post cause I am really scared they are going to get hurt. 

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:00:09 am »
We have an underground invisible fence. The dog collar will first "beep", then "vibrate" then if she is real stubborn she will get am mild shock.

They make remote collars that will do this too. They work off a hand-held "walkie-talkie" type device. We use it on Tink in the house to stop chasing the cat and teach her the inside boundaries. We also us it when we go hiking or to my father in laws farm (300 acres) so she can run free and I can call her back with the beep. I have never had to use anything but the beep on the remote collar. It is a great training tool.

You could use it from inside the house and when you saw them digging, give them a beep. My hand held device works with multiple dogs.

It has worked wonders with Tink and we can take her anywhere off leash and still keep her under control. The one I have was made for hunting sporting dogs and is water proof. I have absolutely no complaints with it.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:21:56 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I try to stay outside with them the whole time but most of the time when they go out for longer periods of time is when I am mopping the tile or cleaning out their area (laundry room) in the house so I cant be out thier the whole time. 

They also love to be outside and with a new infant coming I think  that it is going to be harder to be outside with them for longer periods.

We have an electric collar that beeps and shocks.  We tried it on Buble but we can only use the beep because he has to be 6 months before he can recieve the shock and the beep didnt work. 

We are definatly going to look into the electtric fence around thier yard.  Since they are digging out of that yard first and then out of the other than I think that will be the only thing they need. 

Someone also told me to lay chicken wire down in the area they are digging and put some dirt on top of it and when they dig it puts a negative feeling on their nails so thet stop.  Does anyone know about this? 

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:15:46 pm »
ah..here is a topic I am familiar with. Our Pyr loves to dig..he can dig a significant hole in no time. We lay 2x2 cement patio stones down around the inside of the fence and that stopped all the digging to get out. Our issue now is that he chewed his way out through our chain link fencing on his pen. We have an underground electric fence as well and it is awesome. Our pyr got the beep and vibration twice and never is tempted to leave the property anymore. We both work however and therfore don't like leaving him for 9 hours in the yard with the electric fence as his only boundry so hence the pen.
Good luck and try the stones if you can! works great!
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:06:12 pm »
I am wondering though about those patio stones.  Before we made thier yard we had just the big yard all in one and we laid patio stones down and they dug underneath them.  I dont think they are doing it becasue of boredom becasue they have bones, a baby pool, a horse trough, and TONS of treat filled toys that are out there everyday. 

I think it is them trying to get to us. Which makes me feel really bad.   

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:21 pm »
I sympathize.  I've written this before, but Cara was our escape artist.  One to two foot in diameter boulders around the base of the fence worked for digging under.  When she'd start to dig a boulder would fall into the hole, blocking her escape.  She tried it for awhile and finally decided it was too much work.  Also, the electric wire is a good tool.  In our case, she only zapped herself a few times before she to quit trying to escape.  Though they probably are trying to get to you, you are right that it's just too dangerous for them to be out.  It's going to be tough for a little while for you to spend a lot of time with them since your baby is due so soon.  I think that for now your best bet is just to be sure that they are safely inside the yard & spend time with them as you can, and provide them with lots of toys to play with to keep them occupied.  It won't always be so busy, so hang in there.  ;)  :)  I remember the newborn days fondly.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees