Author Topic: Hi from Ohio - Gr8 Pyr  (Read 16776 times)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Hi from Ohio - Gr8 Pyr
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:18 pm »
Hello everyone!

We are owned by two proud Pyr rescues, Katie 6-or so & Franklin 2 1/2-or so.  Katie came to us in 2002 as a companion to our late Pyr Harvey (shown in my avatar).  Frankie was a 2007 adoption for Kate, who had grown depressed & lethargic...sh e has now lost 20 pounds in over a year & they couldn't be happier.  We have two cats (male & female) that were strays about the neighborhood that decided to adopt us too.

We are avid supporters of the Heart of Ohio Great Pyrenees Rescue & new members of the GPCA. 

I'm looking forward to hanging around & checking this site out...it looks pretty active. 8)

Karri
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:07:40 pm by DaPeach »
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:11:20 pm »
Welcome Karri! I am Olesya. I think we've met at the Specialty. I am a member of GPCA as well and just LOVE Great Pyrenees more than myself :D :P I only have one female right now but soon enough will have a playmate for her though  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:23:03 pm »
Pyrs are like chips...noone can have just one!

Frank has really filled out since this pic last year

I like to call this one "synchronized chewing" ;D:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:29:17 pm by DaPeach »
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:13 pm »
Hi Karri! Welcome to you and your lovely "Crew", Frankie & Katie! I'm Jane - Mom to Rainbow & Whisper.

Your pictures are great! Also love the one of the Specialty. I didn't make it this year but several others did. NEXT YEAR FOR SURE! ;)

I'm another GPCA member as well as NorthStar Gr Pyr Rescue. (Did you see Marnie there?)

Again. Welcome!  :D

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:05:46 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I'd love to go out to Santa Barbara next year...unless I hit the lotto, I doubt it's going to happen :( :D.

I met alot of people, but I'm terrible with names...I hope to get to know more people in the future.  I'm just starting to really get involved w/ things.  I did a little design for a t-shirt to benefit the rescue, but I'm not sure if I can advertise it on here. 

I just bought Franklin a harness from Wilczek's & I'm building him a wagon...give him a little something to do & my niece & nephew will love it. 
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

marypyrs

Re: Hi from Ohio - Gr8 Pyr
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:16 pm »
I've been saving up for the "2009". I have a Son in CA so this will be double fun.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:36:27 pm »
I've been saving up for the "2009". I have a Son in CA so this will be double fun.
I wish I could go :'( I am saving up for 2010...it's not that hard since it is only 1.5 hour away from me! LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
Welcome Karri,

I also have a rescue Pyr, Jenny, she is about 3 1/2 and is amazing! I adopted her this past October. I also have Tipper, my buddy, 2 cats, and my twin daughters who will be 5 yrs old next month! I'm sure you'll love it here, BPO is great!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »
Hi Karri!  I'm Marie, mom to 3 active boys (2 legged, no fur  ;)) and three busy pups, Daisy, Sammy & Cassie.  My hubby "bought" Daisy from some kids selling puppies in front of a grocery store as a 8 week old pup.  Though it was more like a rescue since he couldn't resist b/c she looked so sick, and she was poor baby!  Cassie came to us in Feb '06 from an elderly couple that couldn't care for her any longer & Sammy came to us from Pyr Rescue.  My sweet Cara & Halley came to us from GPCA breeders.  Though they are both at the bridge now, they are never forgotten.  Until Cass & Sam we always had one Pyr at a time, but no more.  The potato chip analogy is very true here!   ;)  :D

Santa Barbara, huh?  Well, though it's a long way from here, at least it's on the same coast, so that might be possible for us.  I've always wanted to go to a Nat'l Spec., so I'll see what I can do!!!  I'd be in pyr heaven!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 04:47:17 pm »
Welcome Karri! I am Olesya. I think we've met at the Specialty. I am a member of GPCA as well and just LOVE Great Pyrenees more than myself :D :P I only have one female right now but soon enough will have a playmate for her though  ;D

Excuse me????? Are you keeping a secret from me??????
BTW Hi Karri! welcome to the board. I as well was at the specialty in Ohio. I have 2 pyrs and one on the way....a week and a half to go!

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:29:06 pm »
Welcome, fellow Ohioan.
I am the orginal Lurker - I don't want to disturb the estrogen level  ;D. Not really - I'm on dialup and by the time I get an answer entered and posted the comments are duplicated or more.
We are active in the Humaine Society in the county and have added a tripod Belgian Malinois to the household.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:31 pm »
Hi Karri!  I'm Alex, care taker to the Pyr Princess Naja, and also to my little gremlin Moo (Actually, he's a Cairn Terrier/Toy Poodly/ Evil Gremlin, but I think mostly evil gremlin!  lol  :D)

Welcome to the board!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 07:34:47 am »
Thanks for the welcomes!  I can see this board is going to be trouble for me at work already, lol

Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:55 am »
Welcome! I am a buckeye too! I just found this site myself about a month ago. I adopted my komondor/lab mix from a shelter in Urbana. I haven't found any kom owners here yet. But the Pyr people have been great with advice on food, grooming, etc. Any great advice you have on LGD would be appreciated.

I live in Waynesville about 30 miles north of Cincy. Where are you in Ohio?

My big baby is 6 months old (as of Monday)and weighs in at about 85 or so. She is going to be a big girl!

Again, welcome.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:26 am »
Komondors are beautiful, I can imagine what a great dog she'll be mixed w/ lab.  Stick around here, I'm sure we'd all like to see her grow up!

I'm in the Youngstown/Warren area, northeast.

As far as LGD, do you mean an actual working LGD or just the type of dog & what you can expect as an owner from them?

Thanks for the welcome!
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005

OWN A RESCUED PUP?