Author Topic: Hooded Vulvas  (Read 9369 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Hooded Vulvas
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »
Has anyone ever had a dog with a hooded vulva? Penny has a hooded vulva, which makes her more prone to UTIs. We're going to get her spayed soon, so I am debating whether we should get it fixed while she's getting spayed or if we should jsut leave it alone.
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

Re: Hooded Vulvas
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:30:13 pm »
i have never heard of that.  That is odd.  If it were up to me I would have it taken care of while she's getting fixed.  I hate those UTI's.  When Grace gets a UTI or a girl infection in that area, she'll get 100.  it's one of the most irritating things she gets and i hate to see her like that. 

Not that i'm being weird, but how did you come to find out that her vulva was hooded?  does it look strange?  Does it bother her?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:30:58 pm by Lin »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:35:04 pm »
The vet told me at her puppy checkup that it was hooded. It basically means that she has extra skin on her lady parts so it traps more bacteria (hence makes her more prone to UTIS). To me it just looks like extra big lady parts. It doesn't seem to bother her which is why we mightn leave it alone, but I also worry about utis which is why I would want to fix it
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:36:53 pm »
over the course of the years, UTI's cost a lot.  :)  preventative measures will save you many trips to the vet.  "big lady parts" ... tee hee

Offline BandRsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Its the Dogs Life
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:53:57 pm »
My friend's greyhound had this problem.  She was forever getting UTI's and as time went on they became more frequent and severe.  She had the episioplasty surgery and has been completely symptom free since.  The site looks nasty right when it happens, but didn't seem to bother her too much. 

My friend is extremely pleased with the results and would do it again in a heart beat...

Hope that helps.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:01:18 pm »
A dog I board has one. She has had UTIs her whole life to the point lately where it seems she has them more then not.
The owner is now having the surgery done. She said she figures she has paid 4 folds over the surgery cost for the meds and vet bills over the years.
If it was my dog she's have it fixed while being spayed.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:54:40 am »
So I just found out Penny has her first official UTI  :-\ We're starting antibiotics and we also decided to start giving her cranberries as a supplement for their natural antibacteria properties in her urinary tract from now on.

I was thinking that I would get her vulva fixed when we spay her, but I just found out it will cost an extra $2,500  :o I was prepared for up to a grand but I really can't afford that right now  :-\
RIP former BPO