Author Topic: Baby/Puppy gate recommendations?  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Baby/Puppy gate recommendations?
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:41:36 am »
Okay, Ozzy is WAY to big to be crated at night anymore ... I'm thinking the next move is to contain him in our room at night (just one room!) ... does anyone have any recommendation s for good quality, puppy proof door gates?

Thanks!!!
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Baby/Puppy gate recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:57 am »
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on it...there are tons of good quality stuff on-line ;)
I have been using the cheapest kind from walmart ($18) for almost two years and the gate is still in good shape ;D

Thank you, Lily, for not chewing, biting, jumping on or over, leaning or even looking at it! LMAO!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:31:24 am »
Thanks everyone ... I'm thinking I'll just go cheapo Walmart and see what happens ...

We'll keep Ozzy's crate open and let him go in and out as he pleases ... it's funny, we borrowed a crate from a neighbor and it's designed for large dogs (they had a full grown golden retriever who used it all of his adult life!) but Ozzy seems to like to stretch out as far as he possibly can ...

Minerva's crate is larger than Ozzy's!  Her's is the absolute largest one that PetCo sold ... we call it her Puppy Disney!  She's only 9 pounds, so it's basically an apartment, tee hee

One of our dogs (who's no longer with us, sniff sniff) used to sleep on the floor where his crate was YEARS after we got rid of the crate, it was the cutest thing ... He'd look at us like, "I remember feeling very safe right here once!"

Thanks again ...
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:53:45 am »
The cheap ones work fine and do the trick, but if you are going to use it constantly, I recommend a this plastic perma-mounted one that I have permamounted between my living room and kitchen: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Clear-Swing-Gate/dp/B0000DBHHR/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t
It's more expensive ($50) but it is the easiest to open and close baby gate that I have ever used (I've used a bunch at my house and houses with toddlers that I visit) and it looks better than the wood ones in my oppinion, plus when you permamount it it usually closes itself so you don't have to stress if you forget to close it behind you.

I'm attaching some old pics of Zoey that show the gate.
RIP former BPO