Author Topic: Help Our Military Dogs!!  (Read 4155 times)

Offline FergtheBerg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help Our Military Dogs!!
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:14:10 am »
When forwarding this email, please remember to use Bcc and delete my email address.

I was listening to the radio, as usual, on my way to work the other day (KMPS Seattle) and `Stubbs' (their regular mid-day broadcaster)had a segment interview with Support Military Working dogs. They (KMPS) do a lot of community outreach, and Stubbs, in particular always has her sights and ears up on animal needs in the Seattle Area. This particular interview made me very embarrassed and sad
that we have no desert gear for our Military Working Dogs in Iraq……none, nada, zero help from the military to help solve the serious issues with our K9 troops.

The heat in the desert, along with the blowing sand makes it
difficult for these dogs to do their jobs. They need chilly coats and foot gear and goggles. They also need containers for their food so the rats don't eat the food faster than they can get it served to the dogs. Their leashes are wearing out....... These are the SAME dogs that SERVE AND PROTECT our troops!
The troops, right now, are doing things like duct-taping their own personal socks on the dog's feet so that the melting asphalt doesn't burn their pads. The melted asphalt burns their pads and blocks the ability for the dogs to dissipate the heat through their pads.

To outfit a single dog takes $300. Their goal is to outfit all 45 kennels, approximately 300 dogs, with chilly-vests, Muttluks (boots), and goggles…… *MY* math says this is just short of $100,000. These dogs are not getting the equipment they need from the military……..I'd like every dog club in the country to know of this problem……. I think we need to help where we can. These military dogs are working
in mind-boggling, daunting conditions.

If every person on this list gave $10………. It would be a huge chunk of change for these people to properly outfit these working military dogs. I sure don't think these dogs should be dependant on private donations..... .......I think our MILITARY FUNDING should be helping cover these needs......... but apparently, PRIVATE donations is all
they have to work on for the solution.

I'm going to bring this web site to the attention of every dog group AND CARING PERSON that I can think of……… I think we should be helping where we can. I also plan to let the appropriate political offices know that we are dropping the ball on this……. These dogs need help….. the troops need help to help their dogs…….. our military funding should be doing this job.......

We are DOBERMAN people……. The Cadillac of the Military Working Dog!!! … We need to be involved!!!

Go here: http://www.supportmilitaryworkingdogs.org/index.html

http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.35/t.gif

Download the PDF brochure (lower left of the home page), read it, and contact Starline Nunley, the founder (She is a member of Gem City Dog Club) if you have other questions………. Read the info, and judge for yourselves……. I think I just found a $20.00 bill in my winter coat pocket as I was putting it away for the season…… it is ear-tagged for
this project. I think I'll pass on my latte' next week, too…..

Linda Hale

……..permission granted to CROSSPOST until your brains fall out…… get the word out to every dog club you can find…… these people are working to solve a serious MILITARY WORKING DOG PROBLEM that needs money to solve the issues. It really needs to be sponsored by our war funds, but apparently it isn't 'covered' under the current funding of the war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote from their website:

How did the idea for this project come about?

Starline Nunley, a member of the Gem City Dog Obedience Club, started with the idea of helping her son, Major Parker Frawley, who is a Longbow, Apache helicopter fighter pilot stationed in Iraq. She asked him if he would like a Cooling Vest to help him cope with the typically very hot temperatures encountered there. His reply was "Mom, I am and we (soldiers) are all right. The military provides
for us very well, but dogs have different needs. It is so hot that they are having trouble doing their job and that puts us all in danger."

Temperatures sometimes reach as high as 145 degrees. The dogs cannot work for more than an hour to an hour-and-a-half before being completely exhausted. Our troops are provided with proper equipment but the dogs are our first line of defense in many situations. They've been forgotten and have no protection against the heat, blowing sands and rough terrain.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:12:33 am by EastJenn »

Offline FergtheBerg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Help Our Military Dogs!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:23:32 pm »
Thanks!

marypyrs

Re: Help Our Military Dogs!!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »
Me too. And passed it on to all I know.