Author Topic: Free "Great Pyrenees" pup grows up to be giant mongrel  (Read 29590 times)

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Free "Great Pyrenees" pup grows up to be giant mongrel
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:54:07 am »
Ah, i should have know a free dog was too good to be true. We were out of town and relatives gave us a 5 week old great pyr pup someone had gave them. He was solid white and i didn't think much about it having blue eyes. We needed a herd dog for the animals since the last 2 great pyrs died. As the little dog grew older his hair got shorter instead of longer. His nose grew a bit longer than i thought it should. The body also didn't look right, taller and longer with slits for eyes almost. The last straw was when he grew a very long bushy tail that hung to the ground. Now wait a minute, that ain't right! Told the ol lady go back and check this things pedigree. Turns out he is an Artic Wolf/Great Pyrenees hybrid which her relatives "conviently" forgot to mention. He now is 6 months old and weighs 90 pounds which places him squarely in the giant mongrel category. He has great pyr traits but also predatory wolf traits. I now have a "herd dog" that rounds the animals up and tries to eat them. So far he's only got 2 chickens and a goat and it's a constant fight to keep him from chasing the smaller animals. Any input or suggestions on why some bonehead would try to breed these two completley different types of animals together? Also, how big is thing going to get?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Free "Great Pyrenees" pup grows up to be giant mongrel
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:03 am »
Holy COW!!! I have not heard of this mix before. I can tell you when an Artic Wolf is bred with a malamute or husky, they eat a little more than a normal mal or husky and do tend to be more prey driven.

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:43:31 am »
I get him away from the other animals ASAP & would keep him away from any children.  I'd get him into obedience soon & get an evaluation of his temperament.  Only then can you truly offer him an appropriate job around the farm.

I'm sure he's a beautiful animal, but anything bred w/ wolf deserves the respect & consideration of both breeds involved.
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:20:56 am »
Thanks for the replies. He's not caused many problems yet except for chewing up things and chasing smaller animals. Most of the time he acts like a big ol goofy dog...except for killing and eating smaller animals!!!! :( We have about got him broken from that. He plays real well with the female Pit Bull but then again he's not a grown dog so there may possibly be trouble ahead there. The last male weighed 85 pounds at 7 months so this one is way ahead on growth. I can't imagine what kind of place the idea of  this dog breeding experiment was born in. I have noticed that as he gets older the Great Pyrenees traits like the "big paw swipe" and the herd instinct are going away.  He really is a beautiful dog, solid white and muscular with long legs and giant feet but it's one of those dogs you look at and go "What kind of dog is that?". He looks like a Great Pyrenees but not like he should. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:42:48 am by EastJenn »

jesday

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:23:36 am »
I so hate to be the barer of bad news, but the wolf in him is very tragic indeed. Although he seems like a dog in most respects I can almost guarantee the older he gets the more wolf traits will come out.

We had a husky/wolf mix who was an absolutely wonderful family member even when kids were quite young. About the age of 5 or 6 he really started reverting to the wolf. He'd make dens in the hay bales and just stare out. Although our immediate family were members of his pack, he began the raised hair and snarl whenever anyone else came over, even people who had been over many times. He started chasing anything that moved.

The last straw was when he killed the neighbors Akita. I unfortunately witnessed this event. He shook that 120lb dog like a piece of used carpet. Then came trotting back up to me, "Hi mom, what's for breakfast?"

We had no choice but to put him down. We couldn't take the chance that he would go after one of the kids friends on a bike or even one of us. There were many times just looking at him would make the hair stand up on my arms. "Hey Paco ol' buddy ol' pal. It's me, mom..." Very heartbreaking experience, especially when he jumped into the back seat going to the vet for final time. "Oh boy, we're going for a ride"

I explained the situation to the vet and he said in his 32years as a vet he has never heard of a happy ending for wolf hybreds. Not one. The wolf gene is just too dominant.

I could give you more stories, (similar thing with my sister and her Timber wolf/shepard mix)but I'm sure you get the picture.

I would be so careful with your guy. Perhaps build him a very secure dog run, don't ever let him have the run of the property (doesn't sound natural for a farm dog does it)and by all means keep him leashed when around others.

I hope things work out for you and your guy. As the say, it's not his fault he is what he is.

Good luck.

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:17 am »
I don't know where you're located but the International Wolf Center is in Ely MN. Here's the site.

http://www.wolf.org/wolves/index.asp

There's a wealth of knowledge as well as contacts for info.
I've had two wolf X's in my life. One Mal/Wolf and one Saint/wolf. Both Rescues. Both with me for 14+yrs and they were much loved family members but not without training issues. Lots of obedience classes required. The Mal/wolf was not good with livestock but fantastic with children. The Saint/wolf was fantasitic with all living creatures.

Some knucklehead is always showing up with an add in the paper with "Hybred Wolfs". I do think that in your case you were fortunate to receive him at such a young age. It sounds as though you love this fellow.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:27:37 am by marypyrs »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:30:12 am »
He is a great looking pup! Oh boy, he still has plenty of growing to do :o his paws are HUGE!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:35:31 am »
Romeo...I hope he lives up to his name, he is quite handsome.  I agree with giving him his own run, maybe when he starts aging.  I'd hate to see a tragic ending with him or any other animal/person.  Keep us posted on his behavior, I know I'm quite curious.

Karri
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:45:13 am »
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I couldn't find much info on this type of dog. We don't have many animals, couple horses, few goats, 3 pigs and some chickens. Right now the chickens seem to be the easy targets and he mauled a goat pretty bad but that may just be a pup playing. I figure if he weighs 90 at 6 months he should put on another 40-50 pounds when fully grown. That's going to be around a 150 pounder :o. Right now he just runs in the house and scoops up whatever food is on the table by just sticking his head up there. Maybe i can pass him off as a short-haired great pyrenees. I don't have any neigbors real close and there is the electic invisible fence which keeps the dogs in the yard. I fear sooner or later a conflict with the ol ladys Pit Bull is inevitable though. Hope he turns out better than what some of you guys predict.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:15 pm »
I don't think it is all doom and gloom here.  Even if he turns out to be very people aggressive when he ages, as long as he is good with your immediate family, that is not a big deal.  Just make sure you keep him contained and safe.  ChiChi, our caucasian will not allow anyone in our home, even a child, right now and she is 1.5.  I finally have her to the point that I can walk her, muzzled, without her lunging at anyone.  She is fantastic with us and we love her dearly.  We put her in our bathroom, in our bedroom, with the door locked when anyone comes over.  We have her on hormone replacement therapy, to correct the spay incontinence, and are waiting to see if it helps with the aggression at all.  Yes, she was spayed, so this is all we can do to try and correct her hormone imbalance.  If it turns out that she never accepts anyone else, that is okay and we will just keep her away from them, or muzzled in public, when she has to go out.  I have known people who had wolf crosses and coyote crosses that were fantastic family dogs.  As far as a farm dog, we had neighbors who fenced a literal run, on the boundary of their property, encircling it, so their dogs could patrol the property, without interacting with any livestock.  They took care of all predators and intruders, without any other animals being endangered.  Even wolves have very strong pack instincts and you and your family are pack.  Pits will respect pack hierarchy and if your big boy grows up to be alpha of your 4 legged pack, the pit will respect that, most likely.  I know all of ours did.  I'm not so sure you need a behaviourist, after all, the dog hasn't done anything, other than be a non livestock friendly dog.  Lots of pyrs have had all the livestock ability bred out of them completely.  Even purebred pyrs have to be tested with livestock and many of them don't have the temperament for it.  As long as you and your 2 legged family are clearly in charge and the dog acknowledges that, you should be just fine.  If he turns out to be "not good" with strangers, keep them away from him.  Good luck and he is a beautiful boy.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:00:01 am »
Are you 100% sure he is bred with wolf? Sometimes people talk about things they know nothing about. Is it possible he is mixed with german shephard? Has your vet confirmed his wolf heritage? You may be over-worrying. I have know shephards all my life and some of them can have strong prey drives, but be fine with kids and people. My uncle had a male that weighed well over a hunderd pounds. He was a big baby, but I have seen some pretty large shephards.

I am a huge advocate for obedience training too. I have seen awesome things happen with perserverance and love. I believe any dog can be trained if his human is dedicated and patient. Now maybe he won't be the best livestock dog, but he can become a trustworthy companion and family member. I definately wouldn't give up on him.

Find out for sure if he is a wolf hybrid.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)