Author Topic: properly proportioned nylon harness  (Read 3883 times)

Offline shi_ni_ke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
properly proportioned nylon harness
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:07:17 am »
Nylon Dog Harness for large St. Bernard. Poor Frodobert has outgrown his petco X-Large dog harness. Although I can adjust it just large enough to go around his withers, the pieces that go from the collar strap to the back strap are too short and the back strap rides right behind his front legs and shoulders instead of the middle of his back. Can anyone recommend someplace to get a correctly proportional nylon harness for a 150 pound st. bernard while we raise funds for his mobility/bracing/pulling harness which will be custom made for him according to his measurements but will cost us nearly $700. Insurance only covers a portion of it and we have to pay for it first and then get reimbursed as they don't have a method for servic dog harnesses to be filed directly with them.
Righ now, he needs to be training and working in a harness instead of a collar and I know the one he has now has to hurt to wear but he insists on wearing it if he knows he is going out to work and he absolutely hates to be left behind and hubby really needs him to be doing his job for him. Atleast with a regular harness and back pack set he can do some of the work he needs to do, even if he can't do all his tasks he will eventually do when he gets his "professional" harness.
Thanks,
Nike.

Offline shi_ni_ke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: properly proportioned nylon harness
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:02:06 am »
Checked Planetdog and didn't find one large enough for Frodobert and the Wiggle Wags and Whiskers largest sized harness was just barely large enough and fits in the wrong place for what we need. Did check out ruffwear and found some possibilities, have to call them with his measurements and verify whether they will work or not. In the process I did find another company that has some other options available and also makes their own harnesses in house and can make one for him for a reasonable price, have some combination backpacks and service dog vests and are currently working with a saddle and leatherworking company to develop a combination bracing and guide harness for about 1/2 the cost of the one we were looking at and are willing to adapt it to have pulling straps. Thanks, for the information. I am off to take Frodobert's current measurements. If it works out I will be sure to post their information.
Nike