Author Topic: Collar recommendations for Newf puppies  (Read 3033 times)

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
Collar recommendations for Newf puppies
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:35:42 am »
I think I have gotten just about everything I need for when I bring the puppies home (yeah right!) but I am not sure what collar sizes I should be looking at or the best types.  Can anyone tell me what collar size a normal 12wk old Newf will need?  I am assuming the nylon collars are fine for everyday use but what about for training.  I read that you should not use a chain/slip collar on a Newf.  What about the prong collars?

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Collar recommendations for Newf puppies
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:44:41 am »
I have a big furry girl too!

The chain training collars got stuck in her fur and would not release properly. She now uses a prong collar and it works great. I would hold off on it though, 8 weeks is a little young. I started Tink at 14 weeks with the prong after enrolling in obedience class. As a young pup, try the flat collar first and see how she does. Getting used to a collar at all is an adjustment for any pup. She probaly has never been walked on leash or anything yet. Start with the flat collar and mover her up to the prong when you think she is ready. But there is a right and a wrong way to use it. Educate yourself on them if you haven't used them before. Fit is very important.

Tink went through 3 collars in a month and a half. She grew soo fast. I would start with a 12"-14" adjustable collar,but don't spend a lot of money cause she will out grow it fast.

Good luck
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:34:55 am »
For a puppy you really only need a normal nylon collar, even for training. I would buy a cheap nylon collar since your pup is going to grow out of it shortly. I would suggest buying a small and a medium (they're only a couple bucks each). You will probably use the small for a short time then switch to the medium (and eventually the large and extra large ;) )

You won't need a prong collar until your dog is large enough for pulling to be a problem (I would never use a choke chain at any age).
RIP former BPO

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:39:26 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will definately start them on nylon collars and only switch to a prong if needed when they are older.  I have some experience with a prong collar years ago when I had a Keeshond that wouldn't respond to anything else.  I will try the 12 -14" nylon and go from there.