Author Topic: GREAT PYRANEES BEHAVIOR  (Read 3709 times)

Offline INTHELOCKS

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
GREAT PYRANEES BEHAVIOR
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:16:59 am »
Our Great Pyr puppy (1 yr) is very friendly and social with people and other dogs but insists on "riding" every dog he meets..continu ally and incessantly... even when they are flat on their backs.  He seems obsessed and drives the other dogs crazy!  He doesn't appear to know any other way to play with them. He is not hostile(other than the display of dominance)..and does not seem to mind that other dogs growl and snap at him!  Is this pyr behavior? Something he will outgrow or do we need to do some behavior modification? He was neutered at about 6 months. Other than his siblings whom he played with until 4 months,  he does not get to play very often with other dogs due to time constraints.  Thanks for any help..Intheloc ks

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Re: GREAT PYRANEES BEHAVIOR
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:46:08 pm »
OH joy! You gotta love that behavior when trying to make a good impression! :) My trainer says its a dominance issue. Dogs do it when they are trying to tell others that they are in control. If they are on their backs already and he is still doing it - it really could be a self esteem thing. Maybe your pup isn't too sure of himself and is tryign to assert himself in more of a "scare tactic" to other dogs to show how macho he is. My thought would be to socialize, socialize, socialize! Maybe have some great chicken or yummy turkey and when a dog gets near, pop some treats to keep him focused to you. Over time, he will get used to having dogs near him without being fearful. He'll see their approach as a positive thing. I'm not expert and may be off base since i haven't seen the situation, but we have some dogs in our class that have the same issue. And nope - they aren't pyrs. Good luck! I'm sure you'll work through it!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline INTHELOCKS

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: GREAT PYRANEES BEHAVIOR
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:56:44 am »
Thanks so much..Just wanted to add that when I reprimand him, pull him off the other dog etc he looks sheepish, sneaks over and washes their ears till I'm not looking and then jumps back on!   I will try the treats and am working on more socialization. thanks again,
inthelocks