Author Topic: Aussies... iniside dogs or outside dogs???  (Read 23249 times)

Offline amores perros

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Aussies... iniside dogs or outside dogs???
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:06:24 pm »
hi.. well i'm an owner of an Aussie... he is barely getting train .. but he is a disaster inside the house....i don't want to put him outside but my dad says its better... i just don't like it... do any of ya have an Aussie inside home and how did u do it so it wont be as destructive???or any that have theirs outside???? please i need some info ... i dunno what to do with mine :(

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Aussies... iniside dogs or outside dogs???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:10:28 pm »
Aussies make great inside pets. However, they are high energy and can be destructive until they turn about 2 years old.

Our Aussie ate the windowsill, tore up toys and it seemed like it took forever to get him housebroken, but after all that he turned out to be the BEST dog whether he was inside or out.

He even alerted me one day when the woods behind us were on fire by running outside through the doggie door then running back in and barking at me. After he did this 3 or 4 times, I followed him to figure out why he was so agitated.

If he's causing problems, I suggest you exercise him more. Walk him every day - twice a day if you can, and maybe teach him how to play frisbee or agility or just fetch. Aussie's tend to get obsessed with their games so this is a good way to tire them out before you bring him back in.

Good luck, and please post pictures!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:25:04 pm »
Hi.  I'm glad that you are looking for help with your Aussie, how old is he?  They are extremely intelligent and can learn anything very quickly.  Unfortunately this also goes for bad habits as well as what we intend to teach them.  :) They are one of the few breeds still being used for their original purposes, so expect your pup to have a strong herding instinct as well as some powerful guardian instincts. 

Aussies are extremely velcro dogs, they usually want to be within touching distance of their people.  If you're doing it, they want to be doing it too.  I wouldn't recommend having one as an outside dog unless you want to deal with all the barking, digging, escaping and possibly people getting bit since they can be overly protective of "their" things.

Aussies need a lot of mental stimulation, constant training, socialization and guidance.  Otherwise you'll end up with a dog that destroys your house & yard and is skittish and unpredictable/aggressive around people. They are not a dog to be left to their own devices, inside or outside.  They NEED a job to do.  Daily training is the key.  Nothing In Life Is Free is a great idea until they're about 2ish. http://www.goof.com/~pmurphy/NILIF.html 
Physical exercise is good too, but working out their brain is even better with this breed.  Maybe look into some obedience classes for him, they are usually the stars of the show.  Good luck!

BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:22:42 pm »
Ozzy is our brand new baby Aussie ... he's just about six months old and just now becoming 'poop' housebroken!  He used to 'sneak a poo' in the living room the second our back was turned, but has recently (two days) realized the amazing fuss and treats he's rewarded with for outdoor poo!!!

We need to keep him well 'chewied' with toys or there goes our dining room set!!!  Lots of play at night before bed to wear him down ... he'd be a lap dog if he were small enough, just ask him ...

I love him dearly, but he definitely needs 'jobs' ...

Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline amores perros

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:17 am »

my baby is 4 months old  and i  love him so much... but i just can't... think of the idea of having him outside.... but he behaves really bad inside  the house.. so my parents.. since i still live with them... they don't like  that he is so destructive... so they want him outside and they gave me.. a few weeks to train him :( that;s impossible... that's why i needed tips from those Aussie owners...  thanks for those tips.. i'll try them.. i need to make a schedule for him and the activities we can do together... 
oh and someone asked me to post pics .. so i'll post a new message .. with pics
thanks so much....  please keep in touch those dog lovers :)