Author Topic: Innova Evo for Puppies?  (Read 7745 times)

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
Innova Evo for Puppies?
« on: August 08, 2005, 01:33:19 am »
I read on another forum that Innova Evo was bad for large breed puppies but there wasn't a reason why. From what I know about Innova Evo, I assume it's because there is a lot of protein and no carbs (and puppies probably need the carbs for energy).

Iams came out with a study that I found on the web (I'll put my personal beliefs on Iams aside for now) that stated that the correct percentage should be 26% protein for large breed pups.

I started out with Innova Large Breed Puppy (24%) but the feed store I go to only has tiny little bags of Innova that I would end up spending much much more than I would if they had a large bag b/c the small bags are more expensive.

My other dog is on Innova Evo and it would be nice to have both dogs on the same food. my boyfriend's dog is on Canidae all life stages, which is why I've been able to mix.

Does anyone have an opinions on this? Thanks in advance!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Innova Evo for Puppies?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 05:34:02 am »
I don't know what the rules are for Large Breed puppies.  I know that for Giant Breeds anything above 24% protien is a HUGE no no.  I looked at Evo the other day and it looks like a good food.  It is VERY pricey though, on the other hand you don't use as much. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 09:09:26 am »
I feed both my dogs Innova, and my cat as well. My puppy is on the large breed puppy formula and Harly is on the large breed adult.  The pet store that I by from just got this new Evo formula and I haven't tried it yet, mainly because it didn't say on the bag that it is for large breed, but my cat is on the evo formula and she LOVES it! I was reading on the bag, what the new formula on the bag is, and it is an alternative to feeding Raw diet. More and more people are wanting to feed Raw but they can't because they are too busy, so this is the alternative to it.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 06:41:39 pm »
yeah, I would think that 26% would be too much for an akita too. I think maybe I should continue mixing Canidae with the Solid Gold. After this bag, I think I'm just going to stick to Innova Puppy. My other dog is on innova evo (he is doing great on it) and I've been told that it is great for large breed adult dogs too, except that the protein level is 42% and it doesn't contain carbs. I'm assuming that's why it's not good for large breed pups, but what do I know?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline LoveNewfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 11:13:25 am »
If you contact Innova directly, they will advise you not to feed Evo to large or giant breed puppies  Yes, the protein is too high, according to Innova. 

Evo does have carbs (potato), just no grains and is far lower in carbohydrates than any other commercial dog food.  The intent of Evo appears to be to feed our dogs a diet closer to what nature intended without having to feed raw.  Evo is not a raw food but at least provides a more species appropriate diet in a convenient kibble form.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the protein count but I am very happy to see a food that doesn't contain grains and happy to see a dog food company make the effort to create a more species appropriate diet.  I'm sure other companies will follow their lead.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 11:19:50 am »
My cat loves the EVO food.  And she poops less too. Which I like as I am the one who empties her litter box.  ;)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 11:32:52 am »
I was told not to use it for puppies because of the High Protien.  However since Tenchi is over 2yrs now, I did switch him over on to it 2 weeks ago(the rest of the pack is on Canidae or Diamond).  Let me tell you he is doing GREAT on it! 

It is a bit pricey(45$ for 28.6lbs).  The good news is that Tenchi eats a lot less of it compared to Diamond L&R, Eagle Pack Chicken Holistic, Canidae, and Nutro Large Breed.  With those other brands he was eating 10-12+cups a day and having trouble keeping weight on.  With Evo he's eating 5-7 cups and is filling out.  I bought this 28.6lb bag on August 5th and it still has a good deal left in it.  It has lasted WAY longer than the 33-40lb bags of those other brands, so I think that the higher price is worth it for us.  But if your dogs(or cats) are doing good on what they're eating, then there really should be no reason to switch.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 11:48:31 am »
I was told not to use it for puppies because of the High Protien.  However since Tenchi is over 2yrs now, I did switch him over on to it 2 weeks ago(the rest of the pack is on Canidae or Diamond).  Let me tell you he is doing GREAT on it! 

It is a bit pricey(45$ for 28.6lbs).  The good news is that Tenchi eats a lot less of it compared to Diamond L&R, Eagle Pack Chicken Holistic, Canidae, and Nutro Large Breed.  With those other brands he was eating 10-12+cups a day and having trouble keeping weight on.  With Evo he's eating 5-7 cups and is filling out.  I bought this 28.6lb bag on August 5th and it still has a good deal left in it.  It has lasted WAY longer than the 33-40lb bags of those other brands, so I think that the higher price is worth it for us.  But if your dogs(or cats) are doing good on what they're eating, then there really should be no reason to switch.  :)

My cat as I said is loving it, and she is eating less too, which is good, she needs to lose a few lbs. Dilbert is on Innova large breed puppy, and Harley is on Solid gold, but I will have to swich her to Innova too as one of the very few pet stores in Edmonton that carry, Solid Gold won't carry it anymore, as the distributer went out of business. But I like Innova too and Dilbert is doing well on it, we were feeding him 1/2 and 1/2 Innova and Solid Gold. But I reallly like Innova and will stick to it.

Like torizmojo said, do what works for your animals  ;D
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Jenn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 03:45:07 pm »
Check out the website www.greatdanel ady.com. She's got lots of helpful info on feeding a growing giant/large breed puppy. I think the most important thing is to get a quality food that is around 22- 24% protein and 14- 18% fat. And you must watch the calories!! We feed our 2 year old Bullmastiff & 8 month old Dogue de Bordeaux the same food..Innova Large Breed. The puppy is growing at a slow but acceptable rate which is important fro his joints. We also keep him lean.