Author Topic: lost appetite  (Read 3959 times)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
lost appetite
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:02:36 am »
My big girl was eating like a little piggy and now has seemed to have lost her appetite. She didn't eat yesterday morning and then spent all day at daycare (though she'd be starved when she got home) but wasn't. She finally ate like at 7PM. This morning same thing-not hungary. She did go after her kong with peanutbutter when I put her in her crate. She will be a year old next week. Is this normal for them to go through spells of not being hungary?
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: lost appetite
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:26:29 am »
My Akita does this sometimes,  although it's been awhile.
Only once did I change her food.  I swear she went on strike and lost a few pounds and me being the worry wart I am called her vet and he said as  long as she wasnt vomiting or having diahrrea(SP?) not too worry that she would eat when she wanted.  I ended up changing her diet and she was eating like a champ again.
Have you tried adding any canned food or food topper in just enough(tablespoon or so) to try and entice her too eat?

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: lost appetite
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:08:34 am »
She could also be finishing with a growth spurt.  I don't know alot about how Danes grow, but I do know that although my Pyr Naja is now as tall as she's going to get, she will continue to "beef" up for the next year or two (she's 1).   Meaning muscles will develop and she'll get wider.  Now she'll go through spells where she'll eat everything in sight then stop eating what seems like all together, and during those times people that see her tell me how much she's grown.  ;)  (I guess I don't see it 'cause I'm with her every day.  lol)

I would agree with K.N.G.M.'s vet and say that if she seems normal in every other way (energy levels, drinking her usual amount of water, and no booty blowout or vomiting), she should be fine.  ;) :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!