Author Topic: How much FUR??  (Read 6945 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
How much FUR??
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »
WOW how much fur sheds out of your pyr's? Marley didn't shed this much last year...I can literally pull chunks out of him and I brush him every other day... could something else be wrong?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How much FUR??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:57:15 pm »
I don't think anything is wrong unless you start to see bald patches or feel rough flakey skin under the fur.  I know I have to brush Naja every day, if I don't the fur will just fly off of her when you pet her.  ;)  Do you have big white tumble weeds floating around your house and yard too?  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:37:24 pm »
I smile Carolyn because your handsome Marely is just now coming into Pyrdome.  ;) This is normal and healthy. He will not reach the mature 'Pyr' until he is 3 to 3 1/2. His coat will only become more beautiful ~ and as such ~ throw more in the season.

You would laugh if you could see the bag of treasure I brushed from Whisper last evening. It was stored in a paper bag. (Plastic is not good for the "wool") Silly me. I did not put it up high enough and by morning I found my Baby smuggly laying in the scattered pile of fluff. Rainbow was quite indignant with her little brother's actions. Or at least she pretended to be. Most likely she had a part in it as well. 

Not to worry. This is normal. And what is called 'out of coat' when shed. He's only just two years old now.  :) Just wait till next year.

Strange though it may seem. I love this time of year. Brush daily. Save it. Pass it on to those who spin the Pyr Wool. There's nothing as lovely in the world to me.  :-*

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:55:22 am »
NORMAL! :D
Lily sheds twice a year and it lasts for about 1.5 months each time. In January she looses tons of undercoat and in June...well, she starts with undercoat and when it's all out she sheds her top coat as well  >:( Brushing alone doesn't help with the top coat and I do have to pull tons of hair by hands  :P ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:28 am »
Like everyone else said, it's totally normal for lots of shedding, and brushing often and with the right brush will help. I would also reccomend a skin/coat supplement if you don't already give one - omega 3s supplements help with shedding a little, not to mention making the coat really nice.
RIP former BPO

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:43 am »
I ask the same question, it seems that the shedding will never cease.  I vacuum and swiffer every day. Its amazing the amount of hair she leaves behind, I too thought maybe something was wrong.  It's just a Pyr thing.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 06:36:07 pm »
Thanks everyone! glad to hear...sort of :-\ LOL
I have all the brushes mentioned - rake,pin, slicket, furminator and shedding tool. I use them all regularily. Guess I will have this times two when my Berner grows up!! good thing I love doing it!
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:47:04 am »
It's not just a Pyr thing, but a Newfie thing too. I brush Clifford everyday and take off as much fur as you would think he has. Then he leaves that much again in big clumps all over my light carpeting. When people come over and there are all these black clumps of fur I'm sure they think I never vacuum which I do at least once a day.  I keep wondering how much more fur can come out without him going bald. I have used the double pin rake so much the handle broke and I need to get a new one.