Author Topic: Newfie grooming question  (Read 7687 times)

jesday

Newfie grooming question
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:27:13 pm »
I'm taking the bubs in to be groomed this week and hopefully get the rest of their puppy fur out. Even though I brush them quite a bit the groomer still gets about 10 tons more out.

My question is the proper trim for a Newfie. I'm not showing them so it is not that big a deal, but she always trims their feet up the leg a bit. Sometimes she gets a little carried away and they look like they are wearing knee high socks. ::)

None of the books I have show a clip up the legs. The feathering is trimed to be even, but they have solid legs all the way down.

I want to ask her not to do it this time because I think it looks silly, :P but I also don't want to tell her her business especially since I don't know. I really like the rest of the job she does.

Could it be what they refer to as a puppy cut?

Gentian

Re: Newfie grooming question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:00:49 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to say that your avatar is the cutest thing ever. They look like two sticks of butter on a hot day, just dripping with cuteness.  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:01:22 pm by Gentian »

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:36:51 pm »

- shampoo
- conditioner
- dry towels
- blower-dryer
- grooming table
- cotton-wool for cleaning ears
- nails cutter
- metal comb
- pin-brush, soft
- straight scissors
- thinning scissors (with one blade with cutting teeth) n°46
- dematting comb (we will use it for another purpose)

Before grooming dog MUST be bathed, thoroughly dried and combed.

Bathing:

Show dogs must be bathed a day before every show and in period between shows any 15-20 days black and bronze dogs and any 10-15 days black&white dogs. Frequently bathing take away oil from coat, so cosmetics we use must be of especially good quality. Prepare diluted in water shampoo and conditioner, dry towels. Put dog to the bath and wet him thoroughly with warm (!!!) water. After put diluted shampoo and massage it into the coat. Put it on the muzzle too, between eyes and under the ears. Be vigilant around these part of body! Next rinse all shampoo thoroughly, rinse Twice to be sure!. If coat is very dirty you can repeat operation. After this apply conditioner, wait some minutes and rinse. If you show your dog day after rinse all conditioner, if not you can leave a bit on the coat.
Wait when most part of water goes away and dry dog with towels and put Newf on the grooming table.

Drying:

Use a blower-dryer to dry the coat of your Newfie. It's powerful and blows cold air. Start to blow out all water from the coat, be careful around eyes, nose and ears. Next start to dry (always downwards the coat). At first back (upper part of the neck, back and croup). If your dog has a bit of a waving coat you can brush and dry coat, but be careful and don't scratch the skin. Next lower part of the neck and left flank, after this; belly, right flank, forequarters, backquarters and tail. Coat between toes dry upwards. Lastly dry coat on the head (upwards coat on the cranium). When dog is completely dry you can start to brush and comb.

Brushing and combing:

Start with brushing of all coat and next comb it thoroughly. You don't want ANY matting.  Start combing from down parts of the hindquarters lift the hair upwards with one hand, and comb the hair below your hand down to the skin proceed in direction of the tail. Next the second leg, between legs (carefully!) and tail from tip to tail set. Next back from croup to the neck and flanks from belly to back. Remember to comb accurately under armpit. Later forequarters, neck, under and behind ears and head. Now cut the nails and clean the ears.

Grooming:

Before

After

You can start to groom your dog when is completely dry, next day is perfect for example. If it will be your first time, don't do it before show. Wrong groomed coat need a few time to grow. Rule the n° 1 - better to cut less, than to much! Good quality scissors are very important. Remember to comb accurately coat before grooming
Newfoundland, must have medium length of coat, without over-long and wispy bits of hairs. Groomed dog MUST still have natural appearance, be careful and don't do visible tracks of cuts!

Paws
Start from paws of forequarters. First under the paw, cut hair that grows between the pads.
before

after

Lift the hair between the toes combing upwards and cut using straight scissors doing nice round foot, but don't cut to much. Nails don't be visible. However if you cut here too much - don't worry, hairs grow quickly on the feet. On the rear part of foot hairs must touch the ground and with gentle curve to pass upward.
Before

After

Cut in the same manner hairs on the feet of hindquarters.

Change scissors to thinning and from now use only them and the comb. Cut only in direction of hairs, never upwards - comb the hairs in the part you working and cut, comb and cut. In this way cut coat on the whole body of your dog.

Forequarters
At first slightly equalize feathering. First on the back part of leg, next outside and inside. Inside cut more if dog has narrow chest, but don't exaggerate!

Before After

Before After

Front leg must be ideal prolong of shoulder and upper arm. No over-long hairs - especially on the elbows! Trim all undesirable tips of hair on the shoulders and upper arms, too, to make "clean" lines.

Before After

Hindquarters
Same rule like with forelegs, look from behind and trim hairs downward from croup to feet. Inside cut more if dog moves close behind, less if moves right.
Before After

Looking from the side evidence angulations, cutting excess hairs under knee and hock. Because Newfoundland must have short heels trim hairs starting from the hocks downward in angle of 45°, and lower part vertically to the ground (look picture below).

Before After

Chest
Hairs on the chest grow often to long and need to be quite a lot trimmed. Especially on the throat trim accurately. If hairs below breast-bone are very long it makes illusion of short forelegs, so trim too long hairs making soft curve. Trim excess of coat on the sides downward from ears to the breast, too. Before After

Underline
Start from the back going to front, first left flank, next right flank. Trim hairs on the belly and breast starting from hindquarters until armpit. Don't cut to much making impression of too long legs or too less (short legs).
Before After

Take up foreleg and trim under armpit connecting line of chest with underline. Repeat it with second foreleg. Before After

Now imagine body of your dog in breadth section. Shape of underline must be rounded to flanks, is insufficient to trim only underline.
Before After Not Like This!

Trim more behind armpits, if you will not do it in movement here will be visible over-long hair.

Topline
Sometimes it doesn't need any corrections and sometimes hairs on the neck and croup is very thick so it seems dog has mane and is to high in the croup. Here don't use scissors but demating comb to eliminate excess of undercoat.
Before After

Before After

Tail
Trimming a tail is not always necessary , only if it has form of flag.
Before After

Head
Start from the ears. Trim hairs until they don't project past the edge of ear combing always downward. Tip of the ears must be rounded not pointed.
Before After

Now under the ear. Trim all greasy hair grows under the ear, trim hair grows on the cheek and where ear is settled.
Before After

Often behind of ears grows soft over-long hair that damage shape of head. Trim it downward from earset.
Before After

Now hair on the cranium. Comb it upward and trim to obtain rounded shape.
Before After

Stand the dog on the ground and ask somebody to show it in the movement. You at once will see all parts that may need corrections.

A very special Thank You to Iwonna Salak of Logrus for this information on grooming!

[Disclaimer]
[ Home ] [ Need a Newf Rescued? ] [ Is a Newfy For You? ] [ Adopt a Newfy ] [ Articles of Interest ] [ Newf Mixes ] [ Calendar ] [ Comics ] [ Donations ] [ Auctions ] [ Foster Parents ] [ Placed Newfs ] [ Training Tips ] [ Grooming Tips ] [ Rescue Book ] [ Emergency Guide Tips ] [ Awards ] [ Hot Links ] [ Rescue Poem ] [ Rescue Clubs ] [ About the Logo ] [ Statistics ] [ Other Purebred Rescue Organizations ]
Some Great Links:  [NCA]  [AKC]  and Spoil Yourself at:  [Love Newfs]

here is the link with pic. http://www.newfrescue.com/grooming_tips.htm

jesday

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:08:45 pm »
Thanks, some of the best things about this site are the avatars.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:44:20 pm »
Jaz & Mr Wiggles covered it. Best way to put it is what appeals to you. We like you don't show but try to keep Kali looking proper. We trim the hair between her toes and then coming up the back of the foot to what equates to our wrist or ankle, from that point on it is only thinning shears to even up her feathering. Ears are the important one to me and we do them with thinning shears slightly longer but following the contour of her ear. I personally love leaving the hair on her feet long so when shes swimming it fluffs out but its not a good idea since debris gets stuck in the hair and irritates her paws.

jesday

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:52:52 pm »
Yeah, they're like giant velcro balls when it comes to debris. I also like the feathering out when they are in the water. It make them look even more graceful.