Author Topic: Bernese Mountain Dog - 13 weeks: Question about Coat  (Read 17862 times)

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
Bernese Mountain Dog - 13 weeks: Question about Coat
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:07:07 pm »
Maggie is 13 weeks old, pure BMD and an awesome dog. Recently we have noticed that her coat is changing. Can anyone let me know what to expect? It started with her tail (a ring of hair started forming and it is spreading toward her butt, as well as her undercoat seems to be thickening up. I am brushing her often and bathing her as necessary....c an someone give some timelines and advice on what we should be seeing with the coat change?

Thanks

Bernard
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:08:38 pm by BHNY »

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Bernese Mountain Dog - 13 weeks: Question about Coat
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:16:27 pm »
I have no advice to offer,  Just wanted to say how stinkin cute I think your pups are!!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:17:28 am »
Thanks! You have a great looking group there also. Unfortunately the Bull Mastiff is not mine, just a friend of Maggie who loves to take pictures :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:56 am »

The puppy fuzz starts changing by 4 months of age - on the tail - and usually last until 6 months of age, give or take depending on the lines.

It will, as you have noticed move up the tail and start down the back, gradually moving elsewhere.  The last area of coat to truly mature are the ears - which on many puppies, looks scraggly all through adolescence - even with red fur.

All normal although diet play a role in the actual speed of all of this - just as it does with the amount of dander and fur shed.

Good luck with your new puppy

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:47 am »
Thanks everyone for their response. This is my first Bernese and I can already tell that I am hooked. I am sure I will have  a million questions and appreciate the fact that I know I can come here for help, advice and friendship.

Thanks

Bernard

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:05:36 am »
Bernard I just wanted to take a second to say hello and welcome to BPO! Your pup is adorable!

Like everyone said it's totally normal for puppies to loose their soft fuzzy fur and grow into their thick adult fur. Feel free to ask any other questions. And of course we want more pictures ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:10:54 pm »

Geez...amazing . I have had Maggie for 5 weeks, in that time she has quadrupled her weight and look how big she is.

Crazy

Bernard
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:15:19 pm by BHNY »

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:59:51 pm »
She is adorable!  They do grow fast, don't they?
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:22:50 am »
It is funny how you never notice it until you see the before and after pictures. To me, she is still the tiny little dog I first saw at 8 weeks. Now she looks like a monster sized dog and I have to realize that she is going to gain another 80-100 pounds. Mind numbing.

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:18:11 pm »
She is such a cutie!! If I recall right, Sammy had pretty much his full adult coat by about 6 months. His fur is very fluffy and curly, though, so he still looks kinda like a puppy to me!! With regard to the size she'll grow to be, I've been surprised with Sammy. He was a really big puppy- almost 20 pounds when I got him at eight weeks, but now at one year old, he only weighs 85. Presumably he's going to continue to grow slowly for another year or so, but his weight has been pretty constant for four months or so now. I definitely think he's going to be on the small side for a berner!

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:29:36 pm »
I too have a 14 week old berner pup! we should compare notes!! I am interested in how often you bath yours? Mine still has the full fuzzy fur but she is starting to shed quite a bit!
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline BHNY

• Gnawer
  • Maggie - My BMD
    • View Profile
    • Raising Eli
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:40 am »
Let's see. I have washed Maggie about six times since I got her. A few times for explosions in her crate when I was out, but mostly due to her friend Shockey (the Bull Mastiff) slobbering all over her coat (not to mention the rolling around together in the dirt).

I am finding that a clean Maggie is nearly impossible.

-Bernard

PS Your pups are adorable