Author Topic: My 5 month old English Mastiff  (Read 56392 times)

Offline NicosMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My 5 month old English Mastiff
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:07:11 pm »
I can't seem to find any information for a growth scale.  Nico weights 70lbs. i was wondering if anyone has a mastiff around this age and how much does he/she weigh.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: My 5 month old English Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:18:47 pm »
  I have an OE/Bullmstiff mix who weighs about 60 lbs now.  He weighed in at 55 lbs 2 weeks ago and he turned 5 mos on the 14th. 
Your pup sounds like a big one!  I bet he is a cutie though.
If you get a chance post some pic's so we can see him/her.

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

AudgePadge

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »
Hm...Roscoe just turned 7 months...he's about 80 something...an d he's really skinny...

But I think you need to post some pics before we can help!  ;)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:57:31 pm »
My Gage is 10 months and 115lbs, but I have him really slim as well, so to not put extra weight on his hips.

This pic you can see that he is slim:

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:02:32 am »
I have an 18 month old Mastiff (who just brought me his favorite toy becasue I am not playing with him before I go to the office ;D).  Here is his weight progression 5 months through 9 months.  He now is a little over 200 but is thin (I know that sounds funny).  He could be 230 but I tr to keep him as lean as possible to mimize unnessary wear and tear.  AS long as you pup is active and happy I would not get too concerned about weight.  With a Mastiff it is a journey not a weekend trip and it can take up to 24+ months for full maturation.

5 Months   
28-May   76.7
19-Jun   92
6 Months   
24-Jun   96.5
28-Jun   98.5
3-Jul   106
14-Jul   106.5
7 Months   
26-Jul   116
5-Aug   119.6
12-Aug   122.2
8 Months   
24-Aug   130.6
9-Sep   133.3
9 Months   
24-Sep   142.2
14-Oct   155
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:19:53 am »
Our titan is 13 months now, and he weighs 185.  (he did loose some weight, and is not eating like he should be)  I know he has more growing to do....since he is just a baby still,...and i know they grow for 3 years...i just wish he was a little taller (for my own selfish conformation reasons)

Offline NicosMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:54:52 am »
Thanks so much for the info.  I just want him to be healthy. Not too big not too small!!  I think I got a picture added, but this is not the most user friendly site, or maybe it is the user..lol

Offline NicosMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:57:27 am »
I got the picture in ;D

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:25:35 pm »
Nico is adorable!!  Once you get the hang  of posting pic's it's easy.  So with that said go ahead and practice posting pic's of the cutie all day long,  we wont mind ;)
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Texastea08

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 07:11:07 pm »
Hi, My male English Mastiff is about 5 1/2 months old. He weighs about 85 +/- lbs. He weighed 78 1/2 lbs when he 5 months old. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture of him but and having no luck. If I figure it out, I will go back in and post one.

From talking to my vet and other people who have Mastiffs, it is important you don't try to grow them too quickly or they risk developing joint problems. I am feeding my dog Eukanuba Puppy Formula for large Breeds. I fill his bowl twice a day. In addition, I slip him a milk bone here. My vet did tell me it is not unusual for these dogs to be gaining 1/2 lb a day during this stage of growth. If he is skinny and leggy looking, a bit clumbsy, and sometimes stiff when he wakes up.... I think all of this is normal growth. Mastiffs will grow for two years. They get tall and lanky first, then they start to fill out....

Hope this helps.

(this link takes to you to some pics of Texas, my mastiff.... by the way, I am also a NY Giants fan) ;)

http://boards.giants.com/forums/2/881237/ShowThread.aspx

Offline Texastea08

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 08:25:33 pm »
Here is Texas.... 5 1/2 months... 85 lbs

Offline brandbeck

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 03:06:58 am »
this is a growth chart for a male and a female. now remember hight is more important than weight as a puppy. they dont fill out till there 2 years old i've found this chart is pretty accurate   

http://www.mydog8it.com/mastiff_great_dane_puppy_growth_chart.htm

Offline mtays

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:19:03 pm »
Wow... According to your growth chart my 7 month old mastiff is as heavy as yours was at 9 months... Kind of scary considering I just had him at the vet for his last series of shots and the vet said that he looked perfect [meaning you could just feel the ribs and the spine]... I believe since this is one of the breeds that does not have a technical standard for weight and height in the AKC or the CKC [I'm Canadian, and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there is no defined standard for either measure] it's pretty tough to say what exactly is a "correct" weight for a certain age... As long as the ribs and spine aren't sticking out, but you can still feel them your dog is generally doing alright.
Murphy ~ Black Lab
Morgan ~ Bernese Mountain Dog
Marley ~ English Mastiff

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:18:16 am »
Thanks so much for the info.  I just want him to be healthy. Not too big not too small!!  I think I got a picture added, but this is not the most user friendly site, or maybe it is the user..lol

Good Morning and welcome..your Mastiff man is handsome.

I remember the *new* days of BPO. Hang in there, BPO actually extremely user friendly. If you make a mistake in your post-click on "modify" and edit..you can add a PS of "modified to include" so people will know it's been edited. or you can not add the PS...and keep them guessing  ;)