Author Topic: black russian terriers  (Read 44171 times)

Offline jillya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
black russian terriers
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:57:13 am »
Is anyone familiar with this breed?  We just had to put down our 9 year old Rottie we loved and are looking for something similar that won't remind us of her.  Looking for fun, smart, protective but not too high energy.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: black russian terriers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:14:29 pm »
I can't say I'm familiar with them, but they remind me of giant schnauzers. I belive the temperment and intelligence is about the same as well.

they are a handsome breed.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:00:38 pm »
I don't know anything about black russian terriers, but fun, smart, protective, not too high energy, brings to mind Tibetan Mastiff.  Just my opinion.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:33:08 am »
If you like the Black russian terrier...Anot her dog that may interest you is a bouvier des flandres. (pronounced boo-vee-ay) Check them out at
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bouvierdesflandres.htm
A friend of mine has one. He does Therapy dog work and is just a huge teddy bear. He gets TONS of attention. He stands a few inches taller than my golden retriever and is just beautiful and very loving. She got him through a rescue. He is her second of that breed. I've attached some pics of him. After just a casual search for rescues and look who I found... check out Pheobe at http://www.bouvier.org/ABRL/abrlavail.asp
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:44:57 am by kealoha812 »
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline cleo122506

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:54:11 am »
Hi All,
New to this site.  I am a proud owner of a BRT.  You can find a lot of information about them on the American Kennel Club website as well as the site for the Black Russian Terrier Club of America. 

The big difference, from what I know (and I did TONS of research before getting our dog), between a Bouvier and a BRT is their "job."  That is, BRTs are meant to be guard dogs and remain with their pack.  The Bouvier (again, from what I have read) are herding dogs.  Therefore, they tend to herd their pack, they tend to be much more high energy than BRTs.  Our girl is a couch potato and, many times, has to be taken on what we call a 'forced march.'  She wants to be where we are, and if that's in the living room watching TV, then so be it! 

We have trained her a lot.  She has taken two obedience classes and has passed her Canine Good Citizen certificate.  Next up is the Therapy Dog International test.  Because they are a working dog, they need a job.  And, often, it's protecting you, their pack leader, or others. 

It's really important to make sure that you know the purpose of your dog's breed.  Though BRTs and Bouviers look a lot alike, their jobs in terms of their breed make up is quite different. 

I consulted the American Kennel Club via telephone and they put me in touch with different breeders around the country.  It's been a wonderful experience to know people in the BRT community!
Kathleen
Milwaukee, WI

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:49:35 pm »
Hi Kathleen and welcome to the board.  Your girl in your avatar is a cutie!  I just saw my first 2 BRTs at the Houston Dog Show this past weekend.  I didn't get a chance to go talk to the people showing them but they were gorgeous dogs.  I think I might have to start researching this breed.  I just added another breed to my someday being owned by one list. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:05:07 pm »
Welcome to the most addictive board on the web..

I don't know much about the BRT but I do agree they look very similar to Bouvier des Flanders..

we recently lost our Magic and for the past 8 years he was a wonderful therapy dog..and is now very missed by all..

I think for both Bouv' and BRT's the need for positive obedience is a must..

Magic was never *high energy*even though he is in the herding group..some herding dogs are very high energy..but alot of that comes down to personality as well..

I do think that BRT are larger than Bouviers..

either one are great..althoug h Bouv's come in different colors and BRT are only black..

Again welcome aboard..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline cleo122506

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:41:46 pm »
Hi Everyone!
Thanks for the welcome.  Since you've seen the BRTs in shows, you'll notice that we don't keep Cleo *looking* like a BRT.  However, I have decided that we will start to trim her head to look more like a BRT.  She is a really cute dog. 

You're definitely correct about BRTs and Bouviers being so similar.  I didn't realize that BRTs are bigger than Bouviers.  I have never seem them together.

Thanks again for the welcome!  I'm LOVING these message boards!
Kathleen
Milwaukee, WI

Offline druzina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
HELLO!
Iam breeder and showing of the breed Black russian terrier ,i located in Argentina ,Buenos Aires ,and i know  to the BRT.i cohabit with 8 BRT!!
THIS DOG ARE BIG 75CM.,AND STRONG Distrustful with stranger but adorable ,loyal ,VERY friend with owners  AND  intelligent dogs.