Author Topic: Boating with the boys!  (Read 4761 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Boating with the boys!
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:51 pm »
I sooooo wish I had a camera this weekend, because the boys looked DASHING in their life jackets on the boat this weekend!!!  I'm going to have to at least take a couple of pics from my computer sportin' them. 

Anyway, I know there was a thread recently about boating with Newfs.  Ummm....so we've always been a little (ok, alot) iffy about whether Winston's pure newf, and this weekend didn't help him out any.  Not only did he not save me as I dramatically staged my own drowning, but he swam PAST me during this drama to chase down some little ducks!!! 

Champ was actually the "Champ" of the day- He LOVED jumping off the boat to chase tennis balls!  He even got a little audience going as boats would stop to watch his deck diving skills! :)

By the way, the life jackets were not only adorable, but they were an absolute MUST- they had handles on the back, so we could lift them easily out of the water and back on the boat. 

All in all, it was a GREAT day....until Winston peed in the car on the way home. LOL!

lins_saving_grace

Re: Boating with the boys!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
that would be hard to take pics on a rocking boat.  :)  that would have been fun to see though.  glad everyone had fun ... minus the pee part

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:25:00 am »
ohh.. .life jackets! I need those. Where did you get yours? My dogs swim out to the paddleboat with us and I can never lift them in!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:57:06 am »
Sounds like a fun day boating. Don't base Winston's Newfie-ness on his rescue ability. Clifford is all Newf and I posted last week that I also pretended to drown and Clifford just swam past me not caring one bit. Maybe, we can hope, they are smart enough to know when to be really concerned.
I did trip and fall last night and Clifford ran right over to lick my face. I don't know if he was concerned or just taking advantage of me being on the floor.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:35:03 pm »
We love Winston, no matter what, but we do always tease him that he's a wannabe or a Newfie "lemon" because he's pretty tiny (about 100lbs)!  Awww!!  But, now that I think about it, he FREAKED out at Champ's first birthday, which was at an indoor swimming pool for pups.  He was afraid of the water at that time, so he kept running back and forth at the edge of the pool, doing that high-pitch whining thing!  So....maybe he did get that gene!! :)

Kealoha812- I just bought the XL life jackets from Petsmart.  I think they were about $30.00.  We must have lifted Champ out of the water AT LEAST 30 times, and the handle is still in great shape. 

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »
 Champ's first birthday, which was at an indoor swimming pool for pups. ???????????????????
Where is there an indoor pool for pups? We want to go!!!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:51:33 pm »
The indoor swimming was GREAT!!!  I lived in Denver, and there were a couple of places that did this!!!  These are now over a  year old, but take a look at Champ and his little friends at his b-day festivities!! :)

Here, Winston was about 6 months old, but we had only had him for about 2 weeks.  The indoor swimming was held at a rehabilitation facility, where one of the therapists got in the pool to help him learn to swim!