Author Topic: I cant take it! I need a newf!  (Read 7576 times)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
I cant take it! I need a newf!
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:52:35 am »
So, after the long drama of waiting and praying and wondering about getting a 3rd dog... my friend moved in with me for a month in between homes. With her came her 3 month old boxer and 3 year old newf. I am in love. They moved out 2 weeks ago and I miss his big hairy drooling self. So, Ive decided I have to have one. Ive wanted one forever, but was worried about bringing in a 3rd dog with my 10 year old and 1 year old. Figured the 10 year old couldn't handle it. Well, after now having 4 dogs living here - it wasn't bad at all. My 1 year old played with the others and the 10 year old got come peace! So, I'm now on the search for a breeder. There are SO many out there. What should I look for? Any suggestions of great breeders? Ive always done rescue, so never had to go the breeder route, but I really want a puppy so I am gonna try a breeder this time. Help!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

lookingfornewf

Re: I cant take it! I need a newf!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:11:17 am »
Are you sure you want a puppy? A puppy Newfoundland is a lot different than a 3 year old Newfoundland.
I prefer to get puppies over grown dogs. I want to do the training from puppy on. I do love Clifford more than any other dog I have had. He is only 11mos old and is a bundle of energy, plowing over and into everything. My 8 year old Jack Russel does not like him. We've had him since October and she still does not want to be friends or share any toys. She doesn't like him running and pouncing at her, and gets very jealous. When I got him I had hoped they would be friends. Clifford loves her and doesn't notice the teeth bared and growls.
I don't know if your 10 year old dog would be happy with a puppy Newfoundland. Depending on your other dogs an older one might be better.
Good Luck with your new dog. I wanted a Newfoundland for many years before I got mine and there are days I still can't believe I finally did it.

jesday

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:45:53 am »
Oh boy, you are going to love your Newf!!! :D I'm sure you will get all kinds of information from other more knowledgeable people than I, but here are some of the basics.

Genetic Hip and joint problems are major concerns for this breed as well as genetic heart disease. The breeder should show that the parents have been either PennHIP or OFA'd. Here is a site that explains the two:
http://www.workingdogs.com/ofa_penn.htm. Also a guarantee against genetic heart disease.

Of course the pup must be up to date on shots and worming.

A detailed application should be given to you asking about the household, fencing, why you want a Newf, experience with large breeds, etc. If the breeder is close there should be no hesitation on letting you have an on site visit. Full disclosure on Sire and Dam should be given, Pedigrees, registrations, the ability to register your pup.

You should have to disclose your purpose for the dog; pet or show. With exact criteria for both. Pets should require a signed statement that you will spay or nueter and if they haven't done so already, micro-chip.

The breeder should be available to answer any and all questions that may arise after receiving your puppy.

And to me, this is the most important:You should have to sign an agreement that if for any reason, no matter how long you have the dog, one month or 5 years, you must give the dog back to the breeder for rehoming.

Hope this helps a little. I'm afraid your biggest problem will be picking your pup once you've started looking. How can you choose? You're going to fall in love with every single one. 

Good luck future Newf owner. ;)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:37 am »
To pup or not to pup? That is the question. Yea, I thought that one over for quite a while. Here is the thing.. both of my dogs do therapy work and I want my newf to be trained as a therapy dog as well. That being said, I would like to get a puppy so I can train it from day one. Socialization is key with therapy dogs and with a rescue you never know what background the dog has. (Although you can usually guess since they are grown and their temperment is set...)  but that being said - the biggest reason for a pup is that my 1 year old newf mix is not very accepting of other grown dogs in the house. We have fostered numerous dogs and he just isn't happy and refuses to bond with them. On occasion he will block their food bowl and growl. Even my friends newf that lived with us. He was very mellow and never challenged my dog for dominance, but my dog wouldnt play with him. He loved the pup boxer though! They were the best of friends. Poor Mr. newf would bark and whine to play and my guy would look at him and then run off with the pup. He is very accepting of puppies. I am hoping that bringing a puppy home will allow him to bond with it and they can grow up together. Of course I know that means lots of accidents and chewed up shoes, but hey - its all part of the fun! I have 2 kids too and they really want to watch it grow as well... so, I figured a pup it is! by the way, I attached a pic of the 4 beasts waiting to get in the house...this is my 2 and my friends 2 that lived with us.
Meli - Golden retriever
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8

jesday

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:28:10 am »
Who says dog can't smile? :D

They look like a happy bunch.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:00:24 pm »
Good luck with your search for a Newf! They are the best..even with the drool and hair.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:32:12 pm »
Good luck. Just don't go to look until you are ready to take one home. Once you see a Newf puppy you can't resist. My breeder could have said anything and I'm sure I would have taken Clifford home anyway. Fortunately there were only 2 and the other one was already taken or I might have ended up with him too. They are such cute fluffy loveable puppies.  ;D

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with a breeder today... :) I had a ton of questions and he did for me as well. Actually made me feel better that he turns down quite a few people. He's very particular who he let's buy his babies. He's gonna call some references, but so far - so good! Pups are due any day! Yea!!!
Meli - Golden retriever
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:42:06 am »
We have had both puppies and full adult rescues and if you take the time it takes with retraining, the newf seems very adaptable to retraining as an adult. Our most recent newf was totally out of control when she arrived  ::)She was also barking at everyone and anything and chasing our chickens  ;)
She has been to six dogtrianing sessions with us and our dog trainer. he pushed her to check for aggression and gave us some tips on how to handle the stranger issue with her. She is now very social and friendly, just like a newf, and now also a useless guard dog. She does not jump up anymore. Walks like an angel at heel, sits, drops and sort of stays  ;)Even walks beside you with her lead in her mouth at heel ;D You have to be committed with both a rescue/grown dog and puppy as you probably know. Getting a pup does not guarantee a perfect dog either. Owners and training is what makes a good dog. And hearing what you do with your dogs, you obviously have well behaved dogs.
But once you have had a rescue dog who has led a sad/bad life and you get their trust you will get a commitment from that dog which is amazing. Our dogs that we have had from pups expect to be fed and loved, our rescues always seem grateful to be fed and loved. It is just something i have noticed. Whatever you do just love the dog and you will be loved in return :)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos