Author Topic: Do Newf Puppies lose their white fur?  (Read 16400 times)

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
Do Newf Puppies lose their white fur?
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:20:22 pm »
Well we got our 2 puppies last weekend and boy have they kept us busy.  I am not sure we got the two pups we picked from the litter though.  On the puppies we picked out at 9 weeks of age the male (Koda) had some white on his back right paw but the male we picked up at 12 weeks old had no white on his paw like the male we did not pick.  The female (Kira) also had considerably less white on her back paws from the time we picked them out to the time we got them.  Is it common for them to lose the white or did we likely not get the ones we had picked out?  The answer wont affect how much we love the ones we got but would help me decide if I would recommend this breeder to someone else.  I'm a little dissapointed in the breeder already because the puppies had adult ringworm infection so we had to get them treated for that the day after we got them  :( 

jesday

Re: Do Newf Puppies lose their white fur?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:31:31 pm »
Your avatar is a pic of the male when you first posted, correct? And I believe you also got a pic of the little lady before you picked them up?

I've not heard of puppies loosing their white fur unless very minimal. The amount of white on his back paw in the avatar is significant enough that it should still be there. Also check the configuration of the white on his chest. (I'm looking at the avatar) There is a definite pattern. One side travels down to a long point. Is this the same now?

I don't want to breeder bash, but could be someone else wanted the cutie with the white foot or none at all.  Could be breeder just forgot and knew you wanted a male and female. Still not good business practice.

A friend of mine bred and sold 8 springer pups. As soon as deposit was put down, she tied a different colored yarn bow around the pup's neck and made a notation on the paperwork of what color collar went with which new parent.

As you mentioned, I'm sure you're in love already. It's a newf pup, how could you not. But it must be a bit disappointing if you did not get the pups you picked out and I'm sure paid a handsome amount of money for. :-[

jesday

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:32:26 pm »
I forgot. More pictures please. ;D

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »
At 11 months old Clifford's white on his chest is a little less noticable. The white on the one rear foot looks just the same, so no I do not think they lose their white fur.
I'm sure you will keep your puppies anyway, but my guess is you did not get the ones you picked out.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:49 pm »
Sorry that your start with the puppies is so rough, that stinks! Bear came to me at 12 weeks with a big white heart on his chest which slowly disappeared beginning about 4 months. He was all black with no traces of white a couple of months later and if you want to see any white now you have to peel back all of his fur in the chest area. My breeder told us that all white patches shrink as the dogs grow which is why we can't see his any more and if it had started out bigger it would still be around.  ???

I've attached two pics for you to see- the first is at 12 weeks and the second is about 6 months where the white is completely gone.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:02:27 am »
The puppy in the Avatar is actually the female.  The female we got still has some of the white on the back right paw but not nearly as noticable as in the picture.  The white on the chest is also not as prominant but the pattern looks sort of the same.  Her personality seems a lot like that of the puppy we had picked so she may be the one.  Here is the picture of the male puppy at 9 weeks.  He has white on his back right paw but it isnt a large amount.  The puppy we got has no white on that paw at all.  Not sure how the chest matches up on the males.  I will try and get their current pictures posted this weekend so you can see the differences. 

jesday

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:08:40 am »
Oh my gosh, every time I see those pups I get so distracted. I just want to reach in and hug and kiss em' :-*

Okay, where were we? Syrus had just about the same amount of white on his chest when we got him at 4 months. I thought it had disappeared but upon doing a thorough brushing I found some still there, just covered up. Can you see any white in-between his toes on his back foot? Just for your own curiosity.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:36:24 am »
Allie kept all her white markings , but a friend of mine has a landseer who had a blaze down his face and over a few months his head turned entirely black ! Looked like a completely different dog !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
I don't know enough to say you got bamboozled by the breeder and I hate bash a breeder that may be legitimate.  At the same time I hate the thought of you not getting the puppied you picked.  I know you have probably already fallen head over heels madly in love with these babies,  but it disturbs me that you may not have gotten the pups you  chose.  After all, there are reasons you chose those specific pups.

Sierra had a white patch on her chest when she was a wee babe (if you can call a ball of fluff weighing 20 lbs a wee babe!).  The breeder mentioned it would probably disappear and it has shrank to a salt and pepper (mostly pepper) look at that spot.  But it took a while for it to happen.  I'd call and ask the breeder about it.  I think it depends on the dog as to how fast white fur would disappear.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:59 pm »
Kali lost the white at the tip of her tail and most of the white on her toes....you can see one hair in her tail is white and somewhat see a little on her back paws but it's definitely less obvious. And what a cute puppy I must add!!! More pics please!!!!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 08:33:20 am »
My dog Abbey had a lot more white as a little pup, then she did at 12 weeks. I know for sure it was her, because she was the only pup with any white in the litter.And there was only one litter :) It shrank, but not completely. Our breeder use nail polish to identify pups. I think if a breeder has more litters it becomes difficult. except to recognize the bitch. It would be a shame if you did not get the correct pups, but it could be the white reduced in amount. Anyway if you love them, just let it be. And enjoy them. You must have a relationship with them already. They look adorable. I am getting puppy clucky. ::)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 12:09:46 pm »
Rosie supposedly had a small white spot on her chest, but by the time we got her (2 years), she'd lost all her white coloring. It seems like eventually all that black fur overcomes the white and they turn to completely black with age.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
Here are a couple of picks of the kids...a solo of Koda and a couple of both Koda and Kyra.  I'm no longer concerned if we got the right pups as I am totaly happy with the two we did get.  I am 90% sure Kyra is the girl we picked out and 90% sure Koda is not the male we picked out but he is such a great guy.  He is very good and laid back and doesn't nip at all like his sister who is a wild child.  She is always wet from the water dish or a little pool we got them to play in while he seems to like to stay dry and clean.  Now that they seem adapted to their new home I think I will introduce them to the lake and see how the take to it.  I have a feeling Kyra will jump right in and it will take some coaxing to get Koda in.

Koda

Koda and Kyra

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 07:57:27 pm »
JaBear....how much did Bear weigh at 12 weeks old?  Mine are about 30lbs but Bear looks much more filled out then Koda and Kyra.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 09:05:53 pm »
JaBear....how much did Bear weigh at 12 weeks old?  Mine are about 30lbs but Bear looks much more filled out then Koda and Kyra.

He was a big boy but was just longer and fluffier than most I think because he only weighed 32 lbs. at 12 weeks. Now though, he is still long and big boned and weighs 165 lbs. at 5 3/4 years old.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.