Author Topic: Would you pay $135,000 for a dog? or $130,000 for a cat??  (Read 7047 times)

AudgePadge

Would you pay $135,000 for a dog? or $130,000 for a cat??
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:59:12 pm »
So...I was doing some research on "hypo-allergenic cats" since...not long ago, I had the opportunity to foster a little siberian kitty...and she went to a good home...

Anyway, I Googled it... and I found this site...

www.lifestylep ets.com

http://shop.lifestylepets.com/

Anyone heard of it??? Genetically altering a pet to make it accommodate your lifestyle...

THis is just nuts...

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Would you pay $135,000 for a dog? or $130,000 for a cat??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:54 pm »
Ugh.  >:(  That is really disturbing.  :-[
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:27:06 pm »
I saw it a while ago on another forum.

It is very disgusting. And so sad that people think they should pay that.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:16:53 am »
I dint read anything about it being genetically altered, it says it is a cross between African Serval, Asian Leopard Cat and a DSH.  IMO it is nothing more than a high end designer pet breeders, they have some mutt dogs as well, and some Schutzhund trained German Shepherds, you know what they say about a fool and their money right?

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:56:25 am »
Ahh I see how I missed it now, I was reading about their "Ashera" not the "Allerca". 

They won a "best inventions" from Time in 2006 this is the quote from the artical:
MEDICINE INVENTIONS
Meow, no achoo
Love cats but your nose doesn't? A San Diego company is breeding felines that are naturally hypoallergenic . Most cats produce a protein in their saliva that can trigger an allergic reaction in humans; some breeds, like the Siamese, produce less of it than others. But in Allerca's mixed-breed (not genetically engineered) cats, the protein is virtually undetectable. Allerca tests each cat and offers a one-year money-back guarantee. Demand is high: there's already a 15-month wait for the sniffle-proof kitties.
Inventor: Allerca
Availability: 2007; $3,950
To learn more visit allerca.com
http://www.time.com/time/2006/techguide/bestinventions/inventions/medicine3.html

Prices have went up about 2 grand in 2 years WOW :o

I think this is their original website for just the Allerca cat MEDICINE INVENTIONS
Meow, no achoo
Love cats but your nose doesn't? A San Diego company is breeding felines that are naturally hypoallergenic . Most cats produce a protein in their saliva that can trigger an allergic reaction in humans; some breeds, like the Siamese, produce less of it than others. But in Allerca's mixed-breed (not genetically engineered) cats, the protein is virtually undetectable. Allerca tests each cat and offers a one-year money-back guarantee. Demand is high: there's already a 15-month wait for the sniffle-proof kitties.
Inventor: Allerca
Availability: 2007; $3,950 http://www.allerca.com/ .

I found what Wiki had to (I know not a very reliable source, but interesting none the less) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allerca

I find this quote by the "creator" pretty disturbing:
"
Brodie counters that Allerca is revolutionizin g the "cottage industry" of cat breeding. "We provide the customer with much higher level of service, and we have the resources to ensure that any animal that we produce is consistent. That's the big difference."
http://newsday.typepad.com/news_local_flaim/2006/11/allercas_kitty_.html

After reading a few of the different write ups, from both angles I am not sure if they are doing genetic altering, only because the Siberian Cat is supposed to be much the same thing, but the things the brodie guy says makes me believe that they do an awful lot of culling, IMO.  The part where he says they can genetically control the markings and size is very questionable.  I dont know how much of what they say is true, personally I dont think they have put as much science into their cats or their dogs, I think they are breeding mutts to sell at super high prices to suckers.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:06:47 am »
If you look at the pictures under more images on the sales page the one running through the  sonw is nothing more than a labradoodle IMO.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:09:57 am »
Found this quite funny, really makes me believe his claims now:
   'Designer pet' founder guilty in British scheme
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20061028-9999-1b28brodie.html

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:56 am »
I don't see how ANYBODY would pay that much for a pet!
This is just ridiculous >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline serval05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:39:52 pm »
The Ashera is a scam cat.  They are really Savannahs.  Real Savannahs cost from around $3000 for higher percentage ones to $300 for later generations.