Author Topic: OT for big dogs...but training question  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
OT for big dogs...but training question
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:57:32 am »
I have a little poodle (well...suppose to be) who is petrified of men (?)  He supposedly bit the UPS man, and that was the last straw...perhap s he was growling at the rest of them.  We had a man at my work who took him for walks and the dog was nervous...but never tryed to bite at all.  He does have seperation anxiety as well.  NOW...my question is....I know that desensitizing the dog is the best thing to do, slowing introducing at his comfort levels.  BUT i have the dog to work with for a week.  (just came in yesterday)  but i know there is other things that i can do to help him, such as train for confidence, which we are doing.  How can i help this dog more?  I know we are desensitizing the dog, while we have him, although there is a lot more work that just 5 days.  Is there anything else? any ideas? (they got the pup at a store that claims to breed 10 different akc dogs, and broker for 30 other breeds...puppy mill?)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: OT for big dogs...but training question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:44:13 pm »

Counter conditioning with very very high reward food - freeze dried liver works best, but any real pure meat is also effective.

Find the threshold for the dog at which she/he is still comfortable, and not yet stressed.  For some it could be 60 feet while others just 3 ft.  Be sure to know the stress signs - fixated pupils, whale eye, closed mouth etc.

At the closest calm distance, with the scary item (man) present, dole out the treats as fast as you can - no pausing to make as positive association as possible.  Do this consistently when men appear, and the dog will ultimately associate good things happening with men.

It is also a good idea to have men, at the safe threshold distance, to throw the treats to the dog so that the treats are coming from the scary thing. The man should never make eye contact, stand to the side and always keeping the side of his body turned toward the dog, and toss the treats on the ground in front of the dog.  With a lot of patience, the men can eventually move a little closer, closer and closer until ideally the dog is taking the treats from the mens' hand.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar