Author Topic: To wag or not to wag?  (Read 17381 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
To wag or not to wag?
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:04 am »
I would like to hear what you all think about the dog who is not greeting its owner  :-\
Before I bought a puppy I was reading all kinds of books regarding training etc. and it says that we should not make a big deal out of leaving or coming home so the dog doesn't develop a separation anxiety.
I never looked back when I was leaving and I would not even pat Lily until she is nice a relaxed upon my return. After about a year Lily wouldn't even get up when I was leaving or coming home. A couple of months ago she stopped coming downstairs when I get home from work. She would come down about an hour or so after me being home.

I remember a while ago somebody here mentioned that tail wagging means insecurity  :-\ Is it?
Those of you who have dominant dogs...do they greet or not?
I can't say I don't like it...I just haven't heard of a dog who doesn't meet the owner by the door  ::) :P

P.S. She does greet us like crazy if we are out late night. It's just after work thing...maybe she feels how tired I am and gives me some space? LOL

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:52:33 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: To wag or not to wag?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:54:32 am »
LOL I have Shibas, they dont greet at the door, it is beneath them  :D  This is part of the reason I dont want another one, they are like living with teenagers, as long as they have food you dont even know you have them  ;D.  I know a lady on another forum who has 3 Pyrs and she said they are the same as my Shibas, but I have no clue if that is normal for the breed.  I can understand the though behind not making leaving a big deal, but I always make me comeing home a big deal for Gage.  He gets fed when I come home, so he loves me  ;D

Wish I could be more help, just know that you are not the only one :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:24 am »
I know a lady on another forum who has 3 Pyrs and she said they are the same as my Shibas, but I have no clue if that is normal for the breed.
Yep, the most common question from my guests is "Where is Lily?". She is not noticable at all...she barks when people arrive, greets when they come in and they don't see her for the rest of the night; she is sleeping somewhere ::) :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:59:13 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:40 am »
I'm a little jealous, actually.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:05 am »
Mine greet me each and every time that I come home.  Usually just short of jumping on me but lots of licking, tail wagging, and nose up the butt goosing. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:30:36 am »
I bet it's just because it's so routine for her.

I think you are right Julie. Because I have avoided any greeting for so long and almost never pat her if she asks for it she "chilled"  :) to the point that I feel a liitle lonely  :D

Here is what I found

http://www.webtrail.com/petbehavior/dogthink.html
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:10:49 pm »
OMG, this part made me so sad. I make my dogs worry.  :'(

When we are late getting home, or if they over-miss us because we spoil them with attention and petting every time they demand it, they very likely worry in images, too

Aww, that is sad  :'( That is exactly why I like the way she "doesn't react". I don't feel guilty going for a happy hour after work or to the gym...I know Lily is in bed ::)
I just want to make sure that this doesn't mean she looks at us as Queen Lily followers :) ???
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:12:37 pm »

Olesya, I think you need to act like a complete a** when you come home. Dance, sing and bounce around. Then, your dogs will react like mine.  :D
I don't want to hear me sing baby! LOL Lily might pack her stuff and leave me after the first song :D :D :D
Mary W. Crane

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:21:19 pm »
I'm kinda jealous too. :D

I get pinned against the wall when I first walk in the door. They work together, Bubba leans and does the pinning and Lola does the wiggling and toe stomping. LOL

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »

And you are total Queen Lily subjects.
NO WAY! You really think so? LMAO!!! ::)
Mary W. Crane

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31:27 pm »
Gunther, Nigel and Posey will meet me at the door.  Nigel and Posey are usually extremely excited, with Nigel jumping on me even though he knows it's not allowed (we've been working on this since we got him).

They don't get petted right away but they have to wait till I make my way back to the bedroom to change.  And N&P have to sit before they are petted.

Keiko does not greet me at the door, and hasn't in years.  I guess she figured she was past the age of greeter and has passed the torch onto the younger generation.   :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:54 pm »
Grace greets everyone at the door, except me.  She's glad to see everyone with an exubrance and energy level that could shake the earth.  Her stubby is always going a mile a minute and wags it a lot when she sees her new poodle boyfriend, Rosco. 
I think wagging is a good sign.  I tell people who seem afraid of her "her tail's wagging, don't worry".

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 06:04:31 pm »
All three of my dogs will greet who ever is at the door.  They smell the person, and sit for a hello, and follow you around.  None of my dogs have ever jumped...perha ps because titan weighs a skinny 200 pounds, and hasn't figured out he can jump yet.  I like it when my dogs greet me, perhaps it is because the hubby works from 4 am until 12 am the next day. So it is a little security. They will bark 2 times, and then they go to their beds and relax.  I would be offended if my dog didn't want to say hi to me, i would know that i have done something that they didn't approve of.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 06:11:31 pm »
Kira will sometimes get up and come to the door when I get home but other times she will lay there look up at me with her tail wagging, Gunner, big goofball, on the other hand has learned that if he hits the storm door hard enough it will open and he comes flying out to me and usually trips me while he is running in circles around me but he hasnt jumped on me YET.  He does do a little nipping lately though.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 06:47:08 pm »
Mark me down in the jealous category!  Bo has always been excited when we come home, but nothing crazy.  He's actually worse with guests (which is very embarrassing). 

Raja however...  The first time we woke up in the morning after adopting her she practically attacked my husband with her enthusiasm.  Our sweet docile dog was jumping on him, licking his face, stomping on his toes, and nipping at his goatee.  Same reaction when we come home.  Who ever wakes first or comes home first gets the full brunt of it, but it is repeated in a slightly more subdued manner when the next batter is up.  It's not as bad as it used to be, but nothing seems to work training wise to stop it completely.

On the bright side, she is pretty polite with company.  Just leans on them a bit and sits on their feet looking at them to pet her.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP