Author Topic: Only rottie owners understand  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Rugby and Kona mum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • BLOG
Only rottie owners understand
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »
I am back!  I first signed up here over a year ago to find a group of people that understand the loss of your pets. I found companionship and ultamatly another Rottweiler.Rio n.

Rion was my special Rottie rescue after losing 2 rotties (12.5 and 8.5 years) I lost them in 6 months of each other. I was shattered. So along came Rion my blind rottweiler that filled the hole in my heart. I taught Rion to answer to voice commands, he taught me patience. I taught him to trust again and that the world is not all bad, he paid me back in kisses and endless love. I lost Rion after only 1 year of having him suddenly to Cancer. He was only 3 years old. I was shattered once again. 3 rotties in 18 months!!!

I tried again and now rescued yet another disposed of Rottweiler. He was found runnning the streets of Michigan and had used all his time up in the shelter and was going to be gassed. I took on my King who is named now KONA. He is in my pic and he is very majestic and looks/acts like a king. Kona has also allowed me into his guarded life and filled my heart.

I learned from the loss of my Rion that these rescued dogs are a blessing and ones that should be treasured. I miss my Rion the lion and will be eternally grateful for extending his heart and trust after he had such a rough start to life. He passed being loved and was treated like the gem he was- its what I hold onto to help with his sudden and devastating loss.

I have another dog a lab- my faithful Rugby, I love her to bits but life is not complete without coming home to a waggin nub.

Pic #1 is Rion my blind little sugar
Pic #2 is Kona my nlt so little King
Let me be the person my dog thinks I am

lins_saving_grace

Re: Only rottie owners understand
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:05:26 pm »
Kona is a majestic looking man.  What an alert face. And Rion looks so perky in his pic.
They are a rare breed.  It's funny how they can look so intimidating and surprise you with such gentleness and kindness.  They understand people and actions and face the world with such vigor.  Their presence is so hard to miss, but their absence and loss makes a huge hole in the heart. 
I love my rotti, Grace.  She's my rock and my pillow at the same time.  I didn't rescue her; I got her as a puppy.  She and I have this connection that I've never had with another dog.  She plays me like a fiddle sometimes and drags me up when I'm down.  I try to return what she gives me, but sometimes I feel I fall short.  Her heart is as big as she is.    
I'm glad you found another rotti to rescue.  I thinkthey deserve the chance that not many people are willing to give them. 
I hope you have many years of happiness with that gorgeous boy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:07:15 pm by Lin »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:03:39 pm »
Hi & welcome back.  Though I'm not a rotti mom (but I love them, too), I do understand the pain of losing a 3 y/o pup to cancer.  A cancer diagnosis at that age is such a shock.  Our big pups don't even really finish maturing until about 3, so in my case I felt like I was losing my big puppy.  :( 

I'm so sorry for your losses.  Honestly I can't imagine losing 3 furry babies in 18 months.   :'(  I think that it's more than wonderful though that you reached out and saved Kona.  I also hope that you have many wonderful years now with Rugby & Kona.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:26:59 pm »
What an honorable tribute to your pets. Rion and Kona are both gorgeous - and, I agree, Kona definitely fits his name. He is nothing less than regal.

You are a truly special person for taking these abused and forgotten dogs and filling them with love and trust for however long they are with you.

Sometimes, the brightest lights burn out too quickly.

I can't wait to see more of Kona and Rugby.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:30:37 pm »
Sometimes, the brightest lights burn out too quickly.

isn't that the truth.  I know that if I lost my Grace young I would know she lived every minute to its fullest.  That dog gets the most out of each day.
It still doesn't make your loss any easier.  But you gave them all the love and attention they deserved.  I'm sure they appreciated that and rest in peace now having had that.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 06:28:11 am »
That is truely heartbreaking to have so much loss in such a short time. I am so sorry. It is so rewarding having a rescue rotti. We got our boy Puck when he was around a 1yr old. His first owners divorced and he was returned to the breeders. We had just lost our 6 moth old rotti to severe HD. Puck has the same father that our puppy had. Puck was so grateful to be back in a house and on a couch. He has been the best boy ever. It breaks my heart to think of the day we won't have him  :'(

Kona is very handsome and regal.
Rion looked like a beautful soul.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:28:34 am by Icerotti »