Author Topic: HELP!! Moo might have eaten a pill!!!  (Read 5035 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
HELP!! Moo might have eaten a pill!!!
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:31:15 pm »
Moo might have eaten a pill out of my sisters room.  This was 15 minutes before I got home from school tonight.  My mother told me that she thinks she saw him grab a brown pill off the floor in my sisters room.  So I gave him 2 tablespoons of activated Charcoal, and called the emergency vet.  they told me to call Animal Poison Control, I don't have a credit card.  Now mom thinks it was just a brown wrapper that was rolled up cause she searched the room after I gave him the charcoal.  He's a little bit listless right now, but it is past his bed time and he is usually a little dopey around this time.  What do you suggest I do??  Please any advice right now would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:31:50 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

jesday

Re: HELP!! Moo might have eaten a pill!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:45:52 pm »
Do you have any idea what the brown pill might have been? It sounds like a vitamin or perhaps an ibuprophen. If it was just one it shouldn't bother a dog Moo's size too much. The activated charcoal should take care of it. But the charcoal could also be the reason Moo is a bit listless right now. Although it absorbs whatever toxins might be in the stomach it can also give him an upset tummy. I'm guessing the emergency vet told you certain signs to watch for, otherwise I bet he'll be good as new tomorrow.  ;)

Please let us know how he is doing. It must be very upsetting for you.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:49:52 pm »
Sorry, I guess I should've mentioned Moo is 17 pounds.  But yeah, We're goona watch him like a hawk tonight, and 2 tablespoons shouldn't really do a whole lot other then make his poop black.  I think it was just a little too much stress for me to handle after a 14 hour day, and I over reacted a little.  I'll let you know how he is in the mornign though. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:50:39 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:42 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I know how you feel my smooth fox terrier ate my BP pill he was a little goat he ate anything he could find on the floor :o We called the vet and they said give him bread and milk i think anything to absorb it. Well he zoomed around the house and stared at us a lot it was also a water pill so he peed a lot as well. His weight was about 24 pounds.
Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 06:19:28 am »
He's fine today.  It must have been a wrapper, now I just feel bad about forcing the Charcoal down his little throat.  Oh well, I've read my family the riot act a few times about leaving pills and non dog friendly food around where my little garbage disposals can get it.  Hopefully this was a wake up call to them that they need to be more careful.  Thanks for the advice and for talking me down from my "crazy ledge".   ;) :) :)