Author Topic: Wolf Hybrids...Any Thoughts?  (Read 18867 times)

jesday

Re: Wolf Hybrids...Any Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 02:34:38 pm »
He's such a lucky fellow. I sincerely wish you the best of luck with him. I hope he has a long and successful life. :)

Please, please watch for signs of wolf regression as he gets older and take appropriate steps to ensure his safety as well as those around you. I'm sorry to sound preachy. I just still get teary eyed thinking about what happened to our Paco and that was ten years ago. :'( We should have paid more attention and done something about it. Instead he had to die because of our lack of appropriate action. Double sadness. :'( :'(

(See my previous post on this thread)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:39:12 pm by El'skids »

marypyrs

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:40 pm »
Oh BOY!  :o I'm glad you got him back.

I've had two Wolf/Xs in my life. Mingo was Mal/Wolf rescued at a little over 5 wks old. WAY too young ~ but my boys grew up with him and he was wonderful in each and every way. He was with us for 14 years and I miss him to this day. He was fine with larger livestock but not with smaller or with birds of any type. I worked around it.

Boozhoo was Saint/Collie/Wolf. My Dear Heart.  :-* Again, his life on earth was 14 years. Another rescue who was saved at an early age from certain death by a kind neighbor of the people who had him and his siblings. He was fantastic with all living things. Perhaps the St/Collie in his heritage. He worked ever so well with the Pyrs too.

Both these boys had one heavy shedding a year and always in August. It was with Mingo that I first started spinning. With the Pyrs I'm in constant "Spinning Paradise".  ;) The brushing is a labor of love.

Watch and monitor your Babe at all times. He's not a tiny puppy so you don't know yet his whole personality. As People Whisperer says, it doesn't hurt to have the AB close at hand ~ but you'll no doubt have a lot of "floss" floating around on top.  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 07:04:25 pm »
Congratulation s!  Sounds like you have a real sweetie on your hands.  Fostering, in my opinion, is one of the greatest things a person can do to help animals.  I can't let go of them and tend to take in ones that aren't wanted.  I have to limit myself to transports, overnight stays and running rescue events and pet fairs.  It takes at least a month, if not 6 or more to really see a rescued dogs personality emerge.  They have to feel secure and confident that they are in your home to stay.  A shy, timid dog can easily turn into the dominant, alpha dog, running the entire household ragged.  We are still watching ChiChi's personality evolve and we have had her since May.  I have not dealt with wolf hybrids, but think they are beautiful animals.  I have heard that they can be a handful, but then i appreciate that trait in my dogs, so I envy you the experience.  Just remember to maintain your position in the pack and reinforce it if need be, with the new addition.  You should do just fine as long as you are aware of what is going on and stay on top of the situation.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline BostonsDad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Hound Dog Solutions
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 09:41:21 pm »
There seems to be a great number in our area (the Greater toronto area). At least, people say they have them.

The one or two I've met that I actually believed were part wolf:

1. In rural Ottawa, the darn thing scared me and my dog at the time to death. It howled, snarled, looked like it was always hunting. Granted, they didn't take great care of it. But the wolf never left its personality.

2. In suburban Toronto, the darn thing was cute, played well with others and avoids confrontation. It looks like a big siberian. It plays like one too. If you saw it from a distance or without any kind of perspective in place, you'd probably think it was a siberian.

I think it's a coin flip as to how a wolf hybrid turns out. As always stated, you can take the wolf out of the wild...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:16:33 am by Jacksmom »
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."
---
“. . . there was about him a suggestion of lurking ferocity, as though the Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept.” Jack London