Author Topic: Hurts for 2 yr-old to stand  (Read 5908 times)

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
  • Petra - my beautiful Bouvier!
    • View Profile
Hurts for 2 yr-old to stand
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:50:16 pm »
Hi all,

I am posting this question for my sister.  She has a 2 year old part Bermese Mountain/GSD dog.  She has had him for about a year, and tonight, when she came from work, he was having trouble standing and she had a hard time getting him to walk for a potty outside.  He is usually very active - she takes him for 2 walks a day - but is now on the couch and doesn't want to get up.  He will hobble for her, but she doesn't want to push him.  He let her brush him and she tried massaging his hips - she said he seemed to like it.  Any ideas?  She is stuck in the house right now until her BF comes back - she is scared that if she takes him out she won't be able to coax him back in.

I'm worried because it seems to have happened so suddenly.  He is a big boy - about 110, but she has always been careful and gives a glucosamine  pill each day.

Thanks for any advice.  I'm sure she'll visit the vet tomorrow, but right now she is really worried . . .

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Hurts for 2 yr-old to stand
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:09:30 pm »
It could be a few different things. He could have just twisted something and is sore. If he enjoyed the hip massage and didn't yelp with the pressure, that would be my best guess.  Maybe he just took a "wrong" turn while he was running. It happens.

There are other, more severe, things it could be but I wouldn't worry about those until she sees how he is doing tomorrow.

If she needs to take him outside before BF comes home, she can put a towel under his hips and use it like a support sling, holding the ends of the towel so he's not putting weight on his hips.

Hope he's OK.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:12:17 pm »
Thanks.  She will be glad to hear that, and the sling idea is great.  She is going to call me in a few minutes, and I will pass along the advice.  Thanks for responding so quickly!!!

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »
Are there other symptoms? If he is so bad that he can not stand go outside or off the bed without help ~ and if it has come on so quickly ~ I would be on the phone calling emergency at this moment. Something is drasticlly wrong. Don't wait. Call now. They'll know the right questions to ask. And if he should be brought in this evening.

I hope it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted.

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:49:36 pm »
Well, it is almost 11 and my sister hasn't called back yet so I assuming that her boyfriend must have come back, and maybe they went to the vet.  I will chat with her tomorrow and see how he is. 

I will let you all know how it goes.  It is heartbreaking - this is her first dog and her baby.  When she rescued him, no one wanted him because of his size, but he is a gentle giant - a true sweetie.  They go everywhere together.  Anyways - I'll post again tomorrow!!

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:58:02 pm »
I talked to my sister and she says he is feeling better.  Not perfect, but will stand up and walk around a bit, and has no trouble going for his potty run.  They think it must have been a pulled muscle.  Thanks so much for all your help!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:04:44 pm »
Good to hear!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain