Author Topic: Introducing new puppy to current puppy. HELP!  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Mom of Redheads

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Introducing new puppy to current puppy. HELP!
« on: August 10, 2008, 05:38:22 pm »
Hi everyone!  This is my first post, but I've been learning so much from this board for about a week.  I have a 5 month old Enlglish Masiff named Dutchess.  We rescued her 2 months ago.  She is our 5th mastiff, but the first to actually live here at our home.  Our other mastiffs have lived at my husband's pawn shop as the "guard dogs."  My husband brought Dutchess home on a Friday night and said he couldn't leave her at the shop with our other dog unattended and planned on taking her there the next day.  I DON'T THINK SO!  She's my baby now!   ;)

Anyway, I am picking up an 8 week English Mastiff hopefully this week from a breeder.  I need some input on how to introduce the two.  I am not taking Dutchess with us to pick the puppy up. 

Thanks in advance for your help!
Michelle

Mommy to Dutchess/Apricot English Mastiff 2/08
Chase and Reagan--my non furry babies--6 and 7

jesday

Re: Introducing new puppy to current puppy. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:05:24 pm »
I think this is a good age to introduce them. They will most likely want to play, play, play. I would just be watchful to make sure Dutchess doesn't overpower the little guy. Is Dutchess housebroken? She will probably be a good teacher for the new pup.

I wouldn't leave them unattended together for a few days until you can get a feel for how they are together. The pup may want to snuggle up as it will the first time away from its litter mates. Hopefully Dutchess will love the attention.

Welcome to BPO. I'm sure fellow Mastiff owner will be a wealth of information for you. :)