Author Topic: Puppy food  (Read 9764 times)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Puppy food
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:14:39 pm »
I have a question about how long do you feed puppy food? Since a great dane grows for 2 years, should you feed the puppy food for 2 years? ::) I feed her Eagle Pack Hollistic Giant Breed Puppy. She is not getting fat on it at all. She is eating approa 8 cups a day.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy food
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:19:50 pm »
I was just about to post a question about pup food myself, so instead of posting another new thread I will ask here and see what I get.

Same question about how long to feed a Dane pup puppy food... I wasn't sure with their growth period being so long either.

Also, I was curious to get a general consensus on what the best food for Danes is. Puppy food first obviously, and then adult. Right now she is on IAMS (gasp) large breed puppy because I haven't had a chance to go searching online and just got her a few days ago. I can't go TOO expensive or my hubby will probably kill me. But I definitley want higher quality than the store brands. Any ideas from my wonderful BPOers would be greatly appreciated!!!

thankssss

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:10:20 pm »
thanks thanks thanks!!!

Yes, I plan on getting her off Iams asap. Like I said, It was just a temporary deal so that she had food right now. I have no natural pet food stores here, only chains so I have to order online. I will try looking into Innova and Eagle Pack since both of you have mentioned it. Thanks again!

Valkyrie is only 10 weeks old so she will stay on puppy food

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:22:33 pm »
Just to let you know.  Petco carries Wellness foods now.  they also carry solid Gold wolf cub.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:28:23 pm »
no petco here, just petsmart. but I will check and see what they carry

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »
thanks thanks thanks!!!

Yes, I plan on getting her off Iams asap. Like I said, It was just a temporary deal so that she had food right now. I have no natural pet food stores here, only chains so I have to order online. I will try looking into Innova and Eagle Pack since both of you have mentioned it. Thanks again!

Valkyrie is only 10 weeks old so she will stay on puppy food

You may not have to order online. Check out the sites Julie listed & they will direct you to a Supplier. I live out in the country and rather than driving 35+ miles I go only 12 to our small town & our Groomer who brings in anything I want & ask for.  :) She knows what I need/want. How much. And when.  

By the way. Solid Gold has changed their formula. I fed it for a long, long, time. But no more. Plus, you can pretty much bet that when a company starts distributing to stores like Petco & Petsmart ~ the quality has gone  DOWN!!!! And they're in it for the money - not quality.  :-\

Just my own opinion.

Modified to add ~ you could call Groomers close to you OR some of the up-end Kennels/Boarding Kennels. They often times carry some great foods. They are not always listed on the the food sites.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:47:01 pm by marypyrs »

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:37:28 pm »
I feed Gage adult food, he was about 7 months when I got him, and I feed him Acana, which is a Canadian food, and it is made close to where I live so getting it is never a problem.

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 05:41:23 pm »
what about royal canin?

AND do we think petfooddirect. com is the best/cheapest place to buy Innova online? There is no place that sells it near me
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:45:38 pm by MeAndMyMuttz »

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:07:15 pm »
www.k9cuisine. com

orders over $50.00 have free shipping
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:23:04 pm »
thank you all so much I'm checking into those sites right now. I only want the best for my girl. With Oliver on a home cooked organic diet (which I can't afford for two giant beast dogs) and Abigail lifting her nose at anything but Purina (ugh, I know give me a break, she's crazy) I haven't looked into natural diets for a long long time. And my hubby would probably murder me if I went to expensive :p

thanks again BPOers!!!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 06:49:48 am »
Yup I use k9cusine.com as well. Love the free shipping!! They carry alot of the better brands. So thanks for the info. Athena is 13 months now so I guess I will start the cange over to the adult variety. As a note when I got her they had her on Science Diet Large breed. After all I read about the problems with Great Danes and Large breed food I started her change over right away. Her coat changed to a very soft and shinny one after only a couple of weeks on the Eagle Pack. I just love this site. It is so nice knowing I can get first hand experience form you guys!! :-*
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties