Author Topic: Picky, Picky, Picky!  (Read 15655 times)

Lyn

Picky, Picky, Picky!
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:40:34 am »
With maturity comes great pickyness? LOL

Bubba is normally my food picky dog. I finally have him eating him food without toppings. So now Lola starts. She is usually a huge food pig but for the last week she will sit and look at me like "Ummm excuse me! Where's my cheese??!!.. I'm NOT eating that without my CHEESE! :D

We are on the same bag of Orijen so I know it's not a bad bag.

I would just stay heck with it and let her starve but she pukes up bile if she doesn't eat regular meals. So I've been giving into her. But now Bubba is starting to get picky again since he realized that I'm adding extras on Lola's kibble and he wants some. It only took him a week to realize it, LOL That's my big dumb boy. :D LOL

But hubby thinks she's just tired of the same old food and wants to pick up a bag of something else to mix in. Which is what we did before when Bubba was being stubborn and picky. But that the same time I don't want to start a habit.

Why can't they just eat it and make my life easier? LOL

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Picky, Picky, Picky!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:49 am »
I can't aswer your question as I have been doing the same thing for the past year ::) :P Thanksfully, Lily doesn't puke when she doesn't eat :)
Are you feeding Orijen Chicken or Fish? I have tried chicken and Lily didn't like it but she LOVES 6 fish formula and eats it with no cheese or gravy ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:37:59 am »
I'm feeding the chicken one, Orijen adult. They don't like the 6 fish but the last bag I bought to mix was Wellness Ocean Core, which is fish and they ate it. Go figure, LOL

I tried hot water so it was warm, smelly and soggy. That worked one day. Then I cooked hamburger.. Then we moved onto the shredded cheese I had left over and the cheese slices which we have now used up.

My son went to make a grilled cheese sandwhich and asked me where the cheese slices were.. I told him to ask Lola. :D

I really don't see anything wrong with toppings. It's just the fact that she won't eat at all unless something is on there. It may just be time for a food switch. I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday either. :-\

Tina, Lola requires more than a tablespoon of cheese. It must cover the entire top of the kibble or she will only eat half and look for more cheese to finish the rest of the kibble. LMAO The only time I can get away with a tablespoon is if it's cottage cheese or yogurt. Which I don't have any of since Bubba finished those during his picky week. :D

If she's not eating without toppings by Friday hubby will likely buy another bag of food.  :-\

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:44:56 am »
Maybe they just like the moisture?  Monty for awhile... he was going through some sort of "princess" phase, and wouldn't eat anything unless it was moist...

SO...I made some chicken/veggie broth and put it away, every day, poured a little bit on the kibble, just the top, and he'd gobble it up!  I made a HUGE pot, so it lasted me quite awhile... :)

LOL, I had to label it "MONTY's SOUP!! NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION"  (he was staying at my mother's house for awhile, and my step dad is a fridge grazer :P)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:15:47 pm »
Wow! Your dogs sure have you trained!  ;)

My mutts eat anything - including dirty kleenex, rocks, dryer sheets, cat poop, bugs, etc...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:28:45 pm »
LMAO!

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 03:56:39 pm »
GAH! She's getting worse!

I never should have gave into her in the first place. >:( Now cheese is not good enough. So she can starve.. I'm not giving in this time.

I'm waiting for hubby to get home from work so we can go shopping. I was going to buy her another kibble to mix with the Orijen but at this point I'm so ticked off at her. I'm home coming home with Orijen and she's going to eat it!  :P

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:02:18 pm »
Don't you hate that feeling of hopelessness  :( :P
Mary W. Crane

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:47:11 pm »
This is exactly why I hated feeding kibble.  My dogs wouldn't eat it plain.  I've never had a dog eat it plain.  I was cooking 2 chickens, deboning them and pureeing them, every week.  I mixed the chicken with brown rice and froze small containers of it for dog food topping, that they got at night.  In the morning, they got yogurt or cottage cheese on top.  When they would get tired of chicken, I had some beef put aside, pureed with rice, for a change of pace.  I threw away at least 1/4 of the food that I prepared for their meals and with EVO that gets expensive.  Thank god for raw feeding. I can swap up with chicken backs, necks, pork, mackerel, organ meats, turkey, lamb, etc.  They always are excited over mealtime and if they don't eat it all, they get it for the next meal.  No waste, ever.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »
This is exactly why I hated feeding kibble. 
I started feeding kibble because my dog stopped eating raw...period :( I figured I will mix raw and kibble and it worked for a while. Now she wants nothing to do with raw at all  :-\
Mary W. Crane

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:57:43 am »

I agree with your husband.  I am not sure how well we would expect ourselves, or our children to eat the same thing day in and day out and be happy about it - dogs are no different.

This is not a behavior issue that dictates that you stand your ground.  Instead, why not provide them with variety and help to ensure they enjoy their food?  Enjoying your food is critical to health and longevity.

I recognize that I come from this with a different perspective since I don't feed kibble here - but every foster dog I get comes to me on kibble and 9 times out of 10 has some sad, pathetic ritual of picking at his food, walking around the bowl or some other maneuver of trying to get up the will to eat it.  I truly believe this is sad and unacceptable and we should be doing what we can to provide food that meets their needs (and enjoyment).  My fosters are always thrilled with the diet I put them on here, and my own dogs have never not gone diving into their bowls and this is the way it should be - happily eating.

The foster boy I just placed two weeks ago went to a kibble home and we required that they provide variety as a result -it is healthier and holds their interest. So I would encourage you to find 3 or 4 good quality foods they do well on, and rotate bags.  Even if you only found 2 types - that is better than the same thing every day, 352 days a year.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:09:44 pm »
I did pick up a bag of Horizon Legacy. Although it's another 'chicken based' food like Orijen. Miss Picky was eating fine for a day or 2 now she's back to being a pain. I don't think it's so much the kibble.. she wants 'human food'.

Acana has came out with a couple different grain free options. I checked the store today and they don't have them in yet, just their regular formulas.

I want to try them on EVO red meat but I wish I could get it closer to home.  :-\

AudgePadge

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:02 pm »

I never should have gave into her in the first place. >:( Now cheese is not good enough. So she can starve.. I'm not giving in this time.

::sigh:: Oh Miss Lola...I mean...PRINCES S Lola... She really is something huh? When I first rescued Monty, he pulled that stunt on me...and at first...I didn't fall for it...but then he starved himself to the point where NOW...he gets home-made soup... :-[  I don't even cook like that for the human family!
lol

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:40:28 pm »
With maturity comes great pickyness? LOL

"Ummm excuse me! Where's my cheese??!!.. I'm NOT eating that without my CHEESE! :D
Funny you say that...I hear this a lot from my dog. 
I get this look too.  I don't even try to serve kibble without milk on it.  She'll look at me like "Where's my splash of milk?"

AudgePadge

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:50 am »
I found a healthy food topper for all of us..."well trained owners"  ;D

Too bad it doesn't come in larger quantities...J ust ordered the Chicken and Salmon...We shall see...

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Halo-Dinner-Party/115050.aspx