Author Topic: Help with new puppy  (Read 4840 times)

Offline AmyM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help with new puppy
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:56:15 am »
Hi everyone,

I stumbled onto your site and decided to stay.  You guys are very approachable and don't even mind dumb questions.  Hats off to you.

Soooo, here's my question.....I currently have a 16 month old pup named Cody(I know, I know not very original name).  Been trained, exercised, neutered...... I am receiving a new pup named Leroy in 3 weeks ;D ;D ;D.....Cody is, shall we say......Rowdy at times.  How should we introduce our new puppy to our big beast and keep his rough play in check?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Help with new puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:04 am »
Welcome and congratulation s on your new puppy!!! :-*
It is the best to introduce dogs somewhere outside, away from your property. You could take Cody for a long walk or dog park play to wear him out and then introduce the newcomer  :) ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:51:15 am »
Just wanted to say good luck with your new puppy.  He is a cutie and so is your big boy in your avatar.  I've had really good luck using baby gates in the house to keep the large ones from accidently running over the smaller pups.  They can see each other through the bars and it gives everyone some breather room.  When one gets overly worked up then place behind the gate.  I know that I am avoiding how to do the initial introduction but I have found that it really depends on my dogs how I do the initial intros. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline AmyM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:07:49 am »
Great ideas guys.  I had already decided to introduce them out in neutral territory but the gate idea is a perfect solution.  And I already have gates of course. Thanks.  I'm off to post another topic.