Author Topic: SKUNK !  (Read 3588 times)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
SKUNK !
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:48:21 am »
Who's got a good de-skunking shampoo?

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: SKUNK !
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 09:50:54 am »
The only thing that we have found that works is tomato paste.  It's thick enough to really work in and it gets rid of the smell.  Yuck--skunk! 

Jessica

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:59:25 am »
He Wlemons in the Pyr email list someone just saw something on mythbusters about that, I'll see if I still have it and post it ;D it was baking soda liquid soap and something else

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:00:40 am »
OK here is the email

I was watching "Myth Busters" on the Discovery Channel last night.  You
know, the guys who answer the questions "Can you really do that?"  One
of the segments was answering the question of what really works when
you get sprayed by a skunk.  They actually provoked skunks into spraying
them to have something to remove. 

The first thing they noticed was that the thiols responsible for that
horrible odor are activated by water, so just washing is worse than
nothing at all.  They tried tomato juice, beer, feminine hygiene products
(vinegar/water), the peroxide/baking soda/detergent solution offered
here, and Skunk Remover (a commercial product).  Beer was a bust, as was
the vinegar/water.  Tomato juice worked fairly well, as did the
commercial product.  What worked best at removing thiols was the mix of 1 qt 3%
hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 1 tsp liquid
soap.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline momma-st

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 01:35:36 pm »
Sorry that you got sprayed.. Our maggie thinks it is fun to chase the little stinkers... We have found the the tomato juice works the best...

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 02:10:08 pm »
 There was a post earlier today I could not get the link to work this is what I posted. I have not tried this. Had no reason to yet..LOL

I have not used this solution but I found it on the internet.
How to reduce the stink of a skunk encounter

When you hunt with a dog out in the woods on a regular basis. eventually your dog will cross the path of a skunk.  This encounter can have several possible outcomes but we will cover the one where you dog comes back to you with a very pungent aroma.  Many people will try shampoo, tomato juice, and vinegar without satisfactory results.  Your dog will still be exiled to the outside.  If this happens on a weekend and there's no fancy pet store open with all their scientific cures you can try this home remedy to help reduce the fragrance of that meeting.

In a one gallon plastic bucket, combine one quart of three percent hydrogen Peroxide, a quarter cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and one teaspoon liquids soap.

Get the dog completely wet and work the solution thoroughly into the dog's hair.  Let it set in the hair for four to five minutes just like a flea and tick shampoo.   Then hose it out completely with regular water.   If there is still too strong aroma after the dog is dry, repeat the procedure.

Only make up as much as you need at one time because this solution is unsafe to bottle and store.

How does it work? Well, skunk essence is made of sulfur molecules. The materials in the recipe, when mixed together, form an alkaline peroxide, which chemically changes the skunk essence into sulfonic acid; a completely odorless chemical. The soap breaks down the oily skunk essence, making it more susceptible to the other chemicals.

• If possible bathe the dog outside, especially if they've been sprayed heavily. Or, if it's too dark or cold, in the bathroom with the door closed and window opened.

• Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it will explode).

• Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur.

• Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed.

• Keep mixture away from your dog's face and eyes (it's a harsh solution). (If your dog has been sprayed in the face, try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.)

• Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.

• Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head).

• After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet.
Also, Benzole Peroxide shampoo can also help.

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 02:24:09 pm »
I work at a grooming shop and the peroxide formula works great but you need to put it on when the dog is dry and be very careful not to get it in the eyes. It will bleach out dark colored dogs.