Author Topic: salmonella schwarzengrund Anyone know how to treat it???  (Read 11519 times)

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
  • Heather *packed* going to Pow Wow
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
salmonella schwarzengrund Anyone know how to treat it???
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:28:43 am »
for many people who have been feeding the food recently (today) recalled by Mars petfood (everson plant, pa) contaminated with Salmonella Schwarzengrund .   (www.petcare.ma rs.com for recall info)

VETS are now refusing to treat, they do not want this very contagious bacteria in their offices.. does ANYONE have / know of anything to treat them with?? to save the dogs

my pyr is fed raw.. so not a worry..

but for many others.. (pedigree foods included)this is getting really serious fast.. i have been trying to find out what treats it.. so far found what does NOT TREAT IT.. its linked by CDC as being multi drug resistant.. these drugs do NOT affect it .. ampicillin, chloramphenico l, gentamicin, kanamycin, nalidixic acid, sulfamethoxazo le, tetracycline, and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. neither do streptomycin, streptothricin or those in the Fluoroquinolon es.

(makes me want to growl and bite the petfood industry, why wait till saturday to post the recall. esp since the plant was closed down july 29th because of this bacteria. 2nd time for same plant. last time was a yr ago )
Josephine Morningstar
Josephine Morningstar & Heather, Grt Pyr MASD
Native American in New England.
Never threaten anyone. It ruins the surprise.

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
Re: salmonella schwarzengrund Anyone know how to treat it???
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:29 am »
they have lost 9 dogs with the symptoms of the vomiting / bloody diarrhea .  there are 6 more that are sick.  one of the people has a swollen arm from tending to a sick puppy .. the saliva from the animals got into a scrape they had and their arm is swollen huge..

i found about the salmonella schwarzengrund outbreak last august.  this is the same plant and the same infection. so i guess they didnt do that great a job of cleaning when they were shut down a yr ago.  what the fda page for last year stated as symptoms for dogs.. is what is happening to their kennel right now.. AND a couple others..

IF the risk was only to humans .. then why are the area vets NOT wanting people to bring in any sick animals??? seems to me they would want to treat them to get money in.. but to turn down people with pets that are sick?? with this strain.. if it is not possible for the dogs to get it or to be that sick from it .. then why are the vets turning them away??

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:13:36 am »
correction.. the last outbreak / plant closing of this same mars plant was August 2007 .. not August this year..  they did close down teh plant in july 29th this year.. but it was not until yesteday that mars even mentioned a recall.. why wait a month to recall the food?? fda just now picked it up..

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:18:36 am »
Ms, near Jackson

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:21:28 am »
these people have lost 10 dog so far.. they get the bloody diarrhea and lose weight and lay down and die. some puppies also.  they didnt know till today that the food was recalled. heck even the sam's club's do not know the food was recalled.. one would think they would be the first to know..

I feed raw also..

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09:48 am »
I'm just wondering..... ........have any of your friends' dogs been tested for parvo?  They bloody diah and vomiting are also signs of that and you would lose alot of dogs quickly.

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:27:45 pm »
Otherwise healthy dogs are generally resistant to the effects of salmonella.  It's certainly possible for dogs to get sick, but those who are affected generally already had compromised immune systems.  For someone to lose 10 dogs to any strain of salmonella, they would have to have had some pretty sick dogs to begin with. 

The concern about salmonella is almost entirely a concern about transmission to humans.  Jo, you've mentioned a couple of times in this thread that you feed raw, which as I'm sure you know, puts you at similar risk of salmonella exposure as this contaminated kibble.

lost that many in the 30 days. they buy the food 2 months at a time..  the rains from the last 2 hurricanes has not helped.  lots of flooding in the area as well.  does not help.
  ==========

yes.. BUT  i wash hands.. before and after handling.. package it into 1 pound pkgs and freeze.  what i buy for Heather, is same that i would eat (only cooked) but i honestly believe that im more sanitary that any kibble mfg is.. most certainly mars petfood.  it it smells i pitch it out.

Offline JoMorningstar

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Apache Creations.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:31:20 pm »
I'm just wondering..... ........have any of your friends' dogs been tested for parvo?  They bloody diah and vomiting are also signs of that and you would lose alot of dogs quickly.

yep... tested negative..  also sent one puppy body to be autopsied. (the vet school called it that ) and they found 1 round worm.. thats all.. so they came back with that dx last month.. so they treated all dogs in kennel for that..  i believe that too much worming can weaken the immune system. OH and another vet swore that it was coccidia  (sp)  and they treated for THAT ..

guess this is just another lead? on a totally unknown reason.. its just on going.