Author Topic: Salmon Oil??  (Read 8226 times)

Offline AmyM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Salmon Oil??
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:30:57 pm »
My Cody, Newfoundland (16 month old) has been swimming in our swimming pool aaaalll summer long.....He has beautiful long dense fur, but he has developed dry dull fur...I guess due to the chlorine.  His skin is NOT dry....just his fur.  Right now he is on Innova and I really don't plan to change it because he doing really well otherwise..so here is my question....Wo uld adding fish oil to his diet help or hinder his fur or wellbeing? 

(Just so you know we just acquired a beautiful 8 week old pup(named Leroy) and I would like to make sure I do my best to improve our situation before he ends up in our pool next year.)

Thanks for your input. Thanks!!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Salmon Oil??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:42:11 am »
I give Jenny salmon oil daily for her coat (and all the other benefits of good omegas). When I adopted her, her coat was dull, she hadn't been groomed regularly, and she was shedding huge clumps of dry fur--the salmon oil has definitely helped. Her coat is so soft and shiny now.  ;D

You do have to be careful when you introduce salmon oil in terms of starting gradually so as not to have diarreha and you might have to give a little less food to prevent weight gain. It also takes a couple of weeks to notice the difference.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:23:37 am »
My dogs are on Innova too and I think it does a very good job of keeping their skin and coats in good shape. But, when Raemi had her TPLOs and had so much hair shaved off, I started adding salmon oil to her diet. Anesthesia alone tends to do a number on hair and with the incision, shaved areas and general all-over healing I figured she could use all the help she could get. I have been so happy with the results that I started giving it to Breccan as well. It just seems to add that little extra softness and shine. People always remark on how clean and nice their coats look and feel. It does seem to me that dust and dirt don't seem to 'stick(?)' as easily to them as before either. I do insist on pure salmon oil, mercury free and from "deep cold water fish". Both dogs weigh about 160 and get (2) 2000mg gel caps a day. JMO
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:39 am »
You could also try using "spray on" conditioner which will help from drying the coat out  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »

Wild Salmon oil is great -not just for skin and coat, but for joints and overall health due to its anti-inflammatory properties.  Omega 3 fatty acids are now understood to be an essential nutrient and balanced with Linoleic Acid (omega 6). So I think every dog should be eating some fish, or receiving fish oils as dog food will not supply it sufficiently.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline AmyM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:25:29 pm »
You know, your probably right that Cody's skin is probably dry too....I'm just not seeing the physical symptoms...yet .  I'll look into into salmon oil right away.  And rinsing is almost too easy but will start that right away too.  Thank goodness the pool will be closing and we will be going out to the state parks again....Thank s!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:05:27 am »
Remember to give Vit E with the Salmon oil.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:33:31 am »
We give Cabeza Dream Coat. It has a nice blend of various types of oils, which I think is helpful. Variety is good, right?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:45:31 am »
Even a drop of Dream Coat gives Lily a horrible diarrhea  :(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Tonda

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 10:02:31 am »
You might want to try something like Mane N Tail's dog wash for his coat (we always groomed our Newfies with Mane N Tail cause I had it around for my horse).

http://manentailequine.com/sprayaway_dog_faq.shtml