Author Topic: This makes me so sick!!  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
This makes me so sick!!
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:59:37 pm »
someone should take her dogs.  A white Dane is not "RARE". Someones going to buy that dog then when they find out that its not a "rare new color" there going to take it to the pound.

And I quote, "I have a very nice litter of great dane pups A.K.C reg's they will have all shots be wormed and vet checked before being shipped out.I have a rare snow white female who will be check for her hearing before being sold for 1000. and 2 harlequin females for 500. and 3 black females with white chests and toes for 350. they are only 15 days old right now so deposit will hold....  "
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:06:07 pm by jabear »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: This makes me so sick!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:04:16 pm »
I wonder why this person is claiming that the color is rare? And why would you think that the buyer would take the dog to the pound?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:07:19 pm »
yes, people selling white and off colored Danes as "rare" and charging way to much for them. I've seen so many Danes online in shelters and rescues because they were uneducated and got the dog beacuse someone told then that it was rare then when they found out they got rid of it.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 10:21:46 pm »
Well that is just stupid. Why would you get rid of your dog just because you found out the color was not super rare? If you loved the dog then it should not matter what color it is. Grrrrr....peop le make me so mad sometimes.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:22:04 pm »
yeah - this is too bad.....not just hearing should be checked but also sight since many are blind or vision impaired as well as deaf.  mark at deaf dane rescue has tons of pure white "rare" danes for a lot less then a grand.
Timmie

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 10:32:16 pm »
I think there is many sad factors here. First a so called breeder who might not be too reputable. Second if you buy a dog to breed or show you should research, if you are not interested or if that is not important to you, well no matter if you find out that the dog you bought (obviously without doing your part of reseach) isnt as rare as you thought. Well it is a member of the family and you just dont get rid of it, after all you liked the color when you bought it.

I know the world isnt that nice, and that people are mean and hearless when it comes to animals sometimes. I just hope this little girl gets to go home to a loving family who loves her for who she is.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 10:36:36 pm »
Awww it makes me want her.....

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:49:30 am »
I don't think that they get rid of them for the color, but because of the health problems that are inherent with the pure white danes. And because they have no clue about the breed that they just bought. If they did they would know that the breeder is full of @#$% and go to a rescue or a reputable breeder. GGRRRGGRRR
Stella

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 08:25:13 am »
OMG!!Rare- does this person think we are all idiots????????? >:(
I have one of these "rare" danes, I wouldn't trade him for the world. He is the greatest thing ever made. At least his breeder didn't try to con the public into thinking their white , deaf danes were "rare"! We got him for a $100 deposit that was returned with proof of him being neutered! That is the way it should work with anyone that ends up with these babies in their litters. Now don't get me wrong - my baby is worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but to con people is just wrong and stupid!!

Lisa

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:22:19 am »
That is so very sad.  Hopefully that little white girl will find a super forever home.  It's just amazing to me that she was allowed to live this long.   :'(

What is even more sick than that, is the people who purposefully breed harl to harl, merle to harl or even merle to merle in ANY breed! It doesn't matter if they're danes, aussies, shelties, dachshunds, catahoulas, etc.., the chances are still the same.  They know that statistically 25% of these litters will be deaf and/or blind.  Yet they breed them together anyways and usually have the "possibly" defective puppies KILLED at birth.  In danes it's the mostly white ones that are suspect, in the others its the puppies with mostly white heads and white body splashes.   That's sick!!!!  I don't care if they're show breeders or bybs when it comes to that, its wrong no matter who does it.   >:(

I apologize for my mini rant... but its just horribly, terribly wrong that people are allowed to do this and that its not considered animal abuse.   :'(
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 04:49:41 pm »
I am new to this site, but I have to totally agree with the last comment about breeding harl to harl and so on.  I got into it with a breeder not too long ago who advertised her upcoming breeding of a harl to harl on puppyfind.  I called her on what she was doing.  Even quoted the color findings from the GDCA and she still insisted that she had never had a white pup or a deaf or blind pup.  And instead of having a calm conversation with me like an adult all she could do was curse me out for stating the obvious.  I'm so tired of irresponsible breeders and all the pups who wind up in any home just to fill a quota.  Sorry, had to rant there for a minute.  Just really makes me mad. 

And by the way, I love the site so far and can't wait to meet other great, Great Dane owners.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 09:18:38 pm »
You'll never convince an irresponsible breeder that what they are doing is wrong. They already know it, they just don't care, as long as they are lining their pockets. So that is where you hit them, in their pockets. No one wants to pay hundreds of dollars for a dog with tons of potential health problems, so the best thing we can do as responsible dane owners is eduate as many people, the purchasing public, as possible. If the public is educated, the market for these dogs would dry up, and so the breeders profits. You'd be surprised how many people ask me if I would ever breed Merlin or Strider to let them know, so they can get a puppy. I go out of my way to be a little more patient than I normally am, and explain to them Merlin's pet quality flaws, despite his wonderful calm nature, and the fact that Strider is a dane looking mix, as well as a merle, and why they should not be bred. (I generally do not point out that neither of my boys are intact and breeding is physically impossible) I also point them in the direction of one of the breed specific rescues that have popped up in Illinois in the last three years for danes and encourage them to go that route. They may contact the next BYB they hear about, and purchase a puppy, I don't know. But I've done what I can.
Stella

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 09:53:04 pm »
I guess that's all we can do.  Just get the word out and hope that some people listen.  My rescue girl is getting spayed in two weeks and I wouldn't have it any other way.  On puppyfind alone there are over 900 different breeder advertisements for dane puppies with the average litter of 10.  That's 9000 dane puppies that need homes.  And that's just one website.  Have they ever heard of supply and demand.  If there isn't enough demand, stop supplying.  And BYB's are asking rediculous prices for their pups so by the time they're 4 or 5 months they're finding their way to a shelter or a puppy mill that will buy them up, ship them in 18 wheelers and half starve them.  I love dogs too much to use them to gain profit.  Breeding should not be used to make money.  And it too often is.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 11:06:09 pm »
WOW, how lucky am I to have one of those "rare" white danes!!! >:(  Mine's so "rare", I didn't have to pay a friggin penny for him.

Of course, he's not even two years old, and I have spent probably $3000 in vet bills already.  We've treated allergies, pano, HOD, and now he goes to a chiropractor weekly for adjustments at $50 a pop.  I think the Pano and hod were the cause of the skelatal problems he has now.

The only thing I can hope is that if someone has $1000 to spend on this dog, they will also have the $$ to treat any problems that come up.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 12:19:44 am »
Sadly, these poor guys rarely end up in families that are willing to go that extra monetary mile the first time around. They end up in rescues, and if they are extremely lucky, go to people like you and deafdanelvr who know what they are getting into and decide to love and care for these awesome guys forever. I think you both have great hearts, and deserve nothing but admiration for that.
Stella