Author Topic: Still doing research on raw food, have some questions...  (Read 24215 times)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Still doing research on raw food, have some questions...
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:57:16 am »
I don't know how many of you all on here are Canadian, or are living in/around Calgary such as myself, but...if you are...where do you get your raw food from? 

I've been doing lots of research on the subject, and want to know which raw food suppliers are considered to be at the top of the list of the best, which would be mediocre and which should be best left alone.  I am surprised at the number of raw food producers I've come across:

-Amore
-Arusha
-Mountain Dog Food
-Nature's Premium
-Red Dog/Blue Cat
-Urban Carnivore
-Pets Go Raw
-Farm Fresh
-Glengary Bison
-Fresh Start
-Nature's Variety
-Pleased Pets
-Top Hand

to name a few that are supplied in my local Tail Blazers pet store.  How do you choose which one is right?  And then, how do you choose which varieties to go with, or is it best to still keep it different and sometimes feed raw beef/veggie/fruit or chicken/veggie or bison/veggie/fruit or simply whole turkey etc....the possibilities are mindboggling.

The more research I do, the more I learn and am thinking that the visible results from dogs on raw diets speaks for itself- especially where BMDs are concerned. 

Also was wondering if anyone out there is feeding a combo of kibble (high quality, like Orijens) and raw food, meaning kibble being fed 4 times a week, but raw being fed 3 times a week, or something like that?

And one last question:  should we decide to take the leap and make the switch to raw food for Tucker, what is the best way to wean him from his Orijens to the raw?

Thanks in advance for all the info- I always know I will get great advice and feedback from any posts! Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.

Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Still doing research on raw food, have some questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:24:47 am »
I get my raw from the grocery store!  I feed a variety of meats and include fish and organ meat at least once a week.  I buy on sale and keep the freezer stocked to keep expenses down.  I also keep kibble down so the dog in effect eats about 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble.  Fruits and veges are fed as treats and when I cook a 'doggy stew'- its loaded with veges and fruits- dogs love cooked apples and pears.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:00:13 am »
I sell raw, so I buy in bulk and divide it up into meal size portions.  I don't feed any kibble, just raw meats, organ meats and bones.  I changed from kibble to raw, when the kibble was gone.  Supper one day was kibble and breakfast the next day was raw.  No runny poop, no throwing up, nothing.  It is my understanding that you cannot do this in reverse, but you can go kibble to raw, no problem.  I don't feed ground meats, just chickens, whole or parts, pork ribs, pork cheek meat, pork tongue, pig feet or ears, turkey wings and necks, lamb ribs and legs, whole mackerel, pork organ meats, etc.  As long as you are feeding a variety of meats, you will be fine.  Just jump in.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

List

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:51:34 am »
I now buy from the grocery store but I have tried a few pre-grounds when I was first starting out. I've used Nature's Variety's, Paws and Claws Pet Pantry and Mountain Dog Food. I really liked NV and Paws and Claws, but the MDF had way too much bone for Boston.

Now we just buy whats cheap from the grocery store/butcher/meat packer/etc... We've found this the most cost effective and have been the happiest with the results.

When we we're first looking into raw I was feeding Orijen and Legacy Grain Free kibble. I was feeding kibble in the morning and then a raw meal at night. It worked well until I felt more comfortable with going all raw. I then started doing pre-made in the am and continuing with my own in the pm. It made the transition easier on me.  ;)

Tonda

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 12:06:03 pm »

Also was wondering if anyone out there is feeding a combo of kibble (high quality, like Orijens) and raw food, meaning kibble being fed 4 times a week, but raw being fed 3 times a week, or something like that?

I do this, which makes me an outcast in both crowds, LOL! I feed kibble (Eagle Pack with the new pups, old-formula Canidae with my RIP Staffie), supplemented as follows:

All meals get salmon oil, glcosamine, chondroitin, and probiotics

Breakfast: banana or apple

Lunch: veggie "soup" (chicken broth and pureed fresh veggies)

Dinner: organic, grass-fed "pet food" (a combo of organ meant and trimmings from the sides of beef from a local butcher)

I think they're going to start getting chicken necks and wings and feet soon.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 03:27:42 am »
I live in Calgary too   ;D I get my raw from tailblaizers I just buy it by the case load as it is chaper. I go with Mountain Dog food (as that is what my holistic vet in Edmonton recommended) and Urban Carnivore as well when I can't get the type of meat I am looking form from Mountain Dog Food. I prefer that the Mountain Dog food is not in the patty form and the varity they have, organ meats chicken backs etc.

When I switched Harley to raw I just made the switch; no weaning from they Evo she was eating and she was fine, no soft stool, upset stomach etc.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:07:02 am »
I get my raw from the grocery store!  I feed a variety of meats and include fish and organ meat at least once a week.  I buy on sale and keep the freezer stocked to keep expenses down.  I also keep kibble down so the dog in effect eats about 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble.  Fruits and veges are fed as treats and when I cook a 'doggy stew'- its loaded with veges and fruits- dogs love cooked apples and pears.

Question:  if you are cooking the fruits and veggies, are you not defeating the purpose of doing the raw thing?  I read somewhere in my mass-efforts in research that fruits/veggies should be pureed into a paste form almost, because its easier for doggies to digest than eating chunks of carrots, apples, beans etc...but does that mean that cooking them first is better?  Seems to me raw and run through a food processor would make more sense- but I am VERY new to the concept of raw, so really, what do I know, LOL!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:35:02 am by Berner_Mom »
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:56:02 am »
I live in Calgary too   ;D I get my raw from tailblaizers I just buy it by the case load as it is chaper. I go with Mountain Dog food (as that is what my holistic vet in Edmonton recommended) and Urban Carnivore as well when I can't get the type of meat I am looking form from Mountain Dog Food. I prefer that the Mountain Dog food is not in the patty form and the varity they have, organ meats chicken backs etc.

When I switched Harley to raw I just made the switch; no weaning from they Evo she was eating and she was fine, no soft stool, upset stomach etc.

May I ask what the average price per case is of the Urban Carnivore and MDF?  We have been impressed by Tail Blazers, we bought a box of pure whole chicken patties from Urban Carnivore, and also bought Top Hand turkey patties.  Tucker will be having his first taste of raw tonight!

Mountain Dog Food is another brand we were interested in, but we liked the wide variety of different types of meat that Urban Carnivore offered...so we decided to try them first.

Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Tonda

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:18:59 am »
Question:  if you are cooking the fruits and veggies, are you not defeating the purpose of doing the raw thing . . . Seems to me raw and run through a food processor would make more sense- but I am VERY new to the concept of raw, so really, what do I know, LOL!

This is yet another argument that just goes round and round (among health food types too, not just dog owners). Some of the benefits are better/more accessible raw, some are better/more accessible cooked. You have to decide what works for you and, most importantly, what works for your dog.

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:43 am »
Another question has popped into my head as I sit here avoiding work...LOL...

A friend of mine just sent me an email outlining how she got her dog started on raw, and that she too, started out buying premade stuff but quickly graduated to making her own.

I need some clarification:  when serving chicken backs or other parts of chicken etc...that have bone intact, are you just letting the dog crunch everything up on his own, or are you chopping/food processing the food before serving to the dog?

I have this picture in my head of a dog staring down at his bowl that's been loaded up with chicken backs, thighs, some organ meat, a drumstick or wing....everyt hing whole, raw and just sitting there!

Do you chop up or run through the food processor first?

Thanks so much for everyone's answers- and your patience with me!
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 10:42:29 am »
The dogs have wonderfully efficient choppers- give it to them whole!

AudgePadge

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:46:00 am »
Yep! When we used to feed raw we would get whole rabbits and they'd have at it...but the veggies...sinc e...they're not too keen on eating those, I would run those through a processor, and coat it in salmon oil...worked really well. :)

Tonda

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:51:56 am »
Most raw fooders just feed whole pieces of meat, bone intact. Your dog may do well with this, or they may not. Many dogs have trouble passing the bones properly (when wild canines eliminate the bones are usually wrapped with the fur/feathers; we don't feed those bits, so it's not equivalent to real, natural feeding). With the ground-up product you eliminate this problem, but you want to make sure that you’re not overloading the dog with calcium. BARF and RMB feeding can be wonderful, but it's also complicated.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:33:43 am by MastiffOverload »

AudgePadge

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:46 am »
here's a good place to buy raw, bulk... they have duck and rabbit too!

http://www.naturalconceptsinc.net/index.html

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 02:07:52 am »
We gave Tucker his first taste of raw last night for dinner- kept it pretty bland, just whole chicken patties from Urban Carnivore.  We expected Tucker to look in his dish and be "OMG!  CHICKEN!! :o :o"  and just devour it right up, but he didn't.  He sniffed, looked at us like we were crazy, and walked away.

He went back a few minutes to sniff again, then sniff again, then he took a lick, and another lick, and another lick, then a small bite, then another bite, then he started eating.  He ate the whole thing, from the first sniff to the last bite being eaten it was probably about two hours in time, maybe two and a half.

Which leads me to my next question:  how long can the thawed food, sitting in the dish, stay out and still be ok for him to eat?

My hubby said as long as the food was COLD in the dish, it was ok.  If it had started to go to room temperature/feel warmish then he would've chucked it, but of course- what does he know?  So I'm asking you guys!

Thanks in advance, and have a good day everyone!
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese