Author Topic: Tossing around an Idea?!?  (Read 9754 times)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Tossing around an Idea?!?
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:07:18 am »
Titan has been nothing but a pain in my butt this last month! I still love him but; He won't eat. Period.
I have tried mixing up the kibble. Trying 2 differnt kinds. Wetting it and heating it up. Adding toppers like cheese or wet food. Inovva EVO has new wet food out...he loved it for 3 days now its old news; wont eat it. He runs to his treat ball and spins it around trying to get any bit of treat out that he can because he is hungry!

He just had his yearly visit to the vet. Blood work is normal stool is normal. Weight is good everything is fine. As far as his output firm and solid. So no signs of him being sick....just being completly impossible to feed!

I am tossing around the idea of making his own food and wanted to know if there is anyone else out there like me or is currently cooking for there dogs?

I am going to Chapters this weekend to get some books and read up on it. But wanted to know others opinions?!?
Thanks in advance
Adrienne and the "not so eating Titan"

Tonda

Re: Tossing around an Idea?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:35 am »
Have you tried fasting him for a day? Leave his water out, but don't give him any food or treats. A lot of BARF/RMB people also advocate fasting one day a week.

My family went though something similar with a picky Newf, and we found that fasting him when he chose to turn up his nose really did the trick.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:59 am »
Julie; Yup! He gets all excitied cuz somethings came out and he runs over to it puts it in his mouth and looks at me and then spits it out! Then continues to roll the ball around untill something more appealing spits out!

I am pretty sure I have tried everything.... I even went through the process of changing his food. Slow mixing with his current food. Soild Gold with Orijen. He loved the Orijen we had him completly switched and then he stopping eating that.... so we bought a bag of Solid gold and he starting eating that again...now he's eating notheing!

Do you think it time for some tough love?!? Modified to add: Thats what I mean no food for a day....see if he eats the next day.....PS thats what Andrew wants to do....I guess I dont have the heart.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:23:18 am by Apreston »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:59:47 am »
It sounds to me like he's got you trained.  I think he's learned that if it's not exactly what he wants, Mom will give him something else.

I'm of the firm opinion that there is no such thing as an anorexic dog. He will eat if he's hungry and that what's in his bowl is what he's getting - he just needs to learn that what you give him is what he gets...period.

I'd try fasting for a day as well. Or, put his food down and leave it. When he's hungry enough, he'll eat it.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:42:49 am »
I have to say I hate your suggestions but they are exactly what I needed to hear!  LOL ;) Tough Love!

I will try this with him....leaving it for 15 min if its eaten great if not no food till morning.

He does get feed 3 times a day 1 1/2 cups AM 1 cup mid-day and 1 1/2 cups in the PM. So today thus far he missed his lunch so if he misses his dinner.... I have to have the attitude no biggie he'll eat tomorrow.

Julie; as far as exercise goes... he gets a 20 min off leash run through the bush at lunch (weather permitting) sometimes its a 20 min walk under the trees around the block! Then at least and hour walk at night and that's incorrporating a bit of off leash time with Bella his girlfriend. So I belive he is well kept. He is not chunky to say the least I can see (in the right light) all his ribs and feel them all as well.
Thanks guys! As always appreciated! I will keep you posted on his eating habits!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:44:15 am by Apreston »

Tonda

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:08:30 am »
now she twirls and dances on her hind legs until you put the bowl down and eats every bite.
Stella

Isn't it funny how they all do their own thing. My boy goes to "his place" and sits quietly waiting . . . my girl goes to "her place" and spins like a dervish.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:24:52 am »
Sometimes my Akita is like that.   She can be picky and it drives me nuts.   IF she hasnt finished or touched her food by the time Gunner is done, I have to pick hers up or the hoover-boy will eat it for her and then she is really SOL.
Next time she is fed,  she is more willing to eat.
Have you considered cutting out his mid-day feeding to see if he is more eager to eat his am and pm meals?
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:37:28 am »
Grace is like this sometimes, and it's no one's fault but my own.  Like the dog Nazi says: "she'll eat when she's hungry."  I hate that.  I can't watch her not eat. 
For years, I've been putting "a splash of milk" on her food to make the dry kibble taste better.  I'm lucky that she eats with that on it.
I started the splash of milk when Lady had her first ACL replaced and wouldn't eat.  They both got milk on their food or at that time canned food mixed in.  Since then, Grace won't eat her food without her splash of milk.  I'm not sure how the ex gets Lady to eat her kibble now, but I like to think Lady still gives him that "where's my splash of milk?" look when he puts a bowl of dry dry food in front of her.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:50 am »
I went through exactly the same thing with Lily  ::) :P
She wouldn't eat this and that and this time and that time...after a while a realized she was only hungry at night. She would not even eat a bully stick in the morning, that's how I knew it  >:(
So, from now on she only gets her food at 7-8 p.m. and by that time she is HUNGRY :) No more issues ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:13:44 am »
If his weight is fine and he is healthy and happy I would not worry about it. Leave his food down for 20 minutes, what he does not eat stick in the fridge and try again at his regular feeding time.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »
We cut out his mid-day meal today to see if he will eat around 8ish tonight.... only time will tell. But it seams to me he is quite hungry he is going to food dish and staring at it; maybe if he stares long enough the food will come! LOL  :P
I just wanted to add I love how I started this post completley fed up with kibble and was going to cook for my dog....now with the power of BPO you all have made me see the light and the error of my ways!! ;)
Thanks again everyone  :-*

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 03:33:43 am »
I recently went through this with Bubba and Lola. They started refusing their dry kibble. So I tried adding warm water to it... that worked for a couple days. Now I add a tablespoon of canned food and haven't had any problems since. I think they were just tired of the same old same old.  :-\

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 01:22:29 am »
Yeah, you know that's what they say when you're dieting.  If you eat more small meals, you won't feel as hungry, so you can more easily eat less.  Eating fewer, larger meals should make him more eager for the ones he gets.
WHY am I only learning about his NOW!!! I could use to drop about a billion pounds!! LOL ;) I am off to eat! Thanks again!