Author Topic: Still doing research on raw food, have some questions...  (Read 24216 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Still doing research on raw food, have some questions...
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 02:18:18 am »
Actually, a lot of dogs do NOT like cold raw meat and bones. When Lily was on raw and I feed her cold turkey neck or chicken back she would leave it in her crate until it is room temperature and then ate it...pretty weird  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Tonda

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 02:46:48 am »
My Staffie wouldn't touch cold meat. I gave her a raw chicken leg once, she took it politely, ran outside and chucked it. Then she came back in the house and looked at me like I was nuts, LOL! The ground pet food (no bones) that I fed her had to be warmed in the microwave or she wouldn't touch it.

The pups seem fine with it straight from the fridge, though. But they seem to exist in a state of perpetual hunger.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 02:57:35 am »
I live in Calgary too   ;D I get my raw from tailblaizers I just buy it by the case load as it is chaper. I go with Mountain Dog food (as that is what my holistic vet in Edmonton recommended) and Urban Carnivore as well when I can't get the type of meat I am looking form from Mountain Dog Food. I prefer that the Mountain Dog food is not in the patty form and the varity they have, organ meats chicken backs etc.

When I switched Harley to raw I just made the switch; no weaning from they Evo she was eating and she was fine, no soft stool, upset stomach etc.

May I ask what the average price per case is of the Urban Carnivore and MDF?  We have been impressed by Tail Blazers, we bought a box of pure whole chicken patties from Urban Carnivore, and also bought Top Hand turkey patties.  Tucker will be having his first taste of raw tonight!

Mountain Dog Food is another brand we were interested in, but we liked the wide variety of different types of meat that Urban Carnivore offered...so we decided to try them first.

Sure  :) The urban carnivore I didn't buy a case just the box it comes in, I got a box of the beef and a box of the organ meat and they were both around $12/$14 the MDF there are 2 options you can buy a case of 12 packs of the same food or you can mix and match (which is what I did)when you buy a case you also get I believe a 5% discount. So it was around $45 for the case, MUCH cheaper than buying for 2 weeks at a time which is what I used to do. That case will last me about a month.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:17:19 am »
Funny I have a dog on Satin Balls and he would rather die than eat one UNLESS its frozen- then he loves them.  Weirdo!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 06:00:02 am »
My dogs are all different on temp preferences.  Cody will eat frozen meat.  Max and ChiChi will eat icy meat.  Jake will only eat warm, gross, stinky, chicken.  Everything else needs to be at least room temp.  It will not hurt healthy dogs to eat bad meat. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 11:38:25 am »
Hmmm...room temperature.  That makes sense as to why Tucker wouldn't touch it right away.  Tonight we will "warm" the food, or take it out of the fridge to warm up for a bit before serving.

Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 08:48:57 am »
Thanks for tip on feeding at room temperature.  It has made a difference, and Tucker is now diving into his dish of food with gusto.  So far we've tried just plain chicken and just plain turkey.  We'll be trying a "complete" dinner of chicken/fruits/veggies tonight!  Its week 2 of raw, and so far we have stuck to buying the premade stuff, from a variety of suppliers (MDF, Urban Carnivore and Top Hand), and all are being eaten happily by Tucker.
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »
Congratulation s to you for continuing to work through your dogs preferences.  I see so many people try raw and swear their dogs won't eat it and give up.  Each dog is different and in all honesty, some of my dogs have days where they don't gobble up whatever I am feeding.  That's okay.  They do without for that meal, but it's okay.  They just have their off days.  I can feed the same thing at the next meal, a few days or a week later and they will eat it like it's their favorite food.  Just like people, they have their quirks.  Good luck and it sounds like you are on the right track with Tucker.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 01:02:15 pm »
Congratulations to you for continuing to work through your dogs preferences.  I see so many people try raw and swear their dogs won't eat it and give up.  Each dog is different and in all honesty, some of my dogs have days where they don't gobble up whatever I am feeding.  That's okay.  They do without for that meal, but it's okay.  They just have their off days.  I can feed the same thing at the next meal, a few days or a week later and they will eat it like it's their favorite food.  Just like people, they have their quirks.  Good luck and it sounds like you are on the right track with Tucker.
Kathy

Thanks for the encouragement!  I have heard that from a few people I've been talking to, when they hear we are trying raw they say "Oh we tried that but Max never took to it." and I'll say "oh really?  How long did you give him to get used to it?" and the answer is usually "two days." or something as equally as short. My neighbor said "we tried it for dinner once, but it was not a hit."   My answer to that was "well, I didn't like broccoli the first time I tried it either, but my parents persisted and now its one of my favorite veggies!"  Funny.

I have to say, so far of the different varieties/suppliers we've tried, I think the MDF (Mountain Dog Food) is my least favorite (and Tucker's as well).  It is a better price, but the look of it when I serve it is so gross- not that raw food should have much eye appeal!- I have to fight not to be nausiated.  I'm thinking its going to be the one we feed the least often, which is ok, since its also the one with the least amount of variety (chicken, beef, turkey).
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

List

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 01:28:49 pm »
I just wanted to say good luck with raw! Its been quite an experience with Boston and the cats, and really I don't think I'll ever go back to kibble.

Tonda

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 03:19:52 pm »
Glad to hear it's going so well. Keep us updated on what Tucker likes. I'm always curious to know what's working for people (gives me more amo for my own babies). 

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 12:38:02 pm »
Will do.
We were going to be trying turkey patties and seperate veggie/fruit patties tonight, but alas dear hubby didn't read his cell phone in time, and didn't get my text to take the patties out of the fridge when he got home at 3pm...so they are still mostly frozen.

Tucker will be having them for dinner tomorrow, looks like tonight its Orijens. 

Its been working well, feeding his Orijens kibble in the morning for breakie and then raw at night for dinner.  We've already seen improvement in him- hardly scratching at all anymore, WAY less farting, and less poop.  So far, so good.
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Tonda

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
I don't think anything makes my beasts less farty, LOL! Though adding yogurt in seems to be helping a little. Thanks all that's holy.