Author Topic: Cattabrie YOU BRAT! UPDATE!!!  (Read 11572 times)

Offline gr8dame

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Cattabrie YOU BRAT! UPDATE!!!
« on: October 27, 2008, 05:17:37 am »
OK, :o
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:44:28 pm by gr8dame »

AudgePadge

Re: Cattabrie YOU BRAT!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 05:25:18 am »
 ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D little brat!  Monty used to houdini out of his crate too!! (I still have no idea how he got out-the door would still be locked and fastened when I came home!)

I'm not going to be any help to you, I just wanted to comment how SWEET she looks, that face is not the face of a couch eater...I think you're exaggerating Stella ;)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 05:28:18 am »
When I got out of college I bough a 600 Square Foot House that I shared with a Bull Mastiff and then my Dane so I know where youare coming from.  What type of crate are you using at the moment?  I may hae some ideas but would be cusious as to you current situation. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 05:57:02 am »
Would like a picture of the crate and then maybe we can come up with some more helpful ideas. Do you leave her with a kong full of frozen peanutbutter or anything to at least keep her occupied for a minute or two? Is there a bathroom or anywhere else you could put the crate so at least when she did get out couldn't eat the couch? Have you tried pretending to leave and then catching her at it so she gets in trouble at the moment?
Good Luck!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 06:01:43 am »
Oh man,  what a powerhouse of a pup!!   No suggestions for you, just my well wishes for a solution to save your house and furniture.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 06:12:04 am »
I have no ideas either.  My boy would throw himself on the door of the crate till he was bleeding all over the place.  Crating just didn't work for him, to our couches dismay  :(  But i wanted to say how innocent and sweet she looks.  Or is it just full?

Tonda

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 07:50:32 am »
Hmmmmmmmmm, one of our Newfs had to be "crated" in the bathroom (aka, the bathroom WAS his crate). He wasn't happy, and he did mess up the door, but it worked. His bed took up 99% of the bathroom floor, so it really wasn't much bigger than a crate.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:54:01 am »
pictured below is a clip I have used on cages before, don't know what they are called, cost like 49 cents at any hardware store. They just screw together to open or close and don't pull apart as easy as a caribiner, the cage would bend first. I have a heavy duty plastic crate, but she would probably just chew through it. ::)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:37:22 am »
Ok, here are some suggestions but not sure how they will work on the Incredible Cattabrie.  By the way, does she turn green right before the jail break?  :D

How about a snap hook - it's used on the ends of leashes and for hooking key rings to belt loops.  I have used them with macaws on the cages to keep them from opening their doors and they work great.

A small piece of bailing wire can be used to tie the doors shut in strategic places.  Just need to make sure that she isn't chewing on them so she doesn't get hurt.  Bailing wire is flexible enough you can tie it off by hand without using pliers and it won't break easily.

They also make reusable zip ties/cable ties.  Same procedure as the bailing wire.

The other option I have used is using the bathroom as a crate or safe room.  Just remove everything that can be eaten and babylock the cabinets if you have any.  You could spray the cabinets with bitter apple to keep her from chewing.

Good luck.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »
If she bent the carabiner was bent I wonder if it was a real hiking one or one of the keychain type ones, because my 9 year old has bent those.  Perhaps find a mountain equipment co=op or something to get a proper carabiner that is weight rated for more weight.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »
I second the snap hooks.  We've had any number of fosters who hated the crate and the snap hooks were the only thing we found that worked.  We used a couple on the door and another 3 or 4 across each top line of the crate (front and back).  If you try them, got the large heavy duty ones. 

Of course you'll still want to put in a kong or two or marrow bone to keep Cattabrie occupied in the crate.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 04:19:05 am »
OH Stella I feel your pain. Rosie was the same way. We would lock her up with Farley even though Farley was past crating. It seemed to calm her with him with her. We would come home and Farley would be in the crate and a wacky weim would greet us at the door.Farley looked so ticked...lol Rosie actually broke some of the welds on her crate too. She was getting out from other spots than the door area so we used those plastic locking self locking ties like mentioned in Kathryns post, to tie those areas. They worked awsome! We even flipped the crate upside down so the area she was getting under the door was at the top. She still managed to endanger herself so much that we gave up.( not what you wanted to hear  ;) )
I hope your clip worked today ;)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 06:15:23 am »
IS the a possibility of building a more structurally sound house?  Plywood/ Wire windows, locking doors etc...  IF done trastefully it could match your interior and if built properly would comfortable house your monster while containing at the same time.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:42 am »
Ok, I only skimmed through this thread, but I didn't see this idea.

Stella? Can you exercise her heavily in the morning before work and then again in the evening? Like, you know, running, ball throwing rope tugging breaking a sweat exercise? It sounds to me like she needs to be all worn out before she gets put in that crate.

My neighbor used to have a Destructo. He bought a new bike and a to hook the dog to the bike. He would get up super early and take her for a bike ride. Well, he would be riding and she would be running along next to him. It totally worked. He would do it again in the evening. SHe was so tuckered out, she became the most obedient mellow dog EVER.

Get Casey to do it.

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 10:05:35 am »
I don't know why it took out the name of the hook thing. Its called the Springer. Its really cool. I guess maybe a dog as big and um, enthusiastic as Cattbrie might not be good on a bike...hahaha. ...sorry...vis ions of Stella being dragged down the road, 928374923847 miles an hour on a bike with Dale running behind...BUWAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA H

woooooh, boy. That was funny. Anyway, yeah. Maybe just some intense ball throwing or jogging.