Author Topic: Cat Gurus...Cat always throwing up?  (Read 6474 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Cat Gurus...Cat always throwing up?
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:33:27 pm »
Hi all,
We had a tumor removed on our 10 year old cat about a week ago. He's always been one to throw up once or twice a week due to hairballs, but now if throwing up many times a day. It's actually most liquid, not food, and he is still eating. The vet says it's not due to his surgery and they really are giving no other advice. He is still on the same food (some cheap brand I think...this is actually my moms cat). Do I need to switch him to a higher quality cat food? Could this be the cause? Does anyone else know what might be causing it? We're quite worried.
We'll get the test results for the tumor back soon, but the vet wasn't worried.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Gurus...Cat always throwing up?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »
Sorry this should be on the NDR board--sorry everyone!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:43:47 pm »
It could be the food--I first switched my cats over to Califonia Natural and then eventually a grain-free food, EVO, and they stopped throwing up. However, I lost a previous cat to an undiagnosed illness in which he was throwing up lots of liquid all the time and no one could figure out why.  I ended up having him PTS. I certainly don't want to alarm you, and since the vet thinks it's not related to his surgery then you could try a new food and see if it helps.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:58:33 pm »
Has your vet checked your cat's thyroid levels?  Our cat, Blackberry, is very hyper-thyroid and she used to vomit up straight fluid or fluid with hairballs more before she was put on meds to control her thyroid condition.  Just a thought....  Oh & I agree that a really good quality food may help a lot, too.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:18:15 am »
Have you had a full blood panel done?

My 12 year old is a puker.. turns out he was in kidney failure.  :'(

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:29:09 am »
Also have them check for irritable bowel syndrome. My 13 yr old cat has that. I did change to better food as well but even with the meds he pukes alot of liquid but eats like a pig. Does he have diarrhea as well?
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:23:48 am »
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the suggestions. When he went in for his surgery we did a full blood panel, and had pretty much everything checked. I just talked to my mom and she says they did check his thyroid, as she had the whole 9-yards done. She's going to get some hairball paste today, and will gradually switch his food over. I feed my dog Innova, so we'll see what Innova has at the dog/cat food store in town, for cat food. She's also going to call another vet today. We live in a rural setting, so I'm not always very thrilled with our vets, and sometimes am skeptical as to how much they know, compared to vets in bigger areas. Maybe I'll make some phone calls to some other larger clinics as well!
If anyone else thinks of anything, please let me know!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:36 am »
My kitty was a puker too, she gulps her food, so we had to feed her smaller amounts thoughout the day or put some object in her bowl to slow her down...same tactics if she was a puppy ;)

Offline FurTornado

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 05:53:31 am »
I also raised my cat's bowl. She seemed to enjoy it more. I had it in a goblet I got at a renaissance fest. I also had to make sure her water bowl was constantly cleaned because she loved to watch things float in the bowl.  :)

Hope the hairball meds helped. I think my kitty did that too and that was her problem at the time.
Owned by a Weim, Dobie, Mal, and Sheltie!