Author Topic: Info about Dog Food...............  (Read 17132 times)

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
Info about Dog Food...............
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:01:53 pm »
Hello Everyone!
First let me say thanks to all the people who answered my last question about some other dog food brand. Well i have another question about the dog food called "Diamond Naturals
Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Formula" i know that some people dont like this food brand.....but i know they have just changed their Chicken & Rice Formula to be better than the last.

Here are the NEW Ingredients::::

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

And here is the Guaranteed Analysis:::

Crude Protein 26.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 16.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.5% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

So my question is>>> Is it much better than their last Ingredients? I and some of my friends are thinking about switching to this dog food......

Thanks so much!! :)

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Info about Dog Food...............
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:15:22 pm »
i most certainly could be wrong about this, but diamond as a company has had many recalls...many of them MAJOR recalls.  That is why so many people don't like it.  Although, i do feed that particular food to my malinois, although my dane is allergic to it.  SO...go figure!!! To each their own!

Tonda

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:41:13 pm »
GAWL expresses the concern that a lot of us have perfectly. Regardless of the ingredient list, I simply don't trust ANYTHING made by Diamond.

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:45:43 pm »
Thanks "Guardian Angel's White lightning" :)
And yes "Diamond" has had many recalls in the past. But they have improved their food since then....not much but they have improved it. So i was thinking about this food since they have made new changes to it. I was just wondering is it a improvment from the last Ingredients.?

But thanks "Guardian Angel's White lightning".
How does your "Malinois" do on Diamond Chicken and rice?

Proud Owner Of

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:59 pm »
Julie.....

I have talked to so many Dog Show people and Many Breeders that swear by "Purina" dog foods......
And their dogs look amazing!!! I have talked to a breeder and show person about Diamond dog foods and she has been using it for 10 years and her dogs do great on it and they look stunning! I have tried "Candiea All Life Stages"......That did not work out at all. So i was asking about Premium Edge Chicken, Rice & Vegetables and Diamond Chicken and rice dog foods, because it is at my local feed store and many Akita people have told be chicken and rice is best for Akitas. So thats what i wanted to switch to. Many breeders and Akita show people say they swear by "Purina" dog foods and they were telling me to switch to Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Dog Food thats what they feed. And their dogs look Amazing!

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about Pro Plan Chicken & Rice, Premium Edge Chicken, Rice & Vegetables or Diamond Chicken and rice or even "Exclusive" Chicken & Rice Formula....... .Geezzz

Proud Owner Of

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:21:43 pm »
I can tell you that the Akita/Shiba breeders I know do indeed feed Pro Plan, and their dogs do look great, they also eat more than my Mastiff mix a day, of the Innova he eats 4 cups a day.  Of Pro Plan he would need over 5 cups, just so he can turn the added corn to poop, YAY.

Back to the Akita/Shiba breeders, they add about 15 or more things to the Pro Plan, oils for coat, bitches get raspberry leaves, other things that I cant remember, stuff that higher quality dog foods already add.

Tonda

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 06:14:28 pm »
Julie.....

Akita people have told be chicken and rice is best for Akitas. So thats what i wanted to switch to. Many breeders and Akita show people say they swear by "Purina" dog foods and they were telling me to switch to Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Dog Food thats what they feed. And their dogs look Amazing!

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about Pro Plan Chicken & Rice, Premium Edge Chicken, Rice & Vegetables or Diamond Chicken and rice or even "Exclusive" Chicken & Rice Formula....... .Geezzz

You asked (on multiple posts) and many of us responded. There are also TONS of posts on the food sub list where kibbles have been discussed at length (not to mention Holly's lengthy "dissertation" on the subject). If breeders who you trust are telling you to feed Diamond, and the numerous problems they've had don't deter you, then FEED DIAMOND (or Purina or whatever else is being recommend by people you trust more than you trust us), just don't expect those of us who think this food is CRAP to tell you you're making a good/reasonable/safe/healthy decision for your dogs.

Honestly, if you were confident in the decision to feed Diamond or Purina, I don't think you'd be asking us about the choice multiple times.

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:22:42 am »
PURINA!!??!!

I was HORRIFIED when the rescue told me Chantilly was eating Purina Puppy Garbage. I wanted to send quality food to the shelter until I could rescue her.

I would and do, trust Holly or Julie or any regular on BPO before I would trust a breeder--unless I was guaranteed the breeder cared about the puppies' overall health....and wasn't simply breeding for the $$money$$

Not trying to be judgmental or harsh, but perhaps these "Breeders and Dog Show" people live on McDonald's? AKA "Purina Dog Chow for Humans" (Sorry Ronald McD)

Thanks to Holly, Julie, and BPO as a whole, my girls eat at "Outback" or "Texas Roadhouse"...just like the rest of my family..  :D 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:57:20 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:41:42 am »
PURINA!!??!!

Not trying to be judgmental or harsh, but perhaps these "Breeders and Dog Show" people live on McDonald's? AKA "Purina Dog Chow for Humans" (Sorry Ronald McD)

BHAHAHAHA! Your post made me laugh  :D :D :D
When Lily and I travel to the shows Lily's daily diet consist of two double cheeseburgers with nothing on it from McDonalds!

Now, back to the original poster...If you have seen amazing dogs fed Diamond and Purina Food why are you bothering with researching and not not accepting anybody's suggestions  ???
I have amazing friends who eat ONLY fast food and look pretty darn good...is it healthy? Why is it that almost EVERYONE talks about how important it is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and homemade meals for humans but can't even discuss "healthier options of processed food" for dogs?  :-\

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 08:03:03 am »
I have amazing friends who eat ONLY fast food and look pretty darn good.

Funny, all the people I know who eat only fast food are fat and have really bad skin.

Maybe, that's because they never order salads  :-\ LOL
Gosh, Holly, that guy above is gross!  :P ::)
Mary W. Crane

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:19:20 am »
I have amazing friends who eat ONLY fast food and look pretty darn good.

Funny, all the people I know who eat only fast food are fat and have really bad skin.

Maybe, that's because they never order salads  :-\ LOL
Gosh, Holly, that guy above is gross!  :P ::)

I like that barfing guy..I think we should ask Purina to add him to the "Warning label" of their packaging..heh heh heh... :D  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:20:08 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:44:59 pm »
WOW....

I really did not expect for everyone to be so rude and Practically yelling at me. I was just wanting everyones opinion on the dog food. NOW i am double thinking if i made a HUGE mistake ever joining this forum! I was not expecting everyone to yell at me. I just wanted opinions on the FOOD not about how i am asking it. I just wanted to share on what other people i know have have been feeding and is the food any good.? Thats why i join here to talk to NICE dog owners and find out info on dog foods. Well instead on me feeding Diamond dog foods what does everyone think about "Solid Gold Barking at the Moon" or "Authority Harvest Baked Chicken Dog Food or Nature's Recipe Dog Food  ? and dont yell at me if you think it is awful food. Just tell me what you know about it and is it good. Dont yell at me saying i am a bad dog owner for even thinking of that food. I not a Expert thats why i join here to learn more about dog foods and other stuff. So please dont be rude.
And i want to thank everyone how was being nice.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:57:33 pm by Akitamom08 »

Proud Owner Of

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 02:11:54 pm »
Amy, nobody yelled or was rude to you by any means  :-\
You asked for an opinion and you have heard what people had to say  :( You were provided with wonderful information on where to find analysis of kibble and how to evaluate it yourself...I think we were pretty helpful  ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 02:37:32 pm »
I'm highjacking the thread for a minute.  I just confused myself.  For some reason, I was thinking that if I am looking for a chicken based food that I wanted to see chicken and then chicken meal in the first 2 slots of ingredients.  Do I just want to see the chicken meal because it's already dried out and is at a dry weight so that means that there is more chicken than if it was just chicken? 

Back to the regular thread.  I tried the Solid Gold Barking at the Moon for my dogs and they didn't like it.  However, I saw that it's now a grain-free food and I don't think that it was before.  Not sure how it is and I haven't tried any of the others.  I have used Innova, Evo, and now Wellness Core and I love these foods.  If you are looking for a more moderately priced food I have used the Natural Balance and liked it as well. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 04:43:11 pm »
LOL GAWL!!! lol...ok now back to seriousness... i think everyone here is in agreement about diamond.  BUT...my malinois is doing great on the food, but i do have to say her coat is not shiny (poop is great).  (we will be switching soon)  BUT...they are now doing 151 different checks on the food.  If people here are saying too many died...then perhaps we should relook the amount of menufoods that killed MILLIONS of animals.  So every company can have it's issues, just like Canidae now is horrible, and merrick had metal in their food, and old mother hubbard sold themselves, so every food has negatives.  I think it is a too each their own.  I personally have done extencive research, as my dog has ULTRA ULTRA sensitive stomach, and reguardless of what i think or what others think, it is what works for your dog.  Diamond does not work for our dane, as posted on here before we had to rush her to the er...but the mal is doing great on it. Right now we switched the dane to chicken soup for the pet lovers soul, it is holistic and i really like it.  If diamond is your choice of food, so be it!!!  ;D I have tried a lot of things for our titan (mastiff) and finally we settled with nutro..i hate the food itself, but...it is what works for him not for me.  I hope that diamond works for you.  I do know that, being here, no one is yelling, they are just expressing their concern which i understand completely.  Good luck in your search!!