Author Topic: Why would you eat your bed?  (Read 16693 times)

Viking Lady

Why would you eat your bed?
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:43:41 pm »
I bought a wonderful huge pillow for Luke and he really likes sleeping on it. Last week he chewed a big hole in one side overnight and pulled out all the stuffing. So I bought some fabric and sewed a whole new side on it, even working around a zipper. I stuffed all the "innerds" into a new plastic bag that I made from a human mattress cover. Tonight he chewed a hole in the other side and started pulling everything out.

To those of you whose dogs sleep on such things, what are they made of? Am I the only one with a dog this bad?

Tonda

Re: Why would you eat your bed?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:05:39 pm »
No, lots of dogs eat/shred their beds (esp as puppies).

Offline goldensaint723

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »
My dogs have ate my bed. They started at a string and put a huge whole in the side of my mattress and this has happened twice now once with a single mattress and with my new double mattress. I think they have fun shredding things sometimes maybe bored or trying to get comfortable.
Owned by 3 saints and a Jack Russell Terror
Cujo saint bernard
Macey saint bernard
Kodiak saint bernard
Angel Jack Russell
 River waiting at the bridge

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:08:13 am »
Maple ate lots of dog pillows while she was growing up.   :D  They must have tasted really good.  For the last 3 years (she's 7 now), she has stopped eating them.  For my first dog, I made pillow covers out of old bluejeans, and they held up better than any store bought pillows.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:45:24 am »
Its not just your dog...Tucker ate 3 beds, of different sizes, materials, textures.  We tried three different kinds, from cheap to moderately pricey....and this fourth one (knock on wood) seems to be unchewed so far.  Its just a plush, almost quilted, pad.  Rubber stickys on the bottom to supposedly prevent it from sliding around (they don't work).  This one cost $30 from our local Pisces pet store, I'm sure they have them in other places.

Good luck!
Sarah
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline BrewMaster

• Ankle Biter
  • My dog is a giant creature from the muppet show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:59:32 am »
Our St. Bernard/Irish wolfhound mix Barron used to chew - but he didn't chew up his doggy bed.  He chewed my sofa coushions to swiss cheese once when we left and he chewed up one of our dinning room chairs once too.  For him I think it was more anxiety related as he was a very anxious dog most of the time.  I would have been so much more relieved if it had been his dogbed, but what are you going to do?  Our new couch is more comfy anyway.
-Anna
Brutus - 50% Pyrenees, 25% Irish Wolfhound, 25% St. Bernard

Penny - Welsh Corgi Mix

Peggy Sue - Blue & Gold Macaw

Benny & BatToo - Cockatoos

...And Flock!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:26:38 am »
Cattabrie has torn apart every bed we have ever put in her crate. We just give her cheap blankets now, and she shreds them as well.
Stella

Gunner does the SAME EXACT THING!!!!!  So frustrating!!
I tried putting a kong inn his crate to keep him busy but I guess he gets bored with the kong and goes back to shredding the blankets.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:09 am »
Harley's elbows are bald because when he was little he ate everything we put in the crate - many dog beds, blankets, pillows etc.  I bought a bed that was "bite proof" it felt like a heavy canvas and he actually still has it (it does have a hole in it now but that was about 3 years ago) I'm thinking of getting him a new one for Chanukah.

Tonda

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
My Staffie destroyed a "pit bull tested" Rhino kong thingy in about 40 minutes, LOL! I mailed the company the pieces along with a letter stating that if they really wanted to call something "pit bull tested" they needed to send the prototypes to me!

They did mail me a replacement toy . . . which she chewed into pieces in about 40 minutes. Never got any prototypes though. *shrug*

Of course she also licked the walls till the plaster got soft and then ate it, ate the banister rails, edges of the stairs, and any and all wooden furniture. Beast.

Viking Lady

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 12:04:11 pm »
Well........I feel much better now, knowing this will go on FOREVER!!It's really kind of funny to read all the posts on BPO. Here are all these people who are so honestly and completely in love with these big, precious dogs who are big PAINS IN THE BUTT. me too

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 02:39:04 pm »
you're not alone.  Grace loves her pillows/beds.  But Lady...I couldn't get her a bed without it getting torn apart during the day while I was at work.  I'd come home and see a little Rottie face poking out of what must have been a ton of stuffing.  I finally resorted to gluing carpet onto the bottom of her crate.  She just refused to leave a bed intact.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 02:41:40 pm »
Kaila and Shiner weren't too bad as pups.  Kaila had a knack for eating the phone cord and my camera cord but that's about all.  She also ate anything put in her kennel with her.  So I just stopped putting stuff in her kennel.  She has never liked kongs to keep her from chewing.

However, I did have a couple of Dalmation/Lab mixes that ate the carpet, cabinets, and doors when we lived in an apartment.  I still miss those girls.  :-[
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 02:51:24 pm »
My two 8 month old pyrs are on the third bed. So for now I just put the stuffin back in it each morning and they unstuff it at night. They have two beds in their room and they only kill on at a time.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 03:23:13 am »
the answer to this is because they can!!
my 2 pyr pups (almost a yr old now) will eat any bed they can and also ate my couch.  they love tearing out the stuffing and making a mess.  they are my little monsters but I love them anyway. 

Tonda

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 03:59:04 am »
However, I did have a couple of Dalmation/Lab mixes that ate the carpet, cabinets, and doors when we lived in an apartment.  I still miss those girls.  :-[

My puppers have discovered they can hook their teeth in the carpet and pull out loooooooooooon g strands (kind of like unwinding a sweater). *sigh* Good thing I was planning on tearing it out soon anyway . . .