Author Topic: Oh No! Cleaning assistance needed  (Read 4583 times)

Viking Lady

Oh No! Cleaning assistance needed
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:01:57 am »
Luke snatched my red acrylic paint yesterday and I had to chase him into the den to get it, where he squirted a couple drops on the carpet. I immediately cleaned it with soap and water, since it's so washable. This morning it had turned into a pink spot the size of a salad plate. Does anyone know a good cleaner?

yellow_dog_mom

Re: Oh No! Cleaning assistance needed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:19:48 am »
I use the Bissel SpotBot for all things small. If you aren't familiar with it, it's a cleaning machine about the size of a sewing machine and cleans exceptionally well. It also has some type of oxy power booster--one bottle of regular carpet shampoo and one bottle of the Oxy comes with the machine. I love it.

Did you try Dawn? It works great, I used it with water/vinegar before I bought the SpotBot.

In your case I'd seriously consider calling a carpet cleaning professional who deals with red stain removal.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:50:14 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline einalem

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 07:47:57 am »
So I would like to clean the carpet in my apartment and someone said they have the Bissel cleaner and i need to get the shampoo but I have no idea where to get it. I need it to clean a large area though, should I go with something else? Can you help?
I love my boys:
Shoda -> Akita
Russell -> Chihuahua Pomeranian
Nemo -> My cat

And the new member of the family,
Lady -> Pomeranian

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:54:47 am »
I have a Bissell carpet cleaner and I have always gotten the shampoo at WalMart. They have several kinds of cleaners and fragrances,etc.

When I used to clean my OLD carpet I used laundry detergent in the machine and it did a great job. But I notice the instructions always say to use their products so I don't want to recommend anything wrong. The laundry soap just seemed like cleaning with soap and water and it smelled good.

The carpet I have to clean now is pretty new and it's (yikes!) my mom's.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:11 am »
If I remember correctly my sister once used regular colgate shaving cream on a juice stain.  The carpet was white and she scrubbed in the shaving cream like carpet cleaner and then blotted dry and vacuumed and it got up the stain. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:20:16 am »
i learned that white vinager works as well as hydrogen peroxide

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 11:32:08 am »
Thanx everybody. I am going to see what I can do with my remedies and suggestions. With my luck I will probably end up calling Stanley Steemer and getting their $100 special!! Grrrrr.

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:10:38 pm »
A great website you should check out is http://srfabrics.com/care/stain.htm
it has a plethora of information on how to remove almost all kinds of stains and is really useful!
Hope the red paint comes out, if not call it art (a la luke  :))

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 12:43:08 pm »
try renting a steamer vac from the grocery store. I used one a couple weeks ago on a tenant's rent and where there was a stain I used the small attachment to go over just the spot a few times and they pretty much all came out. And doing it yourself is alot  - I paid about $35 for the machine rental with the extra attachment for the day and $12 for the cleaning solution
RIP former BPO

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »

For me, the challenge is finding the right cleaner for the issue, that is ALSO non-toxic for the paws walking around bare on the surface.

So I always use OxyClean or Petastic to clean all of my rugs and carpets - even to sanitize stone.  Petastic is a great natural enzyme cleaner and the best on the market.  OxyClean can often lift a lot of fresher stains as long as they aren't set - even wine.

For even heavier duty, you can also use hydrogen peroxide - but test on colored carpet in an inconspicuous spot first.

Whatever you do - avoid shampoos and anything with actual detergent in them - those actually set in the carpet and attract dirt - making soiling a compounding problem and you never truly get them out of your carpets, once in.

I use Bissell cleaning products - including Proheat and spotbot...but if professional steam is needed, then I only consider and use ChemDry (non-toxic and soap free).

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar