Author Topic: waterer  (Read 10010 times)

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
waterer
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:10:08 pm »
Hi all,
    I posted here about 1 year back.  I talked to a lot of you about finding a newf breeder.  Well, I'm getting my boy sometime this week.  I can't believe it's happening.  I'm so excited.  So.. here's my question.  I have tried a big jug "bistro" waterer with my goldens that I have here but I've got one that likes to dig in it.  Now I use a rectangle crock and that seems to deter him a little.  I know that my newfie is going to want to dig in the water.  What do you all use???

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: waterer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:56:52 pm »
I like raised water bowls, and they are less likely to dig in a raised water bowl. But I don't know if there is an automatic waterer that is raised
RIP former BPO

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:48:24 pm »
I like raised water bowls, and they are less likely to dig in a raised water bowl. But I don't know if there is an automatic waterer that is raised
Clifford has an automatic waterer that is raised ;D ::) ;D

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:04:18 pm »
hehe.....I know it's late at night and I should be asleep but I couldn't stop laughing!!!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:38:32 am »
[/quote]

I think that is every dog's favorite drinking bowl!! My goofy cats like it as well.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

jesday

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:42:51 am »
Seems to be the theme. I put a three gallon watering jug from PetSmart/PetCo up on a plastic milk crate. You know those stacking squares. They're pretty cheap and slopping water and drool can't hurt it. :D

If you ask the dog,I'm sure he'd much prefer Clifford's setup ;D

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:40:48 pm »
Cliff is a genious.  Very funny picture.  I thought you were serious until I saw the pic.  Cute. 

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:42:44 pm »
That's a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!   So you put the jug waterer on a milk crate?  Has it ever gotten knocked over???  That's genious!

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:44:16 pm »
Wow!  That's a great idea as well.  You guys are all really smart.  You can tell this is my first BIG dog.  I've had goldens but I feel like I'm entering a whole new world.  Thanks for the help.

jesday

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:43:16 pm »
That's a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!   So you put the jug waterer on a milk crate?  Has it ever gotten knocked over???  That's genious!

I've knocked it over because I'm a bit of a clutz. ::) But neither of the bubs have. :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:33:44 pm »

Oh Clifford!!!!  Are you digging for golden nuggets?  looks like a good time. Is there an echo in there?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:34:17 pm by Lin »

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:04:48 pm »
Hey all,   
I was perusing the posts and saw my original post about waterers. (or however you spell that)  Anyway... just so everyone is clear I did not end up bring home the male newf that I was refering to in the original message.  His breeder changed her mind about rehoming him.  Instead of a pet she turned him into a stud (at 11 months old... don't EVEN get me started.)  However, it all worked out for the best because I WILL be getting an 18 month old female named Sushi in a little less than 2 weeks.  Everything works out!!!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:51:30 am »
Since Athena was my first great dane I was glad she was a little older (9 mons). Everything does work out for a reason but I also agree the breeder needs a good slap!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 11:46:08 am »
I can't wait to see pics of your girl!  And that so-called "breeder" shouldn't be allowed to have dogs!

We built Sierra a raised feeder.  It's a box with cut outs for the food and water bowls to sit in.  Her water bowl is actually a five gallon bucket that she can't dig in.  She doesn't drink from it much though because she prefers fresh cold water from the tub faucet.   ;D
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

jesday

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 12:06:10 pm »
She doesn't drink from it much though because she prefers fresh cold water from the tub faucet.   ;D

Isn't that the truth. We spend all this money to make sure they have a good supply of water and they still want you to hold the hose. :D

We did get a great sonar operated one we put on an outside faucet. It works great in above freezing weather. There is a sensor that turns on the water when the dog approaches and turns off when he leaves. If the dog decides to lie down in front of it, or something obstructs the sensor it automatically shuts off after 10 minutes so it doesn't run all day. If you are interested I will go look for the brand name in the garage. We had to bring it in for the winter and I'm back to using the hose from inside garage faucet.