Author Topic: How often to you give them a bath?  (Read 20364 times)

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How often to you give them a bath?
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:36:22 am »
Our puppy is now 11 weeks old and he got a bath before we picked him up when he was 8 weeks. I'd like to give him another bath soon, but I've heard you shouldn't bathe them too often, so I was just wondering what everone else does?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: How often to you give them a bath?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:19:40 am »
At that puppy stage when they are always getting into trouble, I bath whenever they have gotten into something gross. I just add a conditioner, since the reason you aren't supposed to bathe too often is that it strips the natural oils (and the conditioner helps replace that moisture). Besides the emergency grossness baths, we bathe every 3-4 months
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:47:06 am »
I do the same.. every 3-4 months unless they have gotten into something yucky. Like Bubba rolling Lola into a pile of poop. GAG  :D Mud I just wait until it dries and brush it out with a slicker brush.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:08:42 am »
Between 9 and 11 weeks Clifford got 2 baths, once nicely in the tub, the next time on the deck with the hose in freezing weather at 10 at night, both times were after he pooped in his crate and got it all over himself. I agree with everyone else, every approx 4 months or when too stinky to stand. I do brush him every day and occasionally use a damp wash cloth to wipe off whatever he has gotten into.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:40:48 pm »
I bathed Grace every weekend or other weekend as a puppy to get her used to getting baths, which i knew would be difficult to do if she didn't like them after she got to be too heavy to lift.  Now, I'm lucky to get her in the tub once a month since it is such a hassel.  She fights it and wiggles and runs when she knows it time for a bath.  Luckily, she doesn't get into a lot of stinky stuff and isn't as smelly as she would get as a puppy.
dogs with long hair would be a serious chore with the drying and grooming involved.  I guess we do what we gotta do.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:48:41 pm »
I'm different than most because Bear gets a bath once a month. He stinks and feels gross so we do it. Our breeder and her handlers said it was fine. He has a beautiful coat that is shiny and strong.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:53:23 pm »
I too wash the boys about every 3 months or so unless they play in mud or at the beach then I might rinse them down or bathe them. I definitely don't do it on a regular basis, their coats maintain themselves well and they aren't stinky. A healthy food will make a dog way less stinky coat and breath wise (can't promise rosey smelling gas! :D ) Both of my boys are great about baths they just hop in and let me wash them, I think they know that the more still they are the faster the bath goes.

I wish Grace would cooperate like that.  I try to calm her in the tub by singing the baffy song. 
You should hear me singing to her "Scrubby scrubby scrubby in the tubby tubby tubby and the puppy puppy puppy getting clean".  i have another little song that goes with baffy too.

Viking Lady

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:54:34 pm »
I'm dying to give Luke another bath cuz he just looks so dirty. He doesn't smell but his elbows and tummy are filthy. It's gotten kinda cold here, in the 60's, and I have to bathe him outside.

I tried to introduce him to the hair dryer last time and he hated it. So it's towel drying for him. He does seem to be getting fond of the vacuum cleaner for some reason.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 03:56:14 pm »
I'm dying to give Luke another bath cuz he just looks so dirty. He doesn't smell but his elbows and tummy are filthy. It's gotten kinda cold here, in the 60's, and I have to bathe him outside.

I tried to introduce him to the hair dryer last time and he hated it. So it's towel drying for him. He does seem to be getting fond of the vacuum cleaner for some reason.

Oh the vacuum.  I can say that word and Grace gets up on the couch and/or runs.  she's started to rush the vacuum and bark at it these last couple of months.  Not her favorite thing in the world.

Viking Lady

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 04:01:09 pm »
That's what Luke did at first. The last two times he kept acting like he wanted to play with it. I vacuumed all the way down the hall with him going backwards and trying to paw it and sniff it. I hope he's not 'teched in the head cuz it was weird.

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 04:11:47 pm »
How do you rinse when you bathe her in the tub? Last time I did that Luke was small enough that I just rinsed him off with a big platic cup that I kept filling from the faucet about ten thousand times. I can't imagine getting him rinsed off now.....oh, and I need a song.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 04:33:31 pm »
Don't
I'm different than most because Bear gets a bath once a month.
Don't worry, with the "yuck" factor, Penny probably gets a bath once a month too  :P Just not an all out regularly scheduled grooming.
RIP former BPO

lookingfornewf

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
I wish Grace would cooperate like that.  I try to calm her in the tub by singing the baffy song. 
You should hear me singing to her "Scrubby scrubby scrubby in the tubby tubby tubby and the puppy puppy puppy getting clean".  i have another little song that goes with baffy too.
[/quote]
I'm sorry, but I can't resist. Are you sure that maybe Grace doesn't like her bath because she doesn't appreciate your singing ::) ;D
I find it easier to bath Clifford in the bathtub than outside. In the bath we have a hand held shower head for wetting down and rinsing. Outside he has too much room to move around and thinks it's more of a game. He actually likes the blow dryer. We worked up to it slowly giving him lots of treats. I must admit when he first gets out of the tub and shakes I do end up drying the bathroom walls top to bottom.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:57:37 am »
I'm sorry, but I can't resist. Are you sure that maybe Grace doesn't like her bath because she doesn't appreciate your singing ::) ;D
I find it easier to bath Clifford in the bathtub than outside. In the bath we have a hand held shower head for wetting down and rinsing. Outside he has too much room to move around and thinks it's more of a game. He actually likes the blow dryer. We worked up to it slowly giving him lots of treats. I must admit when he first gets out of the tub and shakes I do end up drying the bathroom walls top to bottom.
[/quote]

that might be it.  :)  i have one of those hand held shower things too.  Nothing about baths makes her happy.  I tried the outside bath once...and I didn't catch her for about 3 hours after the water went on.

Tonda

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:52:24 am »
I've got something similar that runs off the shower (you flip a knob to switch from shower to hose). Works great.