Author Topic: HELP! Clifford peed/marked in Petsmart  (Read 9132 times)

lookingfornewf

HELP! Clifford peed/marked in Petsmart
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:08:08 am »
Clifford is about 15 months old now. For about a month he has been marking when we go out for a walk. If I catch him trying to mark on something I tug him away and tell him no. Today is the first day he has done it indoors. We were just walking past one of the racks in Petsmart with nobody around us and he lifted his leg and peed on it. ??? (Too bad it wasn't that lady that gave Stella a hard time in Petsmart) He tried serveral more places and I kept pulling him away to the middle of the aisles.
My question is- He has not been neutered yet, will that take care of the need to mark? I was going to wait until about 18-24 months. I heard enough arguements on health and growth I decided to wait. I have had my other pets "fixed" as early as the vet will do it and never did plan to breed Clifford. I am going to my Mom's house next month for about a week over Christmas and am very concerned he might decide to mark there. If neutering will take care of that he is going in very very soon.

Nicole

Re: HELP! Clifford peed/marked in Petsmart
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:10:47 am »
Ok. Well, I wouldn't really worry about him marking in Pet Smart. It would be hard for any non-neutered boy to resist! What with all of those other dogs around there.

I would say that the neutering will help, but...well... I don't know. I would do it ASAP. My kitty wasn't neutered until he was an adult, and I tell you, he still marks like a tom cat. The other two were neutered as little kittens, and they never mark. So, it might just be anecdotal, but I really believe that the earlier you neuter the better with a male animal.

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:03 am »
I wouldn't worry either. It's possible another dog had already marked there.

Bubba never marked indoors either but when I was dropping him off at the vet's for his neuter (He just turned 3) he lifted his leg and peed on the corner of the counter. He hasen't marked anywhere indoors since. Outside is another story, but he's welcome to mark anywhere he wants as long as it's outside.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:17:25 am by Lyn »

Tonda

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:14 am »
My mom's female dog heists and marks, and she's been spayed since she was 4 months old! It may help, or it may not. *shrug* It's impossible to know.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:33:09 am »
It won't help a bit.  My pyr and my Tibetan were both neutered before I got them, Cody at 1 and Jake at 7 months.  They both will mark every counter in Petsmart, if I let them get close enough.  I try to walk them through very quickly and keep them in the middle of the isles.  So many dogs mark every counter in there, that any dog is going to top the smell that is there.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:50:05 am »
Anti-corporate rebellion?   ;D ;D
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:58:34 am »
We were just walking past one of the racks in Petsmart with nobody around us and he lifted his leg and peed on it.  (Too bad it wasn't that lady that gave Stella a hard time in Petsmart)
[/color]

the place is a regular symphony of scents

OK. I laughed right out loud at this. A symphony of scents! HAHAHAHAHAHHAH A!

That is such a good way to say it.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:59:43 pm »
Bear is 6, neutered, and still marks all the time. I call him the pee machine because he empties his reserve tank on long walks...seriou sly, I've never seen a dog tinkle so much!  ;D He pulled a Clifford once and lifted his leg, I caught him in time and only a small drip came out but I was horrified so I understand your pain.

Clifford is a good boy! I say let him pee wherever outdoor and keep a closer eye on him when in the pet store.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Viking Lady

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:01:30 pm »
Oh my gosh........I just read your post this morning and really just thought it humorous about the Pet Smart grumpy lady. I didn't know any answers to your question. Well, dang it, I let Luke in this afternoon for some indoor time and he went straight to the guestroom, lifted his leg at the foot of the bed,and peed on the bedspread. He has never done that since he house trained months agos. Like 5 months ago. What's going on? There are no other dog scents in there.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:54 pm »
Well I guess Clifford gets to keep himself intact for a few more months as it doesn't sound like it will help this problem. I really did want to wait until some time in the spring to get him neutered.
As for marking outside, my Jack Russel does it at almost every house we pass. She only weighs 17 pounds, I don't know how she even can hold enough to mark approx 100 times ::) I very rarely walk them together so don't think he has really learned this from her, just comes naturally. He has been to Petsmart many times before, but this is the first for that behavior inside. He's also been barking more at home lately too. I guess he is just testing things as he grows up.
Sorry to hear about Luke getting bad ideas too, is there a full moon or something we don't know about?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:24:14 pm »
All my males neutered or not..neutered young neutered old...didn't matter they still marked. Mostly at stores like Petsmart where when a dog pees on the corner they don't really clean the spot well. 
Good thought for everyone...nev er buy from the lower shelves at a pet store since you never know just what the bag has been soaked in :o

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 05:49:23 pm »
Zeus and Apollo were both neutered at the same time (about 1 year old).  Apollo will mark every corner at Petsmart if given the chance, and Zeus will sniff but not mark - ever.  I think it's a mental thing as much as hormonal.  My theory:  Zeus is just more sure of his superiority and doesn't feel he has anything to prove.  ;)  But I guess we can never truly know why they do what they do.