Author Topic: Question about weight loss  (Read 8235 times)

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Question about weight loss
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:32 pm »
5 months ago, I asked my vet for her honest opinion on Roxie's weight, to which she said 'slightly' overweight.  So, since then, I've been feeding her 'slightly' less Iams Healthy Naturals dry food (around 2 cups a day, down from 2.5), and I've also added more running and less walking into her everyday routine.

Fast forward to today, when I returned to have her bordetella shots updated.  I was secretly expecting to hear a compliment on how she'd returned to a healthy weight, but the staff actually freaked out when the initial weigh-in revealed she'd lost just over 8 pounds since her last visit (going from 63 to 55 lbs.).

I really didn't think it was any big deal, considering her weight loss occurred under what was essentially a diet, and over a span of 5 months - however, the vet was concerned enough that she asked to see her again in 2 weeks (despite admitting that her weight appears 'just fine').

So the questions I'm left with are:

1) Is there anything to be worried about? 
2) If so, what?

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Question about weight loss
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:09:07 pm »
Hmmmm, I really couldn't say without seeing Roxie but personally, I go by the ribs.  Can you feel her ribs w/o any layer of fat over them?  If so, that would be "too thin" in my book.  I like to be able to feel them, but through a little bit of a layer.

Also, have they done a fecal on her?  I ask b/c if she has worms, that might explain more weight loss than you would have anticipated given her diet.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:30:45 pm »
There's a big poster in my vet's office that talks about how the ribs correlate with proper weight, and according to that poster, Roxie is pretty close to her target weight: Her ribs aren't visible, but you can feel that they're there if you run your hands down her side.

I was just really surprised by the vet's reaction and thought maybe she was losing too much weight too fast, or there was some other danger I didn't know about. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:54:17 pm »
There's a big poster in my vet's office that talks about how the ribs correlate with proper weight, and according to that poster, Roxie is pretty close to her target weight: Her ribs aren't visible, but you can feel that they're there if you run your hands down her side.

I was just really surprised by the vet's reaction and thought maybe she was losing too much weight too fast, or there was some other danger I didn't know about. 

Well then, I sure see why you'd be surprised.  :-\  Did the vet say what she thinks is an ideal weight for Roxie and did she understand that it occurred over a 5 month period?  I know that they worry that rapid, unexplained weight loss can signal other health problems, but that doesn't sound like the case here at all.  Sorry, I can't be more help.   :-\  I just wanted to let you know that I sympathize.  Oh & welcome back, too!   :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 01:09:35 am »
I don't think a 10lb weight loss over 5 months, while on a diet and getting more exercise, is anything to be alarmed about. I have always been told that for dogs a pound a week is safe and healthy.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:41:16 am »
I wouldn't worry either  :) As long as she looks healthy and you have done annual fecal I wouldn't go back 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 12:30:41 pm »
That was actually the other reason I took Roxie in yesterday was to have a fecal exam done, but the vet came up empty-handed (quite literally), and gave me a do-it-yourself ziploc baggie.  Yay.  ::)

Anyway, thanks for the replies, ladies.  Always appreciated.  ;)